PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    maryb wrote: »
    Spuds and onions are less nickable by two legged or feathered thieving types and can be stored. After the Channel Islands were invaded in 1940 you couldn't get hold of an onion in late 1940 for love nor money because they were nearly all imported. Even next year onions were in short supply because there was very little seed to sow in January 1941. If you had home grown onions in store back then, they were extremely valuable barter commodities
    :) I read an anecdote from a lady who had a child then and one of the baptismal gifts was a bunch of onions, which was incredible, given how hard they were to get. She was utterly thrilled. Imagine giving a new mum the same today - her face would be a picture!

The folks are now on the last sack of the spuds which I grew on my allotment, which we harvested on 14th August. The total tally from 7.5 kg of seeds spuds was 134 kg, excluding any strays which may still come to light. I have about 10 kg left at the flat, they will be good for spuds into mid-late January. Excellent ROI for labour; bit of exercise planting them and a bit of exercise digging them up (we also dug up two toads, but they were unhurt and sloped off safely).

Once upon a time in WW2, in an occupied northern European city where a branch of my family have lived as ex-pats since before WW1, there was a certain suburb right beside the countryside. And in this countryside was a field of onions.

The people in the suburb were desperate to buy these onions but the farmer was holding out, aiming to drive the price higher and higher. The suspense went on and on, the people were getting angry.

One night, by arrangement, the entire suburb acted. The older children ringed the field, facing outwards, keeping watch. The adults dug. By morning, the field was bare and every single onion was secreted in the deepest cupboards of the residents. As told to me by a close relative who was one of the teen children ringing that field.

They also used to sneak out at night to cut branches off street trees for badly needed firewood. Grim times.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I've helped dig spuds in Wales & Estonia. Many hands make lighter work...
    I want to see my sons graduate, marry, become parents, meet my grandchildren.
    I also want to go back to Pamukkale & take in that incredible view more properly, likewise the Grand Canyon. Then hop around some of the greener heritage sites, see elephants & giraffes (I *could* skip the giraffes having loads of tall relatives) in their native environment while it still exists.
    However, if my eyes & ears & bones & bladder etc aren't up for that then I think time to advise the young to get on with it & let go.

This week however, wind up torch?! This one? (Looks happily like the Mountain Warehouse Ultra Bright 3 LED Dynamo Wind Up Torch Light Lamp one for a fiver on amazon at the mo - largely very well reviewed) & not the Rolson job which is cheaper & shows it.

Still trying to find a bathtub waterbob (even if it is only a one shot wonder) as the cheery souls at food storage made easy have helpfully put all their water gen in one location.

My Christmas list may look a tad odd, but my family ignore it anyway.
  • Dig top of my christmas list is a new ash bucket - on being told "xmas is for wants not needs" I explained that I ***want**** a new ash bucket!!!!
  • Dig top of my christmas list is a new ash bucket - on being told "xmas is for wants not needs" I explained that I ***want**** a new ash bucket!!!!

I ***want*** a set of socket spanners! But I expect I'll get some lovely bath smellies instead, most of which will bring me out in a rash. Sigh...
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :p A few years ago, Aunt and Uncle asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I told them - manure.

I got toiletries. I did get a socket set several years ago but it is on semi-permanant loan to Kid Bruv to keep in his car, since I not longer run one. I have made it clear that it's a loan, not a gift, however.

:j I'm getting slippers this year (needed) and some cash (always useful) and I can have some manure (paying for it from the gift cash), once I can find whomever on the allotments has got Farmer John's number, which I don't have any more.

Bring me 5 tonnes of the brown stuff and you can keep the fan.......:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'm getting a hedge trimmer... my dad organised all his Christmas shopping before he died. He always gave me stuff I needed. A few years ago GQ was very jealous of the bow saw he got for me :) And last year I got mole traps...
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I still don't know how the large wheelbarrow got under and half behind the Christmas tree while we were all at church 20 years ago.....
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    GQ: Some years ago I had a cottage next door to a farm. That year for Christmas my father got several enormous builders bags of well rotted manure. We had a gruesome, noisome journey on Christmas Day but it was well worth it. He nearly wept with delight. On Christmas afternoon we lolled around watching the Queen or reading our new books while Dad was happily shovelling manure in his kitchen garden.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • I got hideously lucky - having watched a block of flats grow from a brownfield site on my walk to the office, I could see when the chaps had all gone leaving an unattended skip. With a Haemmerlin barrow with a thin concrete lining abandoned on it.

That came *straight* home with me, and has been used both as wheelbarrow & lounging opportunity by the offspring.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yup, they're back. At least one was just now, crawling up my dishwasher. :(

This year I thought I'd be kind and slice it in half rather than apply salt.

!!!!!!: The head end kept on walking!

Even cut into quarters the head end kept walking! Salt did the trick. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure