PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Comments

• Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nursemaggie, I had picked the perfect tiles. Fell in love with them immediately. Then got the price.... $200 a square metre! So we're on tile choice number 2, at a fifth of the price and I will treat myself to attractive towels as well. It's a compromise, but we haven't won the lottery. That said I'm not budging in the tiles for the kitchen splash back. They're dear (about $100) but I'm so in love with those, will be looking at them much more than the bathroom ones and am willing to sell a kidney.

Compromise was also made with the towel rail and loo roll holder, again taking about 80% off the price. So, it's swings and roundabouts.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The tiles I picked for the bathroom looked lovely in the showroom, cost an arm and a leg but have been an absolute nightmare. They are non-slip so have a rough finish but it is impossible to clean them, the cloth rips up and sticks to the tiles. Last week I used a body scrubber (one of those net type things you get for the shower) and then used the window vac to clean off the soapy water. Never again!

Lovely morning, a light breeze and the sun trying to get through, just right for DD and I to visit the Gardening Scotland show today. Picnic at the ready, looking forward to a good day.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Softstuff and msm, 2's and 3's are wonderful ages. I have deeply philosophical conversations with my DGD (3) along the lines of, "why is outside outside?" and "if you can iron the creases out of clothes, Monna, can you iron the creases out of your face?"

She may never get to celebrate her 4th birthday.

Ah me! Tiles......... nothing seems to go out of fashion quicker. I did the bright orange sunflower thing of the 70s just before every thing went Laura Ashley chintzy. I did Laura Ashley chintzy wallpaper just before everyone was urged to "Throw out your chintz." I went for pale apricot everything just before deep purple was the rage. I hate purple so was saved that. Since then I have played safe with everything plain, pale and boring. I like it and if it is unfashionable all the better.

Isn't this weather wonderful? I have been sitting outside but got too hot so have retreated to the living room where I am making the most of being here alone to have a sneaky toy cull. I don't know how one child can need so many toys. It would be better if most of them didn't end up strewn around the house. I am so tired of spending so much time picking up bits of plastic rubbish which never seem to be played with. It will be her bedroom next!
    I am a truly evil grandmother.

Iron the creases out of my face indeed.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 June 2016 at 2:02PM
    We are going up north tomorrow for our DGD's second birthday party. Two years old has come much too soon. Tonight she finished dinner then ask for her shoes and the broom. She went out to the patio to 'Cleem up' for her party. We like to train 'em young!:rotfl:

:) That's sooo cute! I hope she has a lovely time.

Monnagran Just read your post. Good luck with the cull! Remember to take lots of breaks with cups of tea (or perhaps a long cool drink would be better this week!)
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Woo hoo, it's here, we have sun, the washing is on the line, the DGC have been gongoozling, went to the park were treated to an icecream and delivered home.
    We have lamb chops and new potatoes later, I'm making potato salad and hard boiled eggs for next weeks packups.
    Time for a nana nap!
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,241 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Don't want to upset anyone but we've had summer for around 10 days here on the Lancashire coast...am on daily watering of the allotment and twice daily for the greenhouses...
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Me too Floss ! Just glad I still haven't switched to metered water yet . I have spent hours with the hose pipe and can . Sorry to those who have waited longingly for their share of the sun but I am so over it now . I need my sleep .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Floss and pollyanna and anyone else in the NW and W Scotland - I for one am really pleased for you that you've been having good weather at last :) Usually it's better down here in the SE, and it always seems most unfair that you so often lose out on the sunshine.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thanks Ivyleaf . The problem is we don't get long hot spells up here very often . I imagine those who love the sun become used to it when holidaying abroad , my travel has never been to hot areas hence loving Scotland , Norway etc .
    I had a thought earlier the last time I felt so overheated for day after day was the famous summer of 76 . That began in June and went on for months I mostly just about coped then - still in my 20s . Now exactly 40 years on I don't think I could last the distance ! I shall have to bribe Mar to let me live in her coal shed for the duration . Off to start a sweetie hoard in case I need to convince her .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Well obviously it is not all of the North West. I would say we have had warm weather today but before that it was sunny but cool or overcast and cool. Thank you ivyleaf I must say last year it got me down that people were complaining about the heat down South, not on this thread, while we were still in our coats when we went out, and still had the heating on. I was then surprised when the meteorological office said we all had a poor summer.

We certainly had a spell of warm weather a few weeks ago hence DS's tan. He said last week someone at work asked him if he had been to a tanning salon. He told him no I just work outside. At the moment it is the lack of rain that is most noticeable more than the sun.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure