PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm’s Thread 2018

Comments

• My reading-30-pages-a-day plan for this year didn't went too well so far, only managed about ever second day. But I will now make reading a priority and see that I get half an hour reading in in the evenings because actually I really want to read but somehow don't do it as often as I want.
    Bumping into someone in the library yesterday made me think of how I used to spend whole evenings reading in the past. I always imagined her doing the same and meeting her yesterday made me remember that and somehow thinking "why is it that I envy people who read so much but still don't do it myself although I don't lack the time?"
    So plan for the next few weeks is to read half an hour each day, try to read three books a month and have some books lined up to avoid these breaks between two books because I don't know what I want to read next.... I guess I just have to make an effort to read daily for a couple of weeks and then I will be back in reading mojo and it will be a no-brainer. I decided to go for a walk each day in autumn, after a few weeks of making a concious effort to walk for half an hour each day I now miss it when I don't do it, it is a fixed part of each day and when there is a day where I really don't feel like walking I don't feel quilty as I know I will go for a walk the next day. I hope I can achieve the same with reading.

My January books so far:

The autumn throne - Elizabeth CHadwick
    Really interessting novel about Eleonor of Aquitaine, my favourite historical person. I cried a couple of times during the book but also laughed out loud more than once.

An Education - Lynn Barber
    Read it a couple of years ago and thought I'd reread it. Really like her writing style.

Eva moves the furnitur - Margot Livesey

One of my favourite novel about a woman who gets visited by "ghosts"

Things I plan on reading soon:

The Knot - Mark Watson: Have read it in the past and think it is a book that needs to be read twice to be fully appreaciated
    Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day - Winifred Watson: Picked it up at the library, sounds like a good read
    Up in the clouds, Gentleman please - Sir John Mills: One of the best biographies I've ever read. Actually only bought it to see what he wrote about his sister (Annette Mills, the lady with Muffin the Mule in case this rings a bell) but ended up reading all of it, having some good laughs.
    My mothers's shadow - Nikola Scott
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • I read six books in January. I'm going for four this month.

1. The Marriage Pact - Michelle Richmond, a thriller.

2. The Mother Tongue - Bill Bryson.

3. 30 Lessons for Living - Karl Pillemer, a self-help book.

4. A Jeremy Bates book, a horror. I'm not sure which one as I have three of his books on my kindle.
  • Molillie
    Molillie Posts: 134 Forumite
    I have been reading some Michael Innes on Kindleunlimited, good for people who like the classic "Golden Age" crime books, usually with a twist and some humour in this case. One I have particularly enjoyed is The Secret Vanguard, which is a kind of spoof or homage to Kidnapped and The 39 Steps. The protagonist is a young woman, which is a pleasant change for this type of story. She also seems generally more sensible than the tough guy type of heroes.
    I am going to work my way through the others, although I think that I'll miss about 90% of the references, as the author was an Oxford don. It doesn't matter though, as they are so enjoyable.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Syman wrote: »
    107400.jpg
    I bought this from a chazzer for an eye-watering (for me!) £2.99 last month! It’s a huge wodge of a book, tell me how you find this?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,615
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I bought this from a chazzer for an eye-watering (for me!) £2.99 last month! It’s a huge wodge of a book, tell me how you find this?

Will do. It is one of those books that is too big for me to sit and read in one go. So will be dipping in and out of it.

Incidentally, just finished "Lost Girls" by Patricia Gibney. A very twisted story. Quite hard work but worth a read.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

I read it many years ago. Good, but lots of information so,a bit of overload. Take it in stages.

I’m enjoying the latest instalment of Paul O'Grady's life -Open the Cage, Murphy.

Bit darker than the others as it covers the time of AIDS, but plenty of smiles, too.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    At last I've got something more to contribute:

Book 2:

9781786068651.jpg
    8/10. I made the effort to read this over the course of 24 hours, but tbh it wasn't hard to stick with. Published just last year, its a real-life account of front-line hospital medicine during the precise time that Jeremy Hunt et al were lying their heads off to anyone who would listen about it. It made me so grateful that time has come and gone, there is no way I could work those ridiculous hours now. If you're interested in the politics of the NHS, this is a must-read.

Book 3:

ADITDA%20pbk.jpg
    8.5/10. This book captures cases of gun death in young people across the US over a period of 24 hours. It took me a long time to complete, purely because the subject matter was so darn depressing (one case per chapter). I found myself becoming immune to the consequences after the fifth chapter. I did like the ingenuity of the book, and the tenacity of the author in trying to piece the causes tgether and find any kind of commonality between them. Apart from the circumstances of the murders, there was a lot of contect about US gun controls, the gun lobby, and the gross societal inequality that prevails in The States. It really is a land divided.

I think I need to pick up something slightly less traumatic for my next read...
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    So February already. In January I read ‘A Week in Winter’ Maeve Binchy (a winter read recommended by Alison May in her book ‘The Winter House). A very easy read and quite an interesting plot. Enjoyed her descriptions of the west coast of Ireland.’The Little Book of Hygge’ Meik Wiking my non-fiction and ‘The Great Gatsby’ which I didn’t really enjoy. Thought it was bleak and sad. Not sure where February will take me. Already have ‘Simple Abundance’, ‘God Never Blinks’, and ‘Pomfret Towers’ on the go. My mum also gave me a paperback to read and I’ve naughtily bought at least three more for my Kindle! Happy reading :)
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Did a quick search and it did not pick up one author that I have found fascinating lately- I was even given the books so cost me nowt!

C.J Sansom- the Shardlake series. They are all detective type novels set in Henry V111's Tudor England. thick books, packed with historical detail and hard to put down. Shardlake is a humpback lawyer.

If you are interested start with 'Dissolution' as the series builds up using the same characters- and progresses through the reign of the increasingly autocratic Henry.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I!!!8217;m not keen on those Shardlake books. OH and I loved Sansom's Winter in Madrid. However, I was not pleased when I found that so much 'echoed' Orwell's Homage to Catalonia.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure