Broadband speed problem

Gers
Gers Posts: 12,028 Forumite
First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
My broadband speed is normally 1.9mbps (EO line and rural) - it's now down to 0.48mbps download. BT Home hub 6.

I've run all the online BT checks - nothing wrong.

I've spoken to BT technical services, a chap there did all the checks - nothing wrong.

He asked me to disconnect all machines from the wifi. He asked me to switch router on-off. He asked me to reset the router with a paper clip.

Then he asked me to use the test socket to do another check, first connecting an ASDL filter - I have no filter. Apparently one is provided with the first home hub sent out, but for me that was about 15 years ago. I've now ordered one from Amazon which will arrive tomorrow,

Of course, if everything comes back as clear then I'll be charged £129.99 for an engineer if he finds nothing wrong either.

Does anyone have any ideas about why this may be? Thanks

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    First step is always change filter .
    So wait on the filter but note it may take up to 10 days for the exchange to monitor your line speed and errors .
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    If you've changed nothing on your side, then the problem has to be external..... Simple process of fault finding.

The trouble is that "external" can still mean WiFi interferance, so you should be testing your speed when plugged in to ethernet port.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    can you try to find and post your line stats. I couldn't find detailed instructions on finding them but they may well be the same as these for the hub 5...

http://bthomehub.home ( or http://192.168.1.254 )

From the top Menu
    > Troubleshooting
    > Helpdesk

Default admin password is on the card on the back of the hub.
    If this is the 1st time you have been to the Hub manager you will have to change & set your admin password.

The important values are...

Line attenuation
    Sync rate or data rate
    Noise margin
  • Gers
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    First step is always change filter .
    So wait on the filter but note it may take up to 10 days for the exchange to monitor your line speed and errors .

Haven't got a filter, router connected via an ethernet cable.
    Strider590 wrote: »
    If you've changed nothing on your side, then the problem has to be external..... Simple process of fault finding.

The trouble is that "external" can still mean WiFi interferance, so you should be testing your speed when plugged in to ethernet port.

OK - thanks, will try that.
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    can you try to find and post your line stats. I couldn't find detailed instructions on finding them but they may well be the same as these for the hub 5...

Line attenuation
    Sync rate or data rate
    Noise margin

Will have a look at doing that once I've done the ethernet thing!

Thanks so far folks, will report back later this afternoon,
  • Gers
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    If you only connect via ethernet, try disabling wireless and hotspots.

Create an account at speedtest.net, keep running tests all through the day.

Also check the box your socket connects to outside your property, once had one that some insects had made a nest of, clearing them out sorted problem.

No, use wireless only. TV / PVR connected via ethernet.
    Strider590 wrote: »

I've done the ethernet connection and speed is still 0.48mbps
  • Gers
    kwikbreaks wrote: »

Line attenuation
    Sync rate or data rate
    Noise margin

Line actuation: 63
    Data rate: 448 bps / 1.92 kbps
    Noise margin: 14 / 8.9
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ive found internal wiring dragged my speeds down by up to half

I've now disconnected all extension cabling as it was no longer used by me

I've had an engineer visit , that "we will charge you" is a standard warning.

If you connect to the test point and get the same problems with a filter in place then its GOT to be a problem between you and the CAB or the CAB and the exchange. They should be no charge . The openreach engineer will clip a tester onto your pair and look towards the exchange , it will show any high losses on either pair , noise on the line and so on . its very accurate but is unable to see any intermittent faults unless they happen at the time

in my case it was a faulty connection strip in the CAB
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    A new filter will not make any difference to your download speed, as it is simply not required if the router is connected directly to the master test socket.

If your attenuation is 63db then that is why your speed has dropped, probably a high resistance joint or broken wire.

You say that you don't have a filter so presumably you don't use a phone but trying a phone via an ADSL filter would test the line before reporting a fault.
  • Gers
    Rubidium wrote: »
    A new filter will not make any difference to your download speed, as it is simply not required if the router is connected directly to the master test socket.

If your attenuation is 63db then that is why your speed has dropped, probably a high resistance joint or broken wire.

You say that you don't have a filter so presumably you don't use a phone but trying a phone via an ADSL filter would test the line before reporting a fault.

Haven't got a separatefilter as there is one connected to the BT master socket - like an older version of this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BN-2017-BT-Openreach-Telephone-Master-Socket-NTE5c-MK2-VDSL-ADSL-Faceplate-MK4-/222508950471

Mine has a main box with a stepped down small box in front with ASDL on the front of it.

I've ordered the plug in ones which should arrive tomorrow so I can do the test socket test.

Download tests show that it is decreasing -now down to 45mbps!

What should the attenuation speed be?
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    Gers wrote: »
    Haven't got a separatefilter as there is one connected to the BT master socket - like an older version of this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BN-2017-BT-Openreach-Telephone-Master-Socket-NTE5c-MK2-VDSL-ADSL-Faceplate-MK4-/222508950471

Mine has a main box with a stepped down small box in front with ASDL on the front of it.

I've ordered the plug in ones which should arrive tomorrow so I can do the test socket test.

Download tests show that it is decreasing -now down to 45mbps!

What should the attenuation speed be?

OK so you currently have a filtered faceplate.

You could simply remove this and connect your router/hub directly to the master test socket to see if this makes any difference, no need to wait for your new ADSL filter to arrive.

There is no point plugging another ADSL filter into your filtered faceplate.

Your line attenuation is very high and many routers will only show levels up to 63db and that may not actually be a true figure because the router cannot display a higher figure i.e. that is a maximum level that it can display.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure