We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Comments

• tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Picked raspberries, red currants and strawberries got them straight into the freezer - it's officially glut time - deep joy!
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Not a great deal to report, it's chemo week which is akin to having a very very very bad hangover (without so much of the headache). Not seen too many slugs, but I had taken to putting courgette and other spent flower heads close to where badgers come into the garden so that is probably helping.

Two out of my three cherry tomatoes have now germinated - which is at least a month too late

My 'isn't nature wonderful' moment for this week: My shallots have split - now I understand...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,888
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Unrecordings - think of it as take it easy week. Hugs.

Today I shall potter in the garden. Lots of tidying to do after the high winds last week and LittleyDog managed to destroy a pot holding a Russian vine, so I'll need to repot that even though it's growing up a trellis, so won't be easy.

Will harvest and freeze my spinach.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Well it's too hot for me. So a quick feed of the tomatoes this morning and I'm back in the shade. I have 16 in tubs outside and 6 in the greenhouse! Think I'm a tomato addict.

Sorry to hear about your chemo Unrecordings - you take it easy - the garden will take care of it's self. I must check my shallots when I pop down to the allotment. Blessings coming your way.

It's amazing how quickly things catch up with the summer heat.
    Well done with the bargains tootallulah - great find.

Good luck with the vine I'm sure it will be fine Jazee. I managed to kick over a pot of peas this morning. I only have a tiny garden and the patio is stacked with things - I hardly have any space to sit - I really must have a clear out.

The worst thing is people always seem to want to give me plants. Last week a neighbour turned up with a tray of nicotina and some morning glory and then a friend asked me to adopt her blueberry plant (which she was torturing!) In just a week it looks happier - potted on in a big pot with the right soil.

Oh well musn't grumble - I should pop down to the allotment just to check the greenhouse.
    Thoughts are with all you growers.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone,
    Just come in from the plot, so hot out there.

I've just dug up the autumn planted onions which should last until the main ones are ready this September. Also picked a couple of kohl rabi to go in the salad tonight, plus salad leaves. The rabbits have found the kohl rabi leaves but not the bulbs so I've covered them up with fleece hoping to save the un-nibbled bulbs. The JRT caught a rabbit on the plot early this morning but where there is one there are usually several so I need to be on my guard. Netted the doors to the tunnels and greenhouse as I don't want anything eaten in there.

Planted out more fennel and the second batch of sweetcorn seeds are just showing, plus some more alderman peas and the outside carrots are also starting to germinate, they should be ready October onwards. It seems unbelievable but the longest day of the year is in four days time and then the nights start to draw in :eek:

This year and for the very first time I'm only growing what we eat. It seems strange not to grow more than 10 runner bean plants, but I'm hoping that will be enough for the two of us. So today besides the onions, salad leaves and kohl rabi I also picked dwarf beans, radishes, raspberries strawberries the first courgette and the smallest/thinnest of cucumbers.

Just going to light the barbecue, should be ready to cook on in about an hour.
  • Not many beans left, thanks to the invisible molluscs.

Watching the courgette plant with suspicious eyes - there are buds forming, so I am still hopeful.

Lost the camomiles, too. And it looks like the peas didn't make it through the tornado. All the leaves and radishes have bolted, too.

However, the rest of the herbs seem quite happy, there are still some tiny chards hanging on by a thread, the raspberries are stepping up production and the blackberry is in full blossom. At present, the birds haven't noticed the handful of cherries ripening, either.

The remainder of potential and actual successes appear to be the nasturtiums, borage and, if we're lucky, a few broad beans. Oh, and there appears to be a few sweetcorn trying to emerge from the woodland area and some beetroot leaves looking strong underneath the nasturtiums.

The ladybirds are increasing in numbers and it appears that the leafcutter bees are back and investigating their two houses, looking for empty properties amongst those already taken by the masons.

It's certainly not as successful as I'd hoped this season would be.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Oh it's so hot. Just watered the garden. But everything is torch dry. I don't like to be seen watering really but sometimes you just have to.
    Swapped one of my Tigerella tomatoes for a Dhailia with a neighbour today. Well I have quite a few tomatoes as you know.
    We have another 4 days of this heat - so pace yourselves.
    I'll pop down to the allotment tomorrow lunch time but expect a bit of bolting!
    JoJo throw in some more peas -they'll be fine.
    Well done to you Zafiro but I don't think I could bare the heat of a bbq at the mo. But I am a bit of a ginger!
    Happy growing everyone.
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Just got in from watering the tomatoes and veg, everything else will have to manage as it seems pointless unless I can thoroughly drench everything
    and it seems early in a heat wave to do that. Picking raspberries twice a day and freezing them I don't seem to fancy eating them at the minute! I have stripped one redcurrant bush the others are a couple of weeks behind. Picked a few sweet peas this morning - they are looking good.

JoJo, I agree chuck in some beans too, plenty of time.
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hello all,

Not much to report here.
    Feel rather lack lustre and 'missed the boat' in terms of getting things in and producing. So much still needs doing on the plot and its run away from me again. I really may have to pay someone to come and work it all over for me
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    way too hot here
    ventured out after the sun had gone down yesterday to do a little watering
    need to sort out my waterbutt system - there's a missing link in the chain and i've just about emptied the one that's easiest to get to

hopefully will cool down tomorrow, then i've got cornflower to repot, beans to plant out, peppers to put in my last growbag, probably need to refill the pond...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure