Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 30th Nov 18, 11:43 AM
    • 27,204Posts
    • 325,348Thanks
    davemorton
    Elite: Is this table taken please?
    • 30th Nov 18, 11:43 AM
    Elite: Is this table taken please? 30th Nov 18 at 11:43 AM
    Just looking for a spare quiet table in the corner of the arms for a few exiled elite to chat, is this table free please?
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
Page 538
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 14th Aug 19, 2:33 AM
    • 17,744 Posts
    • 38,010 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Wednesday greetings, Ladles and Jelly Spoons

not available I'm afraid as Wetherspoons isn't open yet!
    Once it is, I intend to be ensconced there with not only but also a pain of chocolate
    Weekly Distance Walked 26 km / Total For Year 892 km
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 14th Aug 19, 7:31 AM
    • 21,647 Posts
    • 220,732 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Good morning all, grey here but not raining at the moment.

Behave yourself sleazy, don't get too carried away with the pain au chocolate!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • tweets
    • By tweets 14th Aug 19, 7:31 AM
    • 33,320 Posts
    • 444,802 Thanks
    tweets
    Good Morning

is available

Today is haircut day
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 14th Aug 19, 7:34 AM
    • 33,320 Posts
    • 444,802 Thanks
    tweets
    sweeties was yesterday's smartest player!

20 players played

https://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=99008

Today's Topic (Wednesday): *** FunTrivia Mixed Bag (default)
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • Sarahdol75
    • By Sarahdol75 14th Aug 19, 10:53 AM
    • 7,175 Posts
    • 93,391 Thanks
    Sarahdol75
    Good morning everyone.

Its my birthday today, off out for a meal tonight with 12 friends.

Its so cold and dark and wet out its like a winters day.
    • tweets
    • By tweets 14th Aug 19, 12:55 PM
    • 33,320 Posts
    • 444,802 Thanks
    tweets
    Good morning everyone.

Originally posted by Sarahdol75
    Happy Birthday Sarah

Enjoy your meal

Awful here managed to stay dry went walkies then hairdressers and called in Asda but had to get taxi home because it was bouncing it down grr
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 14th Aug 19, 3:34 PM
    • 17,744 Posts
    • 38,010 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Happy Birthday Sarah

Enjoy your meal

Awful here managed to stay dry went walkies then hairdressers and called in Asda but had to get taxi home because it was bouncing it down grr
    Originally posted by tweets
    Good job it wasn't Friday
    • tweets
    • By tweets 14th Aug 19, 5:14 PM
    • 33,320 Posts
    • 444,802 Thanks
    tweets
    Good job it wasn't Friday
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    It was I would have been like a drowned rat and my bags waterlogged
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 14th Aug 19, 6:45 PM
    • 56,077 Posts
    • 645,513 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening all
    Happy Birthday Sarah
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :- 5 st 1 1/2lb
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 14th Aug 19, 6:57 PM
    • 21,362 Posts
    • 270,074 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    I don't know why one of the public authorities is issuing me a notice under section 1(3) when they should be issuing one under section 17(5). Anyway, I may explain why here later. I need to find again the original source material that made me contact them in the first place. The legal time limit will be breached by them in the meantime as they have given themselves either no time or maximum of one day to respond fully (after I have given them what they are after)*, as opposed to the time limit having been restarted from scratch had they sent the notice that I believe they should have sent. I don't know why they have waited until the last day of the original maximum time period before they have sent me what they have.

I'll reply once I have found again what I need, will then be waiting a month or more for their substantive response and after that I'll raise the issue of don't you think you ought to have sent me this instead of that?

People who have Asperger's often become self-taught experts in specific subjects that people may think are narrow (ah, but those subjects can change over time you see and that way make what we know potentially more wide-ranging). I am an expert.

Just be forewarned that, separately, I am on a Brexit tip again.

Following what Nancy Pelosi has said today, it seems to me the impossibility of forming a trade deal with the US and means that, whether the UK leaves without a deal, with a deal or remains a member of the EU, there won't be one. Therefore I don't see it happening as that covers all possible situations. Again I may explain more and/or repeat myself later.

*In fact, they haven't. The time limit will be expiring very soon as it will take me longer to find what I need to as the up to one day left to respond would only apply if what they have done is correct (which it is not).
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 14-08-2019 at 7:27 PM.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 14th Aug 19, 6:59 PM
    • 21,362 Posts
    • 270,074 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Good morning everyone.

Originally posted by Sarahdol75
    Happy Birthday! I would just be at the meal myself already, rather than being at this thread and reading my posts. I hope you are enjoying your meal already as I write.

EDIT: And your company with friends. Came as an afterthought for me because that sort of thing didn't strike me obviously - it's straight in everyone else's minds but hits me about ten seconds late.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 14-08-2019 at 7:02 PM.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 14th Aug 19, 8:17 PM
    • 21,362 Posts
    • 270,074 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-49334442

When was the last time Rushden Lakes, Milton Keynes and Rugby were in Northampton? Milton Keynes and Rugby are not even in Northamptonshire! Distraction, diversion, hope at misdirection, irrelevance and failure to direct themselves to the issue in question.

However, if anyone is unhappy with a picture of Northampton, I am sure I could set up my own service to provide replies to people in the manner of these sorts of organisations in order to save everyone's time.

"Rushden Lakes, Milton Keynes and Rugby are not in Northampton."

My reply:
    "I am sorry you feel we did not answer your complaint." [And then some other irrelevant point that points out what an organisation wants to promote.]
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 14-08-2019 at 8:38 PM.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 14th Aug 19, 9:26 PM
    • 21,362 Posts
    • 270,074 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/mondelez-uk-ltd-G19-1023670.html

There were two separate interviews on BBC Television News today and each of them gave a different impression. In the later one, at least one of the interviewees thought it was unclear when the rules would or would not be breached, although there are more detailed guidelines. (Sometimes though the problem is the more detail someone gives, inevitably at some point something they say contradicts something they have said earlier and, instead of providing more detail that makes something clear, it now makes them unclear.)

The other interview much earlier in the day, which featured the ASA, made it clear for me because the interviewees mentioned there had been three cases published today, two of them (including Mondelez) breached the new rules - it was largely about harm rather than serious or widespread offence - but one of them was found not in breach and I'm told that was because it also portrayed some positive aspects about the role of the woman (on that occasion - it could have been a man instead and the same would have been the case) it was showing, therefore was not a stereotype. It had earlier been pointed out that Mondelez said they "chose two dads to deliberately avoid the typical stereotype of two new mothers with the childcare responsibilities" and therefore that didn't seem to be able to win! Avoid one stereotype and you commit another it seems... nonetheless the rules became clear to me.

However, on looking at the actual Mondelez case, beyond just what I heard on the news, I am now unclear.

The part that now makes it unclear is that, in the decision in the case, it mentions some guidelines and says

"The guidance provided examples which were likely to be unacceptable, which included 'An ad that depicts a man or a woman failing to achieve a task specifically because of their gender e.g. a man’s inability to change nappies; a woman’s inability to park a car.' "

Therefore, it now seems to be contradictory and unclear to me. This is because I now wonder about the situation of an ad showing a woman unable to change nappies or a man unable to park a car. Would that be gender stereotyping as well?

Apparently not, according to what the earlier interview on the TV said. This being because there isn't a stereotype of woman unable to change nappies or men unable to park cars. The harmful stereotypes are what might be said to be the opposing ones and not the ones I have given, which don't actually exist as stereotypes (I am writing "what might be said to be" very carefully, because it's possible to be neither male nor female - intersex gender for example exists so that I don't want to exclude intersex and imply that there is one opposite to another when in fact this is not the case).

So, no harmful stereotype women not changing nappies or men not parking cars as such stereotypes don't exist. However, this is where the guidance now becomes contradictory to me and therefore I am now unclear.

It says "An ad that depicts a man or a woman failing to achieve a task specifically because of their gender..." This therefore as much includes women failing to change nappies or men failing to park cars as anything 'opposing', because women not doing nappies or men not parking is "failing to achieve a task specifically because of their gender". It is clearly within the words. They contradict themselves however, because these are not the examples that the guidance then says, and according to the news, it was looking at the harmful stereotypes not the things that aren't stereotypes (because no-one stereotypes women as not doing nappies or men as not parking cars; quite the reverse). I was fine and clear when I heard the news and the explanation there (which was added by the interviewee that wasn't from the ASA). However, now I have read the extract provided from the guidance in the actual ruling itself, I am now unclear.

What Mondelez ought to do, I feel, is produce an identical ad (of course I mean it won't then be literally an identical one) that, instead of two men, has two women. That apparently would not be in breach, according to the clear explanation of earlier that there isn't a stereotype there and this is why two cases were upheld and one other case not. Mondelez should produce an ad with two women on exactly the same thing, so that I can then complain about it in order to try to show that the new rules are ridiculous. I hope the ASA would then reject the complaint - following the distinction between the three cases - over where stereotypes are and aren't - they were asked this on the earlier interview although could not say in relation to an ad that does not exist - well, I think Mondelez should make one so that it then does exist - and if it is rejected when featuring two women, then we can say the ASA is sexist as it allows two women in the ad in this situation but not two men (or vice versa). Because that, it seems to me, is the conundrum - if indeed it is only where there is a harmful stereotype, then another gender (where there isn't a stereotype) is permitted and that is sexism because it is treating the genders differently. It was the real sexist approach behind what the ASA was saying that offended me.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 14-08-2019 at 9:37 PM.
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 14th Aug 19, 9:50 PM
    • 21,362 Posts
    • 270,074 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    The potential sexism (not actual, because such an ad has not been produced and such an ASA rejection has not happened) is perhaps not quite like when some people say that allowing black and African-Carribean people (or people of colour if "black" is now offensive but "people of colour" is also found offensive by some people so I can't win) of younger generations (but the black and African-Carribean community are divided on this and it is not universally acceptable) to use a particular word when "white" people cannot and that that is racist. However, the word might not be considered to be racist when used by black or African-Carribean people as it can be a term of endearment (although it can also be used abusively - is not always well-intentioned and can be said in a nasty way - and discrimination can be committed by a person of one ethnicity against someone of the same ethnicity as themselves). However, as I see it, there is no double standard that is racist here. It is not a case of 'black (and African-Carribean) people can say it but white people cannot'. The standard instead is that you are not to use words that negatively describe people of ethnic origins to which you yourself do not belong. That standard applies to all, whether black, African-Carribean, white or anything else (I don't mention specifically every other ethnicity or race because the context is I was considering black/African-Carribean/white here) and therefore this same standard applying to all is not racist.

It's more than not using words. It's because we wouldn't use those words of ethnic groups that are not ours anyway and because they are negative expressions of prejudice against people based on their skin colour. People can also be very racist in the sentiments they express, without using specific 'offensive' words. It is the sentiment that is important - obviously a racist word expresses that sentiment - but not using it and still having the negative opinion and intent, merely not using it because you have to comply with society and want not to be called a racist but still are, is just as bad and arguably it is worse.

[Post to be updated soon - I am just trying to find outside website again where someone set out a rule against people not using racially offensive words, then broke their own rule later on the page. They seem to be including quotation within their ban, but then immediately go on and quote a racist-against-white-people word themselves. So, if I am not allowed to quote, as a white person, the word that racist people use derogatorily against black people, then you should not post a word against white people as a black person. Mine is a consistent rule whereas theirs is one that is inconsistent - they seem to think, given that they did precisely this, it is perfectly fine to quote a racist word against white people when, following their own rule, it is not - meaning that when it is broken in that context it offended me. If I sound a bit perturbed by this, then don't worry as it was some time ago now, although I was quite perturbed at the time because racism is very offensive. Quotation is not racist... no, but, in a context in which they have said it is not okay even to quote and then have gone on and seemingly automatically and unthinkingly quoted a derogatory word about white people, there may be some racism as well as hypocrisy behind that and both of which offend me quite a lot.]

[In fact I can't find the original website just now and I'm going to leave this post as stands because what I've said is clear anyway.]
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 14-08-2019 at 10:24 PM.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 15th Aug 19, 7:03 AM
    • 21,647 Posts
    • 220,732 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Good morning all, sunny day here though we have had rain.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 15th Aug 19, 7:44 AM
    • 17,744 Posts
    • 38,010 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    Ditto here.
    • tweets
    • By tweets 15th Aug 19, 8:13 AM
    • 33,320 Posts
    • 444,802 Thanks
    tweets
    Good Morning

Had rain but fine at moment

Was cool on walkies …

is made
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 15th Aug 19, 8:15 AM
    • 33,320 Posts
    • 444,802 Thanks
    tweets
    JaneEB was yesterday's smartest player!

22 players played

https://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=99008

Today's Topic (Thursday): General Knowledge 5 : Difficult
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • Sarahdol75
    • By Sarahdol75 15th Aug 19, 10:15 AM
    • 7,175 Posts
    • 93,391 Thanks
    Sarahdol75
    Good morning everyone.

Had a lovely meal out last night, the staff came over with a board written with "Happy Birthday" on it with icecream and chocolate biscuits on it and sang happy birthday
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 15th Aug 19, 11:26 AM
    • 21,362 Posts
    • 270,074 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    Unfortunately bits of rain are still continuing around my region (I always seem to be in this track of the country that has rain when everywhere else is sunshine all day). It was such that my weather forecast had today as a rainy day and, even when the afternoon now has sunshine forecast, they were still showing the rain symbol for the day. It should be rare in the UK today to be having rain with it now being one single day of high pressure in between two worse days. It should clear up more into the afternoon, but I just went shopping a mile away and there was a tiny bit of drizzle walking back to my car - rewinding the weather radar shows I was on the edge of light rain but nothing came over my home at all. So, one mile away was rain but not here. There is still a tiny bit more around now which may reach me in an hour - it won't be much, shouldn't be unless one of the further clouds that has bubbled up more reaches me later and that looks like rain rain rather than drizzle - this is why I have this track of relentless rain every other hour - but it should be largely dry for me, whilst completely dry nearly everywhere else. It keeps going bright and then dark clouds - everywhere else surely is just sunshine.

EDIT: Around England, there is some rain in parts of Norfolk as well - most of it no rain but some areas are more than the lowest level of rain - small areas of Cornwall have heavier rain, and small parts of Devon have rain (small area in Dartmoor for instance), it looks like there's a patch of rain north of Dursley between Bristol and Gloucester, rain in some parts of what used to be Humberside (should be East Yorkshire, East Yorkshire), very small areas of the Home Counties (unlucky if you are the one with rain in London) and a bit north of Nottingham. Scotland is mostly clear, with most of its rain in parts of what used to be Grampian - there is some rain elsewhere but it is rare.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 15-08-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,816Posts Today

6,074Users online

Martin's Twitter