Bullied out of job, I believe due to pregnancy discrimination

Comments

• If you are claiming discrimination though, I think length of service is not a factor? Obviously it would help your case if you’ve been there longer but I just mean from a legal perspective.

Length on discrimination doesn't matter but what exactly do you have proof wise that she discriminated against you for being pregnant?

If its just words it makes it ever so more difficult to do anything, have you anything written ?

Sometimes in life you just have to choose your battles and as someone put to go through a tribunal could take at least a year of more stress.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Most beauticians aren’t self employed, a few are but most are not unless you work for yourself. To be clear, yes I was employed.

Yes I can see that it would be stressful and maybe isn’t worth it. But I do believe that my pregnancy is the reason she suddenly turned on me and the evidence does point to that.

I am concerned that she is going to try to deduct money from my wages that she owes me so I will wait to see if she pays me correctly before taking any further action.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Most beauticians aren’t self employed, a few are but most are not unless you work for yourself. To be clear, yes I was employed.

Yes I can see that it would be stressful and maybe isn’t worth it. But I do believe that my pregnancy is the reason she suddenly turned on me and the evidence does point to that.

I am concerned that she is going to try to deduct money from my wages that she owes me so I will wait to see if she pays me correctly before taking any further action.

You have a copy of the job advert? & your contract? & wage slips showing tax & NI deductions? & P45? & tax receipts for tips?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Well this is another thing. I asked her for my wage slips, some time ago because I had not received any and she got her accountant to send them all to me about 3 days later. They haven’t been set out properly and the paye period is not properly defined. The wage slip does appear to show NI deductions though. I have had a letter from HMRC so she must be putting it through the books I guess.
  • She did a performance review in bad faith and said ‘you’re not going to pass probation’

Should have humoured her! Where is the door would have been my reaction.

Please put this situation out of your mind, it can't be any good for baby.
  • Blatchford, with respect, you are wrong. Just because she hired me when I was pregnant does not mean she cannot be discriminatory. Of course it doesn't - but it is wo0nderful evidence that she does not discrminate against people who are pregenant as far as a court of law is concerned, whereasd you have no evidence tht she does! I haven’t ‘heard something I don’t like’ she is a liar. Lots of people are liars, allegedly. Being a liar is not the same thing as discriminating on the hroudns of pregnancy. Would you explain how she is only lying about you because you are pregnant? Because that is the test of discrimination.

I don’t think she had thought through the implications of hiring someone who was pregnant. What you think is not relevant. What you can prove is. And you do not appear to have any evidence of discrimination. Perhaps she simply didn't like you.As I said, she turned on me the minute I said I can’t do massage any more. That is not evidence of discrimination. It is also your opinion, and something which you cannot prove.

The reason I think I might have a case is that she has sent me texts and emails which show she’s acted in bad faith and I’m almost certain these supposed written complains don’t actually exist. None of which is evidence of discrimination. IF she has acted in bad faith, that is not discrimination. And being ALMOST certain that complaints don't exist is proof of nothing. Even if they don't exist that is not proof of discrimination.

Discrimination is tested. There is nothing at all in what you are saying that says she did any of the things that you accuse her of because you are pregnant. Just being pregnant doesn't make everything you don't like, fair and reasonable or not, discrimination. You say that you don't want money. You have already resigned and you have a short period of employment anyway. So what is the point of a case - not that anything you have said suggests you have one. The only point of a caseis to get moneyfor the wrong that you think has been done to you. And that wrong has to be against the law. She may be an unpleasant person, but that isn't against the law.
  • The main reason I resigned is because of the stressful effects on the baby, yes.

Obviously I need to try & separate how I feel from the stress of taking someone as deceitful as her to a tribunal.

It’s very hard to just forget about something though, when you’ve worked extra hard, given 100%, worked late to get things done and not asked to be paid extra, given other employees lifts when they needed and generally done your very best to support a business to then be told unsubstantiated lies about you which you can show are not true.

I have always thought that if you work hard and try your best, a job will work out. Obviously not :(
  • ‘There is nothing at all in what you are saying that says she did any of the things that you accuse her of because you are pregnant.’

My argument would be that she has tried to force me out because she doesn’t want to modify my work due to pregnancy issues. And I think the texts I have from her do support this view.
  • So yes, I get that being mean or even bullying someone because you don’t like them is not unlawful. But a tribunal only needs to be 51% convinced that you were discriminated against due to, for example, pregnancy for you to succeed.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So yes, I get that being mean or even bullying someone because you don’t like them is not unlawful. But a tribunal only needs to be 51% convinced that you were discriminated against due to, for example, pregnancy for you to succeed.

You say she took you on knowing you were pregnant.

I think you will find it hard to go down that route.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback