Ramp for scooter.

I am just about at the end of my journey to get a mobility scooter.
Now I need to get a ramp to get the said scooter in & out of my house.
I have one step to get in & out of my house.
Can any one offer any help or advice.
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.

Comments

• B_G_B
    B_G_B Posts: 502 Forumite
    I bought one from these people, for getting my manual wheelchair in and out of the house. VAT exempt and delivered.
    https://www.theramppeople.co.uk
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    B_G_B wrote: »
    I bought one from these people, for getting my manual wheelchair in and out of the house. VAT exempt and delivered.
    https://www.theramppeople.co.uk

Thank you 😊
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I would make sure that you get the gradient right. Its tempting to save money and go for a shorter but steeper one. However if you get it wrong and its too steep then you may find you damage it or yourself.

You can work it out here. Just put in the height of the step and the length of ramp you are considering.

https://www.independent4life.co.uk/ramp-calculator-new/

They normally say you shouldn't go less than 1:6 but its not always practical.
  • beanielou
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    I would make sure that you get the gradient right. Its tempting to save money and go for a shorter but steeper one. However if you get it wrong and its too steep then you may find you damage it or yourself.

You can work it out here. Just put in the height of the step and the length of ramp you are considering.

https://www.independent4life.co.uk/ramp-calculator-new/

They normally say you shouldn't go less than 1:6 but its not always practical.

Thanks a lot for this.

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Consider asking a local carpenter how much would it cost to make you a wooden ramp - could be cheaper than buying one.

Or if you know a handyman or have a realative who likes DIY ask if they could construct one for you out of a couple of bags of readymix.
  • beanielou
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Consider asking a local carpenter how much would it cost to make you a wooden ramp - could be cheaper than buying one.

Or if you know a handyman or have a realative who likes DIY ask if they could construct one for you out of a couple of bags of readymix.

Thank you :)

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    D_M_E wrote: »

Thats exactly what I did a couple of years ago (timber) - cost less than £30

It is sturdy and will last for years - the downside is the weight - it is considerably heavier than an alloy one !
  • beanielou
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I did a couple of years ago (timber) - cost less than £30

It is sturdy and will last for years - the downside is the weight - it is considerably heavier than an alloy one !

Thank you :)

• I phoned the local timber company and they made me two wooden ramps, AND the man who cut them delivered to my house because it was on his way home AND he refused any money for the ramps.
  • beanielou
    SixtiesGal wrote: »
    I phoned the local timber company and they made me two wooden ramps, AND the man who cut them delivered to my house because it was on his way home AND he refused any money for the ramps.

That's amazing :T

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure