Settling rejcted medical insurance claims post death

Options
hi

my mum passed away earlier this year and I am administrator of her estate

I have grant of probate and 99% of stuff is sorted

She had health insurance through AXA and died of cancer.

The last few years she was in and out of hospital for various treatments and tests etc. and particularly towards the end was in and out daily, at times staying in for several nights at a time.

Long story short as is fairly typical with health insurance alot of her care was covered but some elements were not, or excesses and caps applied.

Axa have taken an age to provide me the info related to the status of her account (another story!) but eventually I have obtained full details and can see in the paperwork that Axa did not pay in full a number of invoices they received from treatment she had at the christie hospital in manchester.

My understanding is that the estate is liable for the shortfall in whatever axa didn't pay

I have the letters from axa showing each full or partial rejection and therefore have calculated the total shortfall that i think is owing, which is in the region of £5K (so not peanuts). However Axa have told me they are not able to provide copies of the invoices they received and as such I don't have enough details to make payment directly.

All of the shortfalls relate to stuff that happened at the christie hospital and are related to treatments under 2 named consultants and also general for overnight stays.

I have emailed the christie and written to them providing what details I have and requesting a statement of account such that the estate can settle the bill.

To date they have not replied.

Axa have said it is nothing to do with them.

My question is how far do I have to go in trying to establish what money is owed and to settle these bills? No one is chasing or contacting us and I have made reasonable efforts to contact them - all to no avail.

Can I just park this matter now and leave as is or do I have an obligation to keep chasing them?

Seems strange they would not chase themselves but wondering if perhaps they have some sort of write-off on death policy ?

Thanks
Left is never right but I always am.

Comments

• pip895
    pip895 Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Will you be paying inheritance tax? If not then I would definitely park it and just keep some cash available for a few months in case it all surfaces after probate. If you are going to be paying tax on the estate then I would probably give their accounts department a ring to get a definitive answer - you don't want to be paying more tax than you have to, although I would have thought, they might have difficulty enforcing any recovery after probate...
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pip895 wrote: »
    If you are going to be paying tax on the estate then I would probably give their accounts department a ring to get a definitive answer - you don't want to be paying more tax than you have to, although I would have thought, they might have difficulty enforcing any recovery after probate...

Probate has already been granted to tax must have been sorted out, if applicable. Makes no difference to enforcing recovery either way. The debt is still payable - OP as administrator has acknowledged it is known about.

OP, I wouldn't worry too much. Keep any correspondence relating to your attempts to make the outstanding payments, but you don't need to chase any further. Probably wise not to spend the cash - just keep it on deposit somewhere and see what happens.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just wondering, were they definitely private treatments at the Christie?

Only my parents had very basic health insurance which paid out so much per night in hospital and a few other defined treatments, and that covered NHS treatment as well as private.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Mistermeaner
    Mistermeaner Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thanks all for input. Being as I have both emailed and written to the christie I will leave things as is for now but keep the sum I think might be owed on account in case anyone replies.

Is there a time limit on anyone coming forward to claim debt from a deceased person (assume statute of limitations applies?)
    Left is never right but I always am.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport