Smell of sick

A friend brought her three-year-old to my house over the weekend who unfortunately had a bad stomach and threw up lots of watery milk. I've tried a couple of carpet products since but the smell still lingers. Any ideas what I can use next or do I have to get one of those industrial carpet cleaners? Thanks

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You could try mixing up a solution of tepid water and ordinary biological laundry powder, then using that to clean the area. The difficulty is in getting it thoroughly dried out afterwards. I'd almost be tempted to give it a go with that, and then go over the whole lot with a rug doctor or similar - they don't cost much to hire for half a day.
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Try sprinkling bicarbonate of soda onto the area, leave for a day or so, then hoover. It works for all sorts of smells, it should work for this too.
  • Brookside88
    Brookside88 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    another vote for bicarb, it does work - leave it for as long as possible
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 921 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I heard a science programme on Radio 5 where one contributor who was a scientist suggested that Febreze is actually very good for this kind of task as there's something about the microscopic structure of the stuff that really can capture smells and stop you detecting them. There may be other products that do this too, I've never tried it. A good clean with carpet shampoo sounds like a first thing to try.

I know spilt milk can stink on its own, never mind as part of vomit!
  • spo2
    spo2 Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Please don't use biological powder on the stain - we did this once on a carpet to try and clean up after a dog's accident - and it ended up bleaching the carpet. So we ended up with a patch a different colour to the rest, and in the end we ripped the carpet up and disposed of it as the patch was so unsightly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure