Travel credit cards

Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,

Comments

• Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've only been able to do a quick scan of this (surely pre-existing?) guide and have a couple of observations:
    • no mention of the Travelex Supercard, which had quite an impact on MSE forum posts yesterday
    • no mention of my Nationwide FlexPlus debit card (0% f/x fee for cash) and credit card (0% f/x fee for purchases)
  • Absolutely agree Roger. I just signed up for the Norwich and Peterborough account and a Nationwide Flexplus. I did Flexplus for all the insurance and motoring benefits, and N&P for the free cash withdrawals, as it wasnt shown on this site that Nationwide does free cash withdrawals too! Makes it an even better deal! Would be helpful if that was shown on her to help with our decision making.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ...it wasnt shown on this site that Nationwide does free cash withdrawals too! Makes it an even better deal! Would be helpful if that was shown on her to help with our decision making.
    The Nationwide FlexPlus account is linked to within the above "travel credit cards" article, where you'll see...

"What's the deal with the debit card and overseas transactions? The debit card with the account has no fee or load for cash withdrawals abroad, making it a leading debit card for overseas use, but still has a 2% charge when using it for overseas purchases, so don't use it for this."
  • Despite a very good credit rating from all three main agencies, I received a declined status on this card - no idea why, wonder if anyone else has this.

Maybe they are watching for people who always repay in full!
  • slopemaster
    slopemaster Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They recently approved me and I always pay in full.
    Not sure why they'd want that though - they won't make much money off me.

They offered a pretty high limit, but before final approval I had to phone them and they quizzed me about all my other available credit.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Most people pay their credits off in full. Credit card companies still want such people, otherwise they wouldn't give them the interest free period between purchase and payments date. They make money from charging the retailer.
  • Hi there,

I'm going to New York in December and wanted to get a credit card for my trip. Is it better to get one that offers 0% interest or one that is free to use abroad? I'm not sure what would be more beneficial. I'm not planning on spending loads on it I just want it as back up. I don't currently have a credit card.

Thanks for your help!
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    S2383 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm going to New York in December and wanted to get a credit card for my trip. Is it better to get one that offers 0% interest or one that is free to use abroad? I'm not sure what would be more beneficial. I'm not planning on spending loads on it I just want it as back up. I don't currently have a credit card.

Thanks for your help!

Strange question. How can we know as to whether you would keep a debit balance on the credit card for months?
    If not, no fees abroad of course.
  • EugeneB
    EugeneB Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I think information about cash withdrawals on Halifax Clarity credit card is wrong/misleading.
    You can minimise this cost: you’re only charged interest until you’ve fully repaid the balance, so if you pay off the withdrawal amount as soon as you can (via internet banking while abroad, or when you return home) you can minimize interest.

I tried that and it appears that you need not only to pay in the amount you withdrawn but all purchases before that. (I guess because APR on both spending and withdrawals are the same then don't have to accept your payment for withdrawals first.)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback