PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What's in your Slow Cooker 2019

Comments

• Today in my slow cooker I've got chinese style pork steaks on a bed of sliced onions with a half cup of water. On high for 4hrs. Will use just a little cornflour in water to thicken the 'sauce' as the meat will be cut up and run through rice. Shall serve with stir fry veg. Totally addicted to Asdas frozen bags because the variety of veg is great and I only use exactly what I need. (I'm the only one that likes it in family).

Sometimes I've added half a bag of those small potatoes on top of the meat, cut in half if on the larger side, and these cook beautifully by the time the meat is tender, plus they absorb the flavouring of the meat.

Once dinner is out of the slow cooker then in will go a small ham joint I've bought from Lidl as we need cold meat for salad and sandwiches ready in the fridge.
  • I use the SC for cheaper cuts that benefit from slow cooking. One of our favourites is a South American recipe, barbacoa, made with beef cheeks (usually available in Waitrose) and served in tortillas with 'pink pickled onions'

Serves 6-8 (depends how many tacos each person can eat!)
    Pickled Onions
    • 1 red onion
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 2 teaspoons sugar
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 1 cup cider vinegar
    1. Slice the onions very thinly and put them in a saucepan. Add the salt and sugar. Cover everything with water and vinegar.
    2. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool, then refrigerate overnight.

Barbacoa Beef Cheeks
    • 1 kgbeef cheeks
    • 4 cloves garlic
    • 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
    • 1 ancho chili
    • 1 teaspoon instant espresso
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil (plus 2 more for cooking)
    • 1 tablespoon honey
    • 2 teaspoons cumin
    • 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
    • 1 handful fresh coriander
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup beef stock
    • 3 limes
    • 1 avocado
    • Tortillas

1. Clean and trim the cheeks. Put them in a container that you can marinate them in.
    2. Remove the stem and seeds from the ancho, cut it up into chunks and rehydrate in a little water (I stick it in a ramekin and microwave for 30 seconds)
    3. Peel and chop the garlic. Put everything from the garlic to the salt in the food processor (including the water from the chili) and blend into a paste. Toss the paste with the cheeks and marinate for several hours or better yet over night.
    4. When it is time to cook, heat 2 tbs olive oil in a large frying pan. Brown the cheeks on both sides. Use the broth to rinse the rest of the marinade into the slow cooker, then squeeze the juice of 3 limes in.
    5. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours - turn the cheeks over once or twice while they cook and if the liquid dries up add a bit more broth
    6. When the cheeks are fall-apart tender, using 2 forks, pull the meat apart in the pan so that it mixes in with all of that juicy goodness.
    7. To serve - heat 2 tortillas (I like to double wrap the taco as they are juicy). Fill with barbacoa, a slice of avocado, some of pickled onions and fresh coriander. Serve and enjoy!!!

I usually make this the day before we eat for a couple of reasons

1 I like to make sure it pulls apart easily so if it needs more cooking time I can allow it and

2 the flavour is really enhanced the next day - simply put some of the pulled meat into a frying pan to heat through.

It also freezes really well.
  • Made Piri Piri beef mince, using packet mix which had a bag in it. I nearly always use bags. Made rice pudding in a silicon giant cake mould, trouble is it makes several servings and theres only me, same problem with the mash, I would end up having in only one meal. I use my SC all the while as I have a timer I bought from sm and put my porridge on to switch on in we small hours, I do not like the overnight oats - cold.
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    on sunday i popped a small piece of pork in my slow cooker and we had a roast dinner. I also like to do a bit of gammon in there, throw it in with a can of colca, or any fizzy drink. I once did it with a fruity cider and it was lush!

Soup is made occasionally but next on my hit list to try is the whole chicken
  • Hi, can you tell me how you cook the beetroot and for how long, Cheers!
  • jan911uk wrote: »
    Hi, can you tell me how you cook the beetroot and for how long, Cheers!

I've done beetroot the same as baked potatoes, rubbed with a little oil, salt & pepper then, depending on their size, wrap individually or 2/3 in foil and cook on high for 3-4 hours turning occasionally. Once cooked and cool enough to handle rub skins off with paper towel or rubber gloves.

In my SC today I've done some chickpeas, soaked the dried ones overnight then cooked on low for about 4 hours in veg stock with and onion and a bay leaf. I'll use some for hummus tomorrow and freeze the rest.
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Batch cooked sausages which I chop up into thirds then two tins of baked beans and two tins of chopped toms. Just before the end of cooking I put in some gravy granules and give a good stir. About an hour after that I have a lovely sausage casserole which can be served with mash, pasta, rice, cous cous etc., I normally freeze a few portions as well.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 September 2019 at 8:26PM
    jan911uk wrote: »
    Hi, can you tell me how you cook the beetroot and for how long, Cheers!

I just wash the beetroot and pop it in without 'top and tailing' with plain water reaching about a quarter of the way up the beets. Simply pop on high and cook for around 3-4 hours, depending how big they are. I did 4 hrs because mine were huge.

When cold just rub the skins off and top and tail. The smell in the house is amazing!
  • Need2bthrifty - are your jackets similar in taste and texture to oven baked ones, please? :)
  • What a great thread! Does a whole chicken go brown as it would if it was roasted, or would it look as if it had been boiled? I am going to do bake pots sounds lovely :)
    Weight loss 6lb/16lb 10lb to go
    I spend an insane amount of time wondering if I am doing it right, sometimes I remind myself that I am doing my best....and that is enough
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback