PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What's in your Slow Cooker 2019

Apologies if we have a new thread but I can't find it anywhere! I loved the 'what's in your SC today' thread for meal ideas and inspiration.

I'm hoping to use my 3.5l SC 3x a week at least as it saves time and money for us and it brilliant for feeding everyone a hot meal when we have all been out at work/school ;)

Today I have chilli in mine all ready to go. Half will be used for tea next week and half will be frozen so I have some as back up for the days we can't get cooking.

I tend to use the same meals over and over but they are well loved family favourites, happy to try some new ideas out (have been looking at doing a full English breakfast one day!)

I hope we can revive this thread as I think with the winter months fast approaching it is a great way to feed the family in less :j

Who has something in the SC today?

Tink
Living the simple life

Comments

• Wow, was just coming on here to start a thread along exactly those same lines. Thank you!

I'm just trying a quick korma curry with a jar of Tesco sauce and some chopped chicken breast. Need it ready for 4pm so, unless anyone knows better, was going to pop it on at 12pm on High with a half cup of water added.

I'm winging it as I've not done before. If anyone knows its better on low or medium for longer I'd be most grateful of the advice. ;)

Love slow cooker season. Oh and just emptied it of a load of beetroot that cooked beautifully in it. :D
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    cheerfulness4 I prefer to slow cook on Low rather than High. As you haven't got quite enough time for the full 8 hours I'd put it on now for about 1 hr 30mins on High and then turn down to low until you're ready to eat at 4pm.

1 Hour on High is equivalent to 2 hours on Low.

Have to say I've been using my pressure cooker rather than SC although I do still use the SC occasionally.

Denise
  • Thanks joedenise, I'll do that now. :)
  • Yesterday it was a whole chicken, I'm amazed at how effectively slow cookers cook chicken on low. Just the chicken nothing else and 5 hours later you have perfectly cooked meat and some beautiful concentrated chicken stock to use in soups, wonderful stuff.
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    That's great!

Cheerfulness: I'd put it on high for a bit then turn it down to low, Ive done curry with jars before and they have turned out fine just don't put too much water in. Slow cooker season has arrived :D

JoeDenise: I have never used a PC before, think I'm scared after my parents had an ancient one that used to shake and you had to unscrew to let some steam out or it would go bang!

MrsLW: I love a whole chicken in too - I make a 'lift' out of tinfoil strips so I can lift it out as it always falls apart! I put the bones back in and make stock afterwards ;)

Tink
    Living the simple life
  • That's a good tip with the 'lift' as I usually try with two fish slices and it frequently slips and I get hot stock splash me.

I love garlic, thyme and lemon in my whole chicken and that stock makes amazing gravy and also stock for rice.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yesterday I did pulled pork using a small piece of loin from the freezer, it made 3 generous portions, could have stretched it to 4 with roasties etc, but a generous portion made OH happy.

May do a LF rice pud in the 1.5 litre one later.

Haven't done a whole chicken for a while, this may sound odd from a MSE'er, but I have eaten so much rubber chicken through all the lean years, that I much prefer one chicken meal and be done with it, however chicken thighs in the SC can made yummy curries and casseroles, 1 for that day and 1 for the freezer makes me happy.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • I've just put lean braising steak, carrots, onions and a vac pac of chestnuts left over from Christmas in mine. 7 hours on low and will serve with cavallo Nero and jacket pots.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've got chicken on the menu plan for next weekend - SC will be on. I usually use 4 half onions underneath to keep it off the bottom and they are lovely served with the chicken.

I'll also roast some potatoes & veg to go with it.

Denise
  • When I have potatoes going off/going out of date I chop them up and put them in the slow cooker with 60ml water 60g butter salt and pepper, on low for 6-7 hours or on high 3-4 hours. Then at the end mash with 120ml milk.

I also tried a basic chicken teriyaki which turned out nice. Chicken cooked in a slow cooker is my favourite way - other ways seem to just dry it out. I chopped 3 chicken breasts, added soy sauce, few tbsps of apple cider vinegar, some chopped ginger and garlic cloves and a few teaspoons of sugar. Cooked on low for 6 hours then mixed 2 tsps corn flour with 2 tbsps water then added to the chicken and mixed.
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure