Thoughts on Lidl?

I have been shopping at Tesco for the past few years but recently I have been trying to save money and decided that I would switch supermarket to save a bit more money each month. I have seen that Lidl is the cheapest supermarket and I was wondering if anyone has any experience shopping there? I've heard the quality isn't as great but I'm not really too fussy when it comes to food so I don't think I would mind so much.

Cheapest-Supermarket-538x1024.png

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 August 2019 at 11:35AM
    It's a pity they didn't include Aldi in their comparison, because I suspect that would have been marginally cheaper than Lidl.

There's nothing wrong with Lidl quality, and if you are already buying own-brand goods from another supermarket, Lidl "weird brand" goods won't be much different, in fact some of their ranges may actually be better (in particular Dairy, Breakfast Cereals, Chocolate, Bakery).

The only way, really, is to try for yourself. See what you like, see what is a big enough saving to justify odd pack sizes or weird brand names.

edit: Anyone doing a comparison at the moment should be aware that both Aldi & Lidl seem to be having on-going supply problems with Juice & Squash. Lidl is particularly badly affected with the range being smaller than usual, changing frequently, and shelves sometimes being completely empty (e.g. of squash) as customers swap between types in order to get anything at all.

It's sad as Lidl used to have a comprehensive range of No Added Sugar "Juices" that were very good, and good VFM, but they are almost all absent now.
  • stingey
    stingey Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Love Lidl and Aldi. Quality and taste of their products have got better over the years. It's a case of trying different items to see what you like. I mix my shopping with Lidl/Aldi/Iceland/Farmfoods. I can then get a balance of good price and branded items I know my family will eat.
    Just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean I hate you. We need to understand this as a Society :beer:
    Each morning we are born again, what we do today is what matters the most.
    Debt-free wannabe....
    May 2016: £53k and counting down.;):T
    April 2018: £34k and counting down :j
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Julio72 wrote: »
    I've heard the quality isn't as great

Go see for yourself then. I have no issues with the quality with the exception of carrots (which have a ridiculously short shelf life) but then again I have issues with the gluten free pasta from Asda and the dog food from Tesco and so on......

The only criticism I do have is that I can't get everything from Lidl but those items are not the every week staple items and as Tesco is right next door, I just get them from there.
  • Cornucopia wrote: »
    It's a pity they didn't include Aldi in their comparison, because I suspect that would have been marginally cheaper than Lidl....

Why do you suspect that? Do you also suspect Waitrose and the Co-op are not included because they will more expensive than Tesco? What about Iceland?
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It all depends on what you buy, but you may still end up having to go elsewhere for certain items, as there are some things Lidl simply don't sell. Never had any issues with quality though, and I've noticed newer branches are getting bigger, so presumably stock a wider range.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Why do you suspect that? Do you also suspect Waitrose and the Co-op are not included because they will more expensive than Tesco? What about Iceland?

I mean I suspect they would have got another good data point for their survey if they had included Aldi. Waitrose would have been useful, too. I don't think their exclusion is "suspicious".

I think Iceland and Co-op are somewhat different offerings as to make comparison with the others difficult.
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Such comparisons are not direct comparisons as they can't be. For example, you can buy very cheap eggs or expensive eggs, "own brand", and chicken where most are rubbery or watery however Sainsburys and Asda's own range are not rubbery or watery and are also thick breast meat - those are better value than cheaper.

As a rule from my experiences, Tesco are the most expensive, followed by Sainsburys and Morrisions; Asda are the best for many things however not all; Aldi and Lidl seem to have creeped up their prices over the last years so are not a cheap retailer as they used to be, however perception hasn't as yet cought up on that yet so people still buy there.

Best thing to do is just buy own-brand supermarket items on different weeks from different supermarkets, then decide what is nice and what isn't; then when you go shopping buy different things in each store depending on what you prefer. Remember, "own brand" is made by the named brands, so no snobbery!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Not sure if this is widespread but stock was low in our local Lidl today. We don't shop there regularly so DH planned to buy his favourite muesli and a few large jars of cornichons. Just 4 bags of the muesli and no cornichons.

It might have been the vouchers or the B word. Anyone else noticed?
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I prefer Aldi - unlike Tesco, all of their meat is sourced from the UK. I find it appalling that lamb from New Zealand is peddled at the same price as UK lamb. Sainsbury's is also guilty of this, but at least they have some UK lamb....
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    maman wrote: »
    Not sure if this is widespread but stock was low in our local Lidl today. We don't shop there regularly so DH planned to buy his favourite muesli and a few large jars of cornichons. Just 4 bags of the muesli and no cornichons.

It might have been the vouchers or the B word. Anyone else noticed?

Ah yes the B word, aong with the e and c word where customers buy excess amount of food thinking the shops will be closed for a whole week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure