British Airways **STRIKE DATES ANNOUNCED FOR SEPTEMBER 9th, 10th & 27th**

worldtraveller
worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
edited 23 August 2019 at 5:30PM in Overseas holidays & travel planning
British Airways passengers could face August disruption after three unions rejected a pay offer and one announced a strike ballot.

The British Airline Pilots’ Association (BALPA), Unite and the GMB union have been in joint talks with BA over a pay claim, together with profit-sharing and share benefits, since November 2018.

It is the first time that unions representing pilots, cabin crew, ground staff and engineers have joined forces in negotiations.

The union has issued formal notice to BA of a ballot on industrial action. BALPA is posting out ballots on 26 June. The closing date will be 22 July.

Were the members to vote for a strike, the earliest it could begin would be 5 August.

The Independent

23/8 EDITED DUE TO STRIKE DATES ANNOUNCEMENT
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...

Comments

• worldtraveller
    The British Airline Pilots’ Association (Balpa) says that conciliation talks with British Airways have broken down.

Pilots working for BA are being balloted by Balpa about a strike over pay. The union has been in talks with the airline at the conciliation service, Acas, for two days.

Balpa’s general secretary, Brian Strutton, said: “It is bitterly disappointing that despite two full days at Acas we are still no further forward. ....“Until BA changes its attitude there is little prospect of talks resuming.”

A spokesperson for British Airways said: “We are disappointed that Balpa has walked away from conciliation with Acas this evening.

“We remain open and flexible to find a solution to protect hard-working families looking forward to their summer breaks.”

The Independent understands that talks are not believed to have broken down irrevocably, and could start again in the next few days.

The Independent
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • worldtraveller
    edited 22 July 2019 at 6:42AM
    The pilots’ strike ballot ends today, 22 July.

If the ballot is in favour of a strike, the union can call a strike, giving British Airways two weeks’ notice. The earliest day any strike could commence, therefore, is Monday 5 August.

Alternatively, the union can resume/continue negotiations with BA, and can maintain the threat of strike action to 22 January 2020.
  • worldtraveller
    edited 22 July 2019 at 4:48PM
    Millions of British Airways passengers booked to travel from the second week of August onwards face uncertainty about their flights, after 93% of BA pilots voted in favour of industrial action on a turn-out of 90%.

Brian Strutton, general secretary of Balpa, said: “This strong result demonstrates the resolve of BA pilots, and shows BA that it must table a sensible improved offer if a strike is to be averted.

The union has not announced any industrial action as it faces an immediate court challenge from the airline.

BA is seeking a High Court injunction against Balpa on the grounds of legal technicalities involving the ballot.

The hearing is scheduled for Tuesday morning at the High Court.

Were BA to be refused an injunction and a strike were announced tomorrow, the earliest it could begin is 6 August.

Independent
  • worldtraveller
    edited 23 July 2019 at 4:00PM
    Current & ongoing Latest Industrial Action Information page on BA website:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/incident/strike/latest-information
  • worldtraveller
    BA has lost it's legal action in seeking a High Court injunction against Balpa on the grounds of legal technicalities involving the ballot.

Balpa can now call strike dates with two weeks’ notice.

However, it has yet to set dates and both sides have said they remain open to talks.
  • worldtraveller
    British Airways are appealing the High Court decision. The appeal is likely to be heard this Friday, or next Monday.

According to Simon Calder of The Independent:

"The general secretary of @BALPApilots says no strike will be announced before next Monday, which means industrial action no earlier than 13 August. He stresses that no date has been set. Both sides now calling on each other to resume talks."

https://twitter.com/SimonCalder/status/1153725451875037188
  • Thanks for all the updates :)

So does this mean the "two week clock" isn't running yet? Can the earliest date for strike action still be 6th August as before? if not, what is currently the earliest date strike action could be?

Cheers
  • worldtraveller
    edited 24 July 2019 at 10:03AM
    Seagull27 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the updates :)

So does this mean the "two week clock" isn't running yet? Can the earliest date for strike action still be 6th August as before? if not, what is currently the earliest date strike action could be?

Cheers

The minimum notice that Balpa can give for a strike is two weeks. They have said that no strike will be announced before next Monday, which means industrial action no earlier than 13 August.

That doesn't mean that a strike will be called on Monday, starting on the 13th. It's the earliest strike date that could occur IF they were to call a strike on Monday.
  • Well, that's good to hear (for me at least). I was thinkig that if the appeal is rejected that it might then go back to the original "start date".

Thanks for confirming. And apologies also as I see you already stated this info in the post before mine. Not sure how I missed that!

Cheers

PS - one panic down - one to go!!! :
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76071732#post76071732
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just out of interest , there doesn't seem to be any detail as to why the pilots' union are rejecting the pay deal. Compared to what's been announced recently it seems fairly generous. Anyone know?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure