Physiotherapy

Options
Saw my GP yesterday about severe knee pain. After examination told it is a cartilage problem and I will need to try physiotherapy before anything else is considered.

Phoned this morning as I apparently have to self refer. Offered a telephone consultation in 10 days time and dependent on the result could be waiting 13 weeks before being seen. What am i going to say on a telephone consultation? I can't walk because it hurts too much, can't sleep because it hurts when I move and wakes me up.

Looks like it might have to be private physio or get addicted to painkillers.

Comments

• LocoLoco
    Options
    If you have the money to go private it's well worth it; we've used NHS and private for my son and the private service was worlds apart, not just because we could be seen quickly and at a place closer to us than the NHS clinic but because they really helped with his overall health and situation. The NHS clinic gave us a page of exercises to do and discharged him immediately. I can't remember how much we paid now but it wasn't a terrifying amount so if there's any way you can pay even just for a couple of sessions it might help. Hope you can get something sorted soon.
  • gingertomantiques
    Options
    Having had numerous sport related knee injuries over the years , medical thinking on treatment has changed.
    Surgery for knee cartilage is now a last resort & physiotherapy is considered to be as effective.
    The issue is the delay, the sooner you start treatment the better. Nhs physio is very ltd & is exercise based not hands on.
    Initially treat the pain ibuprofen or diclofenac. elevate the limb, rest & ice the knee. A knee support or brace can also be used. Sit on a chair, raising & gently straightening the leg.
    Next exercise bike ( not the reclining type) non load bearing exercise. all this you can do yourself
    After a week or 2 swelling & pain will ease
    A sport physio is a good choice, cost £40 - £60 .They will give you exercises to do.You should only need one or 2 visits
    The best place for exercises is a gym. You need to build the muscles around the knee & to do this you need weights , If you exercise without weight the good leg over compensates & takes the load off the bad leg negating any benefit, with weights the muscles in the bad leg have to work.
    Physio is something that you have do yourself with guidance, to little is ineffective, to much & the injury reoccurs. You will need determination & willpower.
    Hopefully at this point you will see an Nhs physio. request an mri scan ( not xray) as this is the only way to see what is going on.
    In conclusion you need to self help yourself
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport