Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Options

Comments

• Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Been away a few days so now trying to play catch up.
    Figures from the 15th being 3.8, 2.02, 4.68 & 3.99 O's. Currently running at 96% of pvgis v5, an average August day being 3.81 O's.
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,793 Forumite
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    One last thing* another reason for undersizing inverters relates to the permission required from the DNO when you add a SSEG (small scale electricity generator) to the network. For anything that can (even theoretically) export 3.68kW's or more, you need prior approval from them.

So, combine this with at the time a FiT tariff that reduced at 4kWp+, and we get an additional reason to keep the inverter at or below 3.68kW. Basically as far as the DNO was interested, you could have as much PV as you like, so long as the inverter wasn't capable of exceeding an AC output of more than 3.68kW.

When I added to my original 3.58kW system that at the time had two inverters totalling 3.7kW (in this instance the PV being under 3.68kW) I had to get permission from the DNO, and I'm now allowed to have inverters totalling 5.9kW.

*Obviously I and others love to chat about PV and all the ins and outs, but to prevent too much diversion on this thread, best to choose another, or might I suggest you start one based on your personal set up, as I find it interesting, and my sister has just bought a property with mains leccy and water but no other services, and when she moves in I'm on call to offer suggestions such as heatpumps, PV etc etc.. So the more you can share the better.

I have just watched the video which I thought was excellent. I noticed in the video that the installers initially supplied a 5Kw inverter then replaced it with a 6kw inverter. I think it might be worthwhile the OP checking with the installers that they got DNO permission for 6 Kw. I had a system installed last year and when I decided I wanted to add some panels I asked my installer what capacity system had been approved by my DNO. It turned out the DNO application had not gone through even though I had 7.2Kw inverter capacity. Negotiations are ongoing with the DNO but it hasn’t started off well with the DNO only approving 5.9 Kw capacity (which coincidentally is the same as what Mart was offered).

Apologies for continuing to take this thread off topic but maybe when the OP posts his next video update (which I am looking forward to) it could be done under a separate Home Farm Solar Installation thread.

Ken
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • mrmmhf
    mrmmhf Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've created a new thread here so that we can continue the discussion - this has been extremely educational for me - back to just posting Os here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76174802#post76174802
  • mrmmhf
    mrmmhf Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    4.97 Os yesterday.
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    4.25 O's for today.;)
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,548 Forumite
    edited 19 August 2019 at 11:10PM
    Options
    3.75 O's here. Away for most of the day so nearly all of it went to the grid:eek:

Edit:- I also managed to charge my electric toothbrush for free:rotfl:
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    4.25 O's yesterday.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    The sun has finally set on a very good day here recording 5.4 O's and taking us back up to 99.5% of pvgis for the month!:)
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,793 Forumite
    Options
    3.55 Os yesterday and 2.86 today.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    Another decent day...

3.98 O's

August is heading towards a very productive month with only 2 bad days so far.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback