Cancelled Train Services Refund from the Trainline.com

My wife and I were unable to make a planned journey from Kings Cross on Saturday due to a fatality on the line resulting in all services being cancelled. Whilst we were inconvenienced we were both sad that someone should end their life in such a violent fashion.

I saw on the MSE site advice about RecentTrainTimes and it shows all services being cancelled between 14:00 and 18:00.

I tried to obtain a refund at the ticket office, however I had purchased tickets through TheTrainline.com so was advised to contact them.

The online reclaim process is simple if a bit archaic in terms of requiring physical tickets to be returned by post.

TheTrainline.com want to charge a £10 administration fee and as is the way with these virtual companies there is no immediate way to raise a query.

Had I changed my plans I would accept having to suffer the admin fee, however as I was unable to travel due to all services being cancelled what are my rights? I would like to reference them in a letter when returning my tickets to obtain my refund.

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    But you still used the trainline’s services right? To both buy and refund.
    It wasn’t their fault either and I don’t think they should be expected to run their business of providing tickets for free.

If you had bought from the train company direct then I’d say you have a good point, but you didn’t you chose to buy from a third party companies whose operating policies and terms and conditions you don’t like.
    The third party have provided their service both of providing ticket and providing a refund.
    No harm on trying but i don’t think you’ve got a case.

Is there any reason you chose to buy through a 3rd party where you don’t even like the way they operate rather than directly from the train company?
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Trainline charge and rail companies do not. You've now discovered a second reason why not to use them.
  • Thanks to both the respondents - I am not a Consumer Rights expert but figure if you don't ask you don't get.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    This is the main reason why using third party rail ticket sellers isn't a good idea. Use a train operating company site and you get a 100% refund.

It isn't moneysaving when you have to pay to get your own money back, but it's the way Trainline generate income to survive.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Under the most basic law of contract, they cannot hold on to the money you paid for a service they did not provide, nor charge you for returning that money. The ten pound admin charge is obviously in place for people whose plans change, and so forth.

In your position I would send a Letter Before Action and make a complaint to the regulator (via Passenger Focus).
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It doesn't matter where you bought the ticket, you still claim from the train company. Try it.
  • I had the same situation some years back. On a chiltern to London which was stopped just outside Banbury then reversed back and terminated at Leamington.

My ticket was bought through trainline (company mandatory policy) who initially said they would only refund unused return portion.

I tried Chiltern who refused point blank any refund as under conditions of their charter an event outside their control (fatality on the line) was excluded. So no refund. Annoyingly they also kept the tickets so I couldn't go back to trainline :mad:
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We recently purchased tickets directly from GWR and the return journey was delayed by more than an hour.

Put a claim in online and got confirmation of a 50% refund of the total fare within the week.

Very easy process and no hassle. It pays to book direct with the operator wherever possible.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2019 at 8:16PM
    lisyloo wrote: »
    But you still used the trainline’s services right? To both buy and refund.
    It wasn’t their fault either and I don’t think they should be expected to run their business of providing tickets for free.

If you had bought from the train company direct then I’d say you have a good point, but you didn’t you chose to buy from a third party companies whose operating policies and terms and conditions you don’t like.
    The third party have provided their service both of providing ticket and providing a refund.
    No harm on trying but i don’t think you’ve got a case.

Is there any reason you chose to buy through a 3rd party where you don’t even like the way they operate rather than directly from the train company?
    You've made this up! It's completely incorrect.
    DominicM wrote: »
    ...Trainline.com want to charge a £10 administration fee ....

Trainline are obliged to refund you the full amount; they are not allowed to charge a £10 admin fee. Sometimes they try it on; be persistent. If they do not treat you well, go to another retailer.

There are many other third party retailers who will treat you better than Trainline but it is not correct to say that a third party is allowed to charge fees in such circumstances. They are not!
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    It doesn't matter where you bought the ticket, you still claim from the train company. Try it.
    This isn't true if the customers are requesting a refund for an unused ticket; this should go to the retailer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure