Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 8th Jan 19, 6:52 PM
    • 6,029Posts
    • 20,947Thanks
    missymoo81
    Missy, Roo and May Stretching out every last penny whilst drowning in Budgets, groceries & laundry!
    • 8th Jan 19, 6:52 PM
    Missy, Roo and May Stretching out every last penny whilst drowning in Budgets, groceries & laundry! 8th Jan 19 at 6:52 PM
    Hi!

I thought it was definitely time for a new adventure. I'm a 30 something mum of 2 small people 5 and 7, I work mostly from home and have a wage that doesn't match my outgoings. Lightbulb was this months rent that I had to put on my CC, which i know is a very slippery slope.

So I am going to use this to keep me motivated and most of all organised, organisation is key for me, as I end up running out of money as I spend on expensive things for convenience due to not planning ahead enough, like getting petrol from an expensive garage as i haven't got it sooner from the supermarket, or having to pop to the co op as its the closest supermarket as I haven't planned a head enough for meals and consequently pay twice as much for things.I think I'm entitled to some sort of tax credits/universal credits but I'm the worst self sabotager and get most of the way through the application and end up having to do something else and not finishing it!! I've also got lots of things to eBay which are just sitting there. I know, I know, I annoy myself!!!!

I've come from being married and having more money than sense, to being divorced and having no money, so I'm on a big learning curve!

I have a rotten cold at the moment, so not going into work but have done lots of emails and messages from home. But I have done 2 loads of washing, been to Lidl, put a stew in the slow cooker, tidied up a little, dropped some food off to OH and done yet more work.

I will write an SOA soon, but for now I'm spending as little as possible.

Achievements today since LB moment. I didn't buy a costalot coffee, I actually remembered my bags for Lidls (small steps), and i substituted beef for chicken in the stew I've put in the slow cooker which has saved me nearly £2. I also paid for my whole shop in £1 coins!

I bugeted £30 for shopping and paid £29.58, didn't get jam though as Lidl don't seem to do a basics one. I will definitely need to do at least one more shop this week. I'll probably do one on Thursday when youngest is at Rainbows. I've got chicken for stew for tonight, Fajitas for tomorrow and curry for friday, but need to get something for Thursday, maybe Chilli.... We tend to eat toast, porridge or egg sandwiches for breakfast, I struggle with healthy lunches, but children get free school meals and dinner is usually something high in protein.

Anyway now I'm rambling.....I hope you can come along on this journey with me. I love to read others diaries too as it really helps me stay motivated.

Anyway speak soon

Much love

Missy x
Page 3
    • mummypinksparkles
    • By mummypinksparkles 10th Jan 19, 3:52 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    mummypinksparkles
    P.S not sure how much I can help but I worked for Universal credit for a few years before mat leave
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 10th Jan 19, 5:08 PM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 20,947 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Oooh PS can I Pm you?
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 10th Jan 19, 5:55 PM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 20,947 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ok so May is still poorly, apparently there are 7 off in her class with it! I just hope we don’t all get it. I feel awful still anyway, this cold/virus/bug is knocking me for 6! May hasn’t slept all day which has meant I haven’t either. She’s just tried to have some toast but she managed a bite. She’s just had some calpol, unfortunately it’s the pink one so everything Is likely to be fluorescent pink if that comes back up!!! BF has been a star he went and picked Roo up from school and got me some tablets and some food. I’ve just looked in the mirror and wished I hadn’t! Black matted hair, black eye bags, white face... it’s not a good look.

Have had a think and I’m going to have to add to my credit card to pay off a bill I have, I literally have no choice. The amount has bounced twice. It will max out the card but it’s at 0%. That way it can be getting paid off each month and I don’t have to sorry about it anymore. Still have the £300 bill on top of that for the solicitors but I’m going to say I can pay £50 a week on that as they’ve offered a payment plan... I need to get down to the nitty gritty with the £s and pence in my bank account and allocate the money and see what I left if any.

Still need to get shoes for kiddies but that can wait week or 2, might see if I can polish them a little.... still need to get birthday presents for kids parties at the weekend. Really struggling with that. Also need to get some v cheap sheets as a priority as I don’t have a drier and another night like last night and I’m not sure what I’ll do!

Have found some nice pyjamas on eBay. If they go for the list price they’ll be £5.50 for two but who knows if they will or not.

BF has also given me load of change from his change pot, so I will be food shopping with That until it runs out. Thank goodness for self service tills!
    Last edited by missymoo81; 10-01-2019 at 5:58 PM.
    • mummypinksparkles
    • By mummypinksparkles 10th Jan 19, 7:21 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    mummypinksparkles
    Of course you can pm me
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Jan 19, 8:20 AM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 20,947 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ok so still all poorly in this house! May is still sick I’m still nursing this horrenous cold, really hoping BF will do my shift at work for me tonight. Although I slept on the lounge floor as only place I was comfy and not coughing and bless him he laid with me, but consequently didn’t sleep all night! He’s gone up to bed whilst I’m trying to get Roo ready for school. Really hope I don’t see anyone on the school run. I look horrenous! Will post more when I get back.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Jan 19, 8:59 AM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 20,223 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning missy,

Hope you and the family are feeling better soon. It can so cruel when everyone is impacted with it.

Have you read/watched Marie Kondo and the art of tidying up? That really helped me de-clutter and decide what was for the bin, charity shop or eBay. I highly recommend it.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Jan 19, 9:27 AM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 20,947 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Bless I could cry with gratitude. BF has just got up and taken Roo to school without being asked and wouldnít listen when I said no. Iím so grateful for him!

Me and May are sat under a blanket on the sofa. Iíve got coffee, sheís got s banana. Hopefully it will stay down! Iíve just transferred the £600 I needed on the 0% card. Which means I can pay my outstanding invoice!! Iíve got a few bids on stuff on eBay. I really need to list some more but I think Iíll wait for Sunday. Still havenít got birthday presents. Going to have to go to Tesco as I havenít had chance to go to the city with feeling so rotten.
    Iím going to see if I can get our shopping bill down to £50 so Iím going to go on my supermarket to see where is cheapest.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 20,947 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Morning missy,

Hope you and the family are feeling better soon. It can so cruel when everyone is impacted with it.

Have you read/watched Marie Kondo and the art of tidying up? That really helped me de-clutter and decide what was for the bin, charity shop or eBay. I highly recommend it.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    Hi Speky,

Thank you! I watched the first one the other day! It does really help, I use her rolling/folding method! All of the children’s clothes are nicely folded. I just need to do mine. I don’t hoard a lot of stuff it’s just clothes and toys mainly. But I feel so much better when I declutter. Although the kitchen could do with a going over. Things keep falling out Of the cupboard. Thanks for popping by.
    Last edited by missymoo81; 11-01-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 11th Jan 19, 10:30 AM
    • 10,098 Posts
    • 34,718 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope you are all feeling better soon.

I put big towels on the bed when it's sickness. The kids have never minded and it saves on the sheets. They are easy to pull off and chuck on a hot wash. We've always got more towels than bedding.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Jan 19, 10:34 AM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 20,947 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Have just listed a gro clock on FB so hopefully that’s a tenner coming my way. Fingers crossed.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Jan 19, 10:35 AM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 20,947 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hope you are all feeling better soon.

I put big towels on the bed when it's sickness. The kids have never minded and it saves on the sheets. They are easy to pull off and chuck on a hot wash. We've always got more towels than bedding.
    Originally posted by jwil
    Ah thatís a good idea! Iíve kept 2 big towels on top of the normal ones we use every day. We have sooo many hand towels though, and bath mats. Hoping the charity shop will appreciate them!
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 11th Jan 19, 10:59 AM
    • 7,645 Posts
    • 10,446 Thanks
    Lucifa73

I canít afford Clarkís so Iím hoping that if I buy another supermarket pair I can make them last until July..... and is it wrong if I spend the smalls Xmas money on them? I got £10 each from my Nan and grandad for them..... feel a bit guilty..... hmmmm...
    Originally posted by missymoo81
    Clarks have a sale on at the moment. I got both boys new school shoes last week for £25 in total. There were a lot of school styles on the stand so might be worth a look?
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 700/13876.59 : W 0% 80/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =23.22%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% £200/£2,977 =6.72%
    SPC 2019 #073

• missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Jan 19, 11:00 AM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 20,947 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ok... so I’ve gone onto entitled to.com. Apparently I can claim £175 a week. Which is a lot but my concern last time was when I put all the info into the application it told me I needed to be looking for work?! Even though I’m self employed?! Does anyone know how many hours I have to work to be entitled to Universal Credit. Is it 24? As the old system it was only 16.... really do need to sort that out, if it’s correct, as it would mean I can actually afford to live!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Jan 19, 12:18 PM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 20,947 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ah getting grumpy being at home, feel useless and gross for being poorly.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Jan 19, 2:14 PM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 20,947 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ok, have looked at food budget and have put a weeks worth of shopping in the Tesco app. And I think including toiletries etc I can do about £60 a week. So Iíll say £250 and hope for the best! I spend about £80 on fuel a month.

So, outgoings so far are:
    250 shopping BF usually pays a lot of this
    80 petrol
    770 rent and bills
    250 ccís
    72 after school club
    15 phone
    38 sofa
    10 iTunes

=1485

Ok so I bring home £576 from work +£400 CHild maint, then £138 child benefit which works out at £1114!!!!

Wow! I didnít realise I was nearly £380 short each month!!!!!

OMG I feel sick!!! Deep breaths..... ok I need to sort out universal credit TODAY!!!!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Jan 19, 2:56 PM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 20,947 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Still in shock!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Jan 19, 3:27 PM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 20,947 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ah BF forgot to pick up Roo!!! Can’t be cross as he was doing me a favour! But arghhhh feel awful for Roo sitting there on his own! BF is beating himself up about it..... I feel useless! Grrrrr! Not having the best day feel so overwhelmed I could cry!
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 11th Jan 19, 4:11 PM
    • 3,360 Posts
    • 31,251 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I think once you go to the meeting for Universal credit (after you've applied online they will arrange an appointment for you to be seen) At the meeting they should tell you what you need to do work wise etc

I hope you're all feeling better soon.

Budget is hard, I think without claiming UC you're never going to make it work. Does BF live with you? Is that your half of the bills if so?
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.Ē

POAMAYC 19 #70 £1561/£2070
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Jan 19, 4:16 PM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 20,947 Thanks
    missymoo81
    I think once you go to the meeting for Universal credit (after you've applied online they will arrange an appointment for you to be seen) At the meeting they should tell you what you need to do work wise etc

I hope you're all feeling better soon.

Budget is hard, I think without claiming UC you're never going to make it work. Does BF live with you? Is that your half of the bills if so?
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Oh god I have to have a meeting with them?! Itís so much harder than the old system!!! Panicking now! Arrghhhh.

Ok deep breaths, have found more things to eBay/sell so hoping to get a few £ for them. So I can at least break even this month.

Yes the £770 is my half of everything x
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 11th Jan 19, 4:22 PM
    • 3,360 Posts
    • 31,251 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I think so (don't take my word I haven't had to claim it) but I think so. I don't think it's anything to worry about though. Maybe post for help over on the benefits board? There will be someone over there that has better answers and at least then you know where you stand?

Is there any of the bills coming up for renewal you can switch and save? I don't have much useful help as the shortfall is so big Other than making sure you try and make sorting the benefits out your first priority

x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.Ē

POAMAYC 19 #70 £1561/£2070
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,794Posts Today

6,255Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• It isn't statistically representative true. But to say that tells us nothing isn't correct. It shows what people i? https://t.co/JBLu6Cd8a5

• Very interesting that on my Facebook page (which tends to be more pro Brexit) the same vote, with similar number of? https://t.co/NgYxaQDCnr

• Follow Martin