Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • venomx
    • By venomx 11th Jan 19, 2:48 PM
    • 301Posts
    • 34Thanks
    venomx
    Ridiculous Energy Bill
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:48 PM
    Ridiculous Energy Bill 11th Jan 19 at 2:48 PM
    HI
    I left my old property last week, and just got a letter off scottish power saying:
    Your final electricity statement for 24 November 2018- 01 January 2019
    Your account balance/final statement : 346 ?!

" Please call us with meter readings so we can confirm your final balance "
    and then says its " estimated "

whats going on here ? I was living in a one bedroom apartment.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Jan 19, 2:53 PM
    • 11,905 Posts
    • 5,320 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:53 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:53 PM
    You have meter readings ??
    • venomx
    • By venomx 11th Jan 19, 2:56 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    venomx
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:56 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:56 PM
    Yes, a night and day one.

On the letter its an estimated reading.
    • Mr.Everready
    • By Mr.Everready 11th Jan 19, 3:05 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Mr.Everready
    • 11th Jan 19, 3:05 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 3:05 PM
    There's a clue in there somewhere !!

"Please call us with meter readings so we can confirm your final balance "
    • lindens
    • By lindens 11th Jan 19, 3:08 PM
    • 2,361 Posts
    • 7,171 Thanks
    lindens
    • 11th Jan 19, 3:08 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 3:08 PM
    go online or phone them up with your meter readings and they will send you an amended bill. it's kind of explained on the bill!
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • venomx
    • By venomx 11th Jan 19, 3:11 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    venomx
    • 11th Jan 19, 3:11 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 3:11 PM
    go online or phone them up with your meter readings and they will send you an amended bill. it's kind of explained on the bill!
    Originally posted by lindens
    Ok i got through to them on the chat as they took forever to answer on the phone. They told me to contact my new supplier.

My advocate has already phoned up my new supplier with the meter readings ( after the letter was sent ) , is that all that needs to be done ?
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 11th Jan 19, 3:15 PM
    • 2,108 Posts
    • 1,798 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 11th Jan 19, 3:15 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 3:15 PM
    Ok i got through to them on the chat as they took forever to answer on the phone.

My advocate has already phoned up my new supplier with the meter readings ( after the letter was sent ) , is that all that needs to be done ?
    Originally posted by venomx

Depends on who your new supplier is and how easy a life you want!

TBH the reversing and now telling the new supplier was a bad idea. But anyway...

It cannot hurt to give them to your old supplier and may save months of going back and forth.

If you have been chasing the bargain basement cheap suppliers then I doubt they will pass the read on. They have no money to spend on such unimportant (to them) actions.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 11th Jan 19, 3:22 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    venomx
    • 11th Jan 19, 3:22 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 3:22 PM
    Its my first time moving etc so forgive me for my lack of knowledge.

But is it normal for them to over-estimate usage before the meter readings are taken ?
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 11th Jan 19, 3:31 PM
    • 2,108 Posts
    • 1,798 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 11th Jan 19, 3:31 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 3:31 PM
    Its my first time moving etc so forgive me for my lack of knowledge.

But is it normal for them to over-estimate usage before the meter readings are taken ?

The computer will either estimate using the generic profile for your properrty or if you have been with them for a number of years (in the same property) your personal profile.

I find most err upward on the estimates as people tend to prefer a refund than paying more.

Though since there is no excuse not to be submitting a read online at least once a month this should not be an issue to anyone.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 11th Jan 19, 3:52 PM
    • 3,921 Posts
    • 2,500 Thanks
    Robin9
    I am a little confused here - are we talking about your old property or both ? ......................

It's better if you take control in dealing with utilities rather than rely on others. Do you give your advocate these readings or did the old occupier?

With your new property you are now free to switch suppliers - put your estimated consumption into a comparison site.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • venomx
    • By venomx 11th Jan 19, 5:42 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    venomx
    I gave them to him. but this is after the " large " bill was sent.

the actual reading is

and the estimate is :

The fact they've over-estimated by 10,000 units of electricity should explain it, right ?
    Last edited by venomx; 11-01-2019 at 6:28 PM.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 11th Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    venomx
    Been waiting 25 minutes to get through to an advisor what a joke
    Last edited by venomx; 11-01-2019 at 7:15 PM.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 11th Jan 19, 7:56 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    venomx
    finally got through after about an hour of waiting and the guy told me "the meter reading i gave him doesnt make sense "
    So i then asked him why is my bill 350 when its never usually that much and the moron went silent
    Last edited by venomx; 12-01-2019 at 5:33 PM.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 12th Jan 19, 2:21 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    venomx
    I got the meter readings earlier from my property.
    I gave them to scottish power over the chat, and now the bill is "436.78 "
    are they taking the *** or what?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 12th Jan 19, 2:45 PM
    • 3,921 Posts
    • 2,500 Thanks
    Robin9
    Lets go back to the 24th November.

What was your credit or debit on that bill and what were the readings ? How much have you paid in DD since then ?
    • venomx
    • By venomx 12th Jan 19, 2:57 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    venomx
    There's lots of numbers and readings but it seems my last bill was around 160
    it also says
    " Your final electricity statement for 24th november 2018 - 01 january 2019 "
    Your account balance 346.04
    Your final payment 346.04

How can they justify charging me that amount of money for 7 days of electric

I called up and after half an hour got through to someone scottish i could barely understand and with all her ramblings all i could decipher was, I had a debt of 1,100 which has nearly been cleared and will be once the final payment is made
    Last edited by venomx; 12-01-2019 at 3:16 PM.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 12th Jan 19, 3:24 PM
    • 3,921 Posts
    • 2,500 Thanks
    Robin9
    ...................., I had a debt of 1,100 which has nearly been cleared and will be once the final payment is made

So you have been jumping up and down blaming SP while all along you had a big debt. Had you forgotten about this ?
    • venomx
    • By venomx 12th Jan 19, 3:30 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    venomx
    I wouldn't know as my financial advocate is supposed to take care of all my bills
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Jan 19, 4:20 PM
    • 20,395 Posts
    • 14,696 Thanks
    molerat
    You need to get your advocate or someone else who understands all this, as you obviously do not, to look through all your bills and readings and sort it out. They are not charging that for 7 days electric and calling the phone operator an idiot will not help. If you do not supply readings at least monthly you are likely to run into problems, bear this in mind going forward.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • venomx
    • By venomx 12th Jan 19, 4:22 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    venomx
    You need to get your advocate or someone else who understands all this, as you obviously do not, to look through all your bills and readings and sort it out. They are not charging that for 7 days electric and calling the phone operator an idiot will not help. If you do not supply readings at least monthly you are likely to run into problems, bear this in mind going forward.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Thanks. Yeah I cannot ever remember taking meter readings !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,688Posts Today

7,337Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• It isn't statistically representative true. But to say that tells us nothing isn't correct. It shows what people i? https://t.co/JBLu6Cd8a5

• Very interesting that on my Facebook page (which tends to be more pro Brexit) the same vote, with similar number of? https://t.co/NgYxaQDCnr

• Follow Martin