Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • castle96
    • By castle96 11th Jan 19, 2:06 PM
    • 1,736Posts
    • 294Thanks
    castle96
    Spare wheel
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:06 PM
    Spare wheel 11th Jan 19 at 2:06 PM
    While looking for a 'new' car.....
    Am I right that most newish cars do not come with a spare wheel ?, not even one of those silly little ones. Some mention "tyre inflation kit", but no spare wheel. So what are you supposed to do when you get a puncture?
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Jan 19, 2:11 PM
    • 20,406 Posts
    • 19,065 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:11 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:11 PM
    If possible, reinflate it using the reinflation kit - compressor plus goop for minor leaks.

If not possible, phone your breakdown recovery. Which, let's face it, is what most people do even with a spare.

How often do you have punctures? Don't think I've had one in a decade. Oh, wait. SWMBO had one in the last year or so after hitting something, probably a pothole. Don't hit things.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Jan 19, 2:16 PM
    • 2,804 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:16 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:16 PM
    Pay the extra £100 or so they ask for a temporary spare.
    don't count your chickens before they're hatched
    • castle96
    • By castle96 11th Jan 19, 2:27 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    castle96
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:27 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:27 PM
    If buying 2nd hand from say Availablecar. No spare or kit mentioned so where would you get a full size or even the little one. If you ring the AA what would they do? They don't carry a wheel to fit every car. I have always had older cars with a full size spare. Confused
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 11th Jan 19, 2:28 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 463 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:28 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:28 PM
    How often do you have punctures? Don't think I've had one in a decade.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I've had two in the last year - one was 100% vandalism (tyre slashed) the other a screw in the tyre.

Both times I had to call out a breakdown service as the re-inflation kits didn't work.

I'm now looking for a spare wheel and cage from a scrapper.
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 11th Jan 19, 2:32 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Tiexen
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:32 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:32 PM
    If buying 2nd hand from say Availablecar. No spare or kit mentioned so where would you get a full size or even the little one. If you ring the AA what would they do? They don't carry a wheel to fit every car. I have always had older cars with a full size spare. Confused
    Originally posted by castle96

Actually the AA do carry a spare with special brackets to fit most wheels, fit a temp tyre and then follow you to the nearest tyre centre
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Jan 19, 2:53 PM
    • 19,942 Posts
    • 14,209 Thanks
    molerat
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:53 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:53 PM
    They also carry a front wheels off the ground towing dolly folded up in the back of the van.

Loads of spare wheel kits on ebay, a nice little line from scrappies, loads come out of boots brand new and unused.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • snnl
    • By snnl 11th Jan 19, 2:55 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    snnl
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:55 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:55 PM
    I've changed tyres on several cases, with a lot of effort/sweat because in most cases the wheel nuts get stuck and there is no shifting them for love nor money with the tiny wheel wrench they provide in the boot! Had to call the AA out to assist.

One time i was lucky to pull in to a garage and they simply loosened it with a proper tyre iron/hydraulic impact wrench it was on that tight, then left me to do the rest .

I think car makers know this and simply just don't include them as they know people simply call for assistance.

Luckily on my last cars (fiesta and ibiza) I've had a space saver and a full size included and would always prefer to have one as I prefer to change it myself if i can! Cant go wrong with having it as an option.
    • chunkytfg
    • By chunkytfg 11th Jan 19, 3:01 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    chunkytfg
    • 11th Jan 19, 3:01 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 3:01 PM
    Recently replaced both my and the GF's cars and both of them came with an 'inflation kit' in the spare wheel space. 10 mins and £80 later and I had 2 brand new spare wheels and tool kits ordered and delivered a few days later.

Stupid that cars don't come with them these days but not exactly a big deal to get your own if the car has somewhere to put a spare.
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
    • missile
    • By missile 11th Jan 19, 3:08 PM
    • 9,900 Posts
    • 5,003 Thanks
    missile

Stupid that cars don't come with them these days but not exactly a big deal to get your own if the car has somewhere to put a spare.
    Originally posted by chunkytfg
    That is an issue, many cars do not have space to fit a full size spare.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • chunkytfg
    • By chunkytfg 11th Jan 19, 3:24 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    chunkytfg
    That is an issue, many cars do not have space to fit a full size spare.
    Originally posted by missile
    I have a Volvo C30 and the missus a Fiat 500 and they both have a spot for a space saver only. My old Mini cooper S had nothing but it had god awful run flat tyres.

I used to have a Smart car though and that had no space for it either. if you bought a spare as an optional extra it was just dumped in the boot space with a strap.
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Jan 19, 3:25 PM
    • 4,248 Posts
    • 3,259 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Originally posted by castle96
    Buy one from a scrapyard or Ebay. In the scrapyards that allow you to still go round them such as U Pull It when you open the boot you often find that the spare wheel is still there as space savers are worth the sum total of sod all to them.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 11th Jan 19, 3:46 PM
    • 4,933 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    knightstyle
    We bought a secondhand Cmax a couple of years ago that came with an inflation kit. I made sure I did not sign anything until the garage had swapped the kit for a spare wheel from another Cmax that was for sale.
    We have inflation kist in our Smart cars for many years and have never used them.
    • PDC
    • By PDC 11th Jan 19, 3:56 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 463 Thanks
    PDC
    Some cars do, many don't. Its all about weight saving, and so higher mileage figures, more than knowing people don't want to change a tyre.

I've only had to use a repair kit once, unfortunately it turned out the tyre had a fair sized split in it from a piece of metal - only found this out as the gunk started foaming out the split. It did get me the mile or so to a garage, just, but I was leaving a trail of the stuff behind me most of the way there.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Jan 19, 4:56 PM
    • 20,406 Posts
    • 19,065 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Some cars do, many don't. Its all about weight saving, and so higher mileage figures
    Originally posted by PDC
    That's complete and utter cobblers.

How much does a space saver spare weigh? 5kg, 10kg at most? Added to a car that weighs a ton and a half...?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Jan 19, 5:02 PM
    • 12,338 Posts
    • 9,107 Thanks
    neilmcl
    That's complete and utter cobblers.

How much does a space saver spare weigh? 5kg, 10kg at most? Added to a car that weighs a ton and a half...?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Every tiny bit of weight saving matters, it all adds up when they're trying to keep the levels of C02 down and increase MPG.
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 11th Jan 19, 10:04 PM
    • 5,314 Posts
    • 9,670 Thanks
    wymondham
    Would never have a car without a spare tyre. Those inflation kits are useless...
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 12th Jan 19, 1:02 AM
    • 6,194 Posts
    • 2,819 Thanks
    LeeUK
    If it has a spare wheel well under the boot then just source (from a scrappy or ebay) a spare wheel from the same type of car.

Even if you get a small puncture, once you have filled the tyre up with goo, that tyre is toast and will no longer be repairable.
    • Craig1981
    • By Craig1981 12th Jan 19, 7:13 AM
    • 613 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    Craig1981
    my insignia came with the inflation rubbish, but had the space for the "slim" spare wheel. bought one from a private seller, the whole kit was £100. never used the inflation or the spare wheel, but better peace of mind on long journeys than to be waiting for breakdown to arrive on a busy motorway!

just make sure if buying you get genuine spare part
    • keith1950
    • By keith1950 12th Jan 19, 8:29 AM
    • 2,560 Posts
    • 1,156 Thanks
    keith1950
    It has become the norm with most cars for a spare wheel to be an optional extra. I personally would never drive without one.
    You can usually add the option for around £300-£400 remembering that this figure will also include a jack and tools.
    Alternatively you could go out and buy a suitable steel wheel for as low as £35 and get a budget tyre (£50 ISH ) fitted.
    In my view a new car salesman isn't doing his job properly if he doesn't at least point out that there isn't a spare wheel and that the option will cost £xxx amount. But they're usually so desperate for a sale that I they will trim the price as low as possible to get the sale.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

716Posts Today

6,435Users online

Martin's Twitter