Student Loan Nearing End of Repayment - What do I need to know?

I'm currently repaying my student loan through PAYE with have approx 8 repayments left at the current deductions. I would like to continue with PAYE deductions for this tax year and then make a final direct payment in April 2019 to clear the balance. Is there anything I should be aware of before I do this?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,863
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Contact the slc in April. Have a list to hand of the student loan deductions you have made through PAYE for the 2018-19 year, as the slc won't have received updated records from hmrc by then. You then have the option of making a one off payment or making your final payments via a direct debit rather than PAYE deduction.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Thanks silvercar, that is really helpful - good to know I can make a final payment over the phone!
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Actually, call them up now, don't wait for April :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure