Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    archived user
    PC Gaming VS Console Gaming - What's your opinion
    • 10th Dec 18, 10:33 AM
    PC Gaming VS Console Gaming - What's your opinion 10th Dec 18 at 10:33 AM
    What do you think is the best type of gaming? Do you prefer PC gaming or Console gaming?

Here's the things to focus on

Do you agree that mouse control is better with pc gaming when it comes to first person shooters, think of how the mouse controls the gun so much better than a console controler

Then there's the entire genre of (MMORPG Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games where you need the keyboard controls to cast spells and to interact with the gameworld that I don't think consoles will ever be able to match

Then there's always going to be the overall graphics quality is going to be much higher on a computer
Page 4
    • matmidgley
    • By matmidgley 11th Jan 19, 1:27 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    matmidgley
    I just cant get into PC gaming, theirs too many variables and errors that could occur.

While i agree a mouse and a keyboard is the perfect set up for first person shooters, i just prefer being able to sit on the sofa, put a game in and it just work straight away.
    Originally posted by TubbyDown
    Errors such as?
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 12th Jan 19, 1:32 AM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    I like console gaming more it's comfortable and much better graphics than PC.
    Originally posted by Teresasteele
    I'm not sure if that's a typo or trolling but console graphics are a long way behind PC graphics which is to be expected for the much lower price. Even the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X while capable of 4K resolutions are hobbled by their low performance CPU's.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 12th Jan 19, 1:07 PM
    • 1,924 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Very fortunate as my gaming build savings attempt is untouched after mot pass today, thought it had potential of reducing H2s.
    I'll continue until mid/late summer and possibly increase funds considerably.
    Been watching lots of YouTube vid's -maybe Ryzen could be an option though I'm not a Radeon fan as yet though no modern experience with gpu's.
    sc dmp 2012 13k Jan 2019 9880paid. 75%approx.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    Mid 2018-Virgin Money E-saver V11 -250
    • John Blaze
    • By John Blaze 13th Jan 19, 9:58 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    John Blaze
    A great PC always wins as it's more powerful and can be upgraded etc. For a casual gamer like me I could only go with a console, if your hardcore and have cash to burn PC wins I think.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 14th Jan 19, 8:58 AM
    • 1,924 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    Dandytf
    A great PC always wins as it's more powerful and can be upgraded etc. For a casual gamer like me I could only go with a console, if your hardcore and have cash to burn PC wins I think.
    Originally posted by John Blaze
    Please include old school techy painstakingly trying to save enough for a decent mid range cpu+gpu enabled p.c.
    • smitt32
    • By smitt32 17th Jan 19, 9:48 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    smitt32
    Hi everyone. I prefer PC games. My favorite one is Battlefield 5. Of course, console games are good too, for example, I really like God of War.
    • smitt32
    • By smitt32 22nd Jan 19, 11:29 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    smitt32
    Thanks for help
    • pillar11
    • By pillar11 30th Jan 19, 6:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pillar11
    Both are good. PC is great for playing at higher frame and refresh rate. Consoles are good for playing exclusives.
    • dantendo
    • By dantendo 15th Feb 19, 8:39 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dantendo
    PC gaming for me, cheaper games and I like playing games in front of monitor.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 17th Feb 19, 10:04 AM
    • 1,924 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Took the chance to visit game store yesterday.
    Very similar to 2009 when I purchased x box (whatever version it was then) with a few bundled aaa titles)
    Yesterday both PS4+xboxone. Are very reasonable 199 with games/headset etc.
    Seems to me to be almost end of life consoles.
    Think I'll have a shot once next gen arrives, though the 4K current consoles are holding their worth.
    • DigiGav
    • By DigiGav 1st Mar 19, 2:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    DigiGav
    Well, depends on things like, how good are you with a PC, you can generally Mod and configure PC games to your liking.

Console gaming is more or less simple plug and play.

But if you need a PC for work and want to play game in spare time, spending some extra money on a work PC to making it a gaming PC might be more cost effective then buying a console e.g for me as a video editior I already needed a decent PC for work, but rather then get a Professional GPU, i got a GTX 1080ti which provides adequate workload performance in video editing while excelling at games .. plus it was like 1/4 the price to a similar spec pro card .

So PC gaming all the way for me, higher resolutions (Render rez rather then the up scaled stuff consoles do), higher frame rates since most games are uncapped, many options on input devices and can do more then a console (Normal/Work PC stuff)
    • dan958
    • By dan958 1st Mar 19, 3:32 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    dan958
    PC.

* I don't have to deal with console generations and if they are backwards compatible or not.

* More exlusives that I enjoy. (I enjoy tactical shooters like Arma, Squad, Prost Scriptum)

* I have more freedom over everything. I can play with different controllers, mouse and keyboard, a damn guitar hero controller if I want. I can also chose to be at my desk or chilling out on the sofa (which consoles can also do, but you are limited to the controller)

* Better graphics and better graphics options. I can disable motion blur on PC games. Faster FPS.
    • Zeeshan1996
    • By Zeeshan1996 9th Mar 19, 8:19 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zeeshan1996
    PC Gaming VS Console Gaming - What's your opinion
    Regardless of both PC Gaming and console gaming my suggestion is that you must try best gaming laptop this will be new and pleasant experience for your gaming.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 14th Mar 19, 10:09 PM
    • 18,493 Posts
    • 11,389 Thanks
    motorguy
    PC.

* I don't have to deal with console generations and if they are backwards compatible or not.

* More exlusives that I enjoy. (I enjoy tactical shooters like Arma, Squad, Prost Scriptum)

* I have more freedom over everything. I can play with different controllers, mouse and keyboard, a damn guitar hero controller if I want. I can also chose to be at my desk or chilling out on the sofa (which consoles can also do, but you are limited to the controller)

* Better graphics and better graphics options. I can disable motion blur on PC games. Faster FPS.
    Originally posted by dan958
    You serious? If you've an XBox One, you buy XBox One games, etc. Not terribly difficult or taxing?

Likewise with the controller. Various controllers available to suit, and no need to use a mouse or keyboard because no console games are designed to use them. And likewise if you're "chilling out on the sofa" you're going to find it hard to use a mouse and keyboard on your PC.

And guitar hero controllers came first to consoles, not PCs.
    Last edited by motorguy; 14-03-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • dan958
    • By dan958 15th Mar 19, 3:42 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    dan958
    You serious? If you've an XBox One, you buy XBox One games, etc. Not terribly difficult or taxing?

Likewise with the controller. Various controllers available to suit, and no need to use a mouse or keyboard because no console games are designed to use them. And likewise if you're "chilling out on the sofa" you're going to find it hard to use a mouse and keyboard on your PC.

And guitar hero controllers came first to consoles, not PCs.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    That is because consoles are not fully backward compatible. The Xbox 360 could play some original Xbox games, but not all. the Xbox one has some older games re-released on it (even then, this is worse than the PC as you have to rebuy them), but not all. I like my PC because if I want to play an old point and click like The Longest Journey. I can.

With controllers, consoles are extrmeley limited. Consoles HAVE to use whatever the console manufacturers limit you to. Pc doesn't have that limiatation. Besides, why would I find it difficult to use a mouse and keyboard on the sofa? You can just get a sofa tray that is designed for that. At least I can play with decent accuracy rather than using gimped analogs sticks. i'll keep the controller there for games that don't require any decent accuracy.

Yes, guitar hero controllers may have beeen out first on console, that wasnt the point I was making. The point I was making was that if I wanted to play dark Souls with a Guitar hero controller (for whatever reason). I could.

This thread is asking people why they prefer using one device over the next. It just so happens that I like being able to play my old PC games using any controller I feel in the mood for.

And your point here is funny

and no need to use a mouse or keyboard because no console games are designed to use them.
    That is why I prefer playing on the PC!
    Last edited by dan958; 15-03-2019 at 4:15 PM.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 15th Mar 19, 8:15 PM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    I agree with your point about discrete console generations as it's something I find frustrating particularly we're now a point where the PS4, Xbox and PC are all fundamentally the same now. I'm a big fan of how well Microsoft's Play Anywhere works where you can play some Xbox titles on PC and play with other Xbox One users seamlessly, it would be good to see more of that. Exclusives are all the more irritating now all the hardware is so similar, Ace Combat 7 looks like the VR missions would be a bit of entertainment but I can't play them on a PC VR headset and there's no way I'm forking out for PS VR on top of that.

The problem of discrete console generations is particularly noticeable on their release, when the Xbox One came out it had a very limited library of expensive games and it has no backwards support for either games or hardware so you couldn't use Xbox 360 controllers even though they are functionally the same. Even though the Xbox One does now support backwards compatibility the performance at best is usually only as good as it was on the 360 and in some cases a lot worse despite the much higher performance hardware. I realise it's impressive they have it working at all due to the different architectures but from a functional point of view it's frustrating.

With a PC on the other hand there's no backwards compatibility as such because pretty much any game will work and not only that, will run much better than the game did originally in its day. When you get a new PC you can carry on using all your previous controllers without having to immediately dump them all for new ones and you've the free choice of whatever controller you design you want.
    • GerardNavarrete
    • By GerardNavarrete 16th Mar 19, 8:15 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GerardNavarrete
    Hey I am new to the community and want to open myself first.
    I am Gerard as I am also a good video game players.
    According to me PC is more compatible to play video games series.
    • robertclyne
    • By robertclyne 19th Mar 19, 2:01 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robertclyne
    I choose PC over a gaming console because I can use my PC for drawing and editing (Photoshop/ClipStudio), making documents (MS Office), and streaming series and movies than a gaming console that is purely for gaming.
    • Daniel21
    • By Daniel21 21st Mar 19, 2:38 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Daniel21
    I prefer PC games
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 21st Mar 19, 5:38 PM
    • 18,493 Posts
    • 11,389 Thanks
    motorguy
    That is because consoles are not fully backward compatible. The Xbox 360 could play some original Xbox games, but not all. the Xbox one has some older games re-released on it (even then, this is worse than the PC as you have to rebuy them), but not all. I like my PC because if I want to play an old point and click like The Longest Journey. I can.

With controllers, consoles are extrmeley limited. Consoles HAVE to use whatever the console manufacturers limit you to. Pc doesn't have that limiatation. Besides, why would I find it difficult to use a mouse and keyboard on the sofa? You can just get a sofa tray that is designed for that. At least I can play with decent accuracy rather than using gimped analogs sticks. i'll keep the controller there for games that don't require any decent accuracy.

Yes, guitar hero controllers may have beeen out first on console, that wasnt the point I was making. The point I was making was that if I wanted to play dark Souls with a Guitar hero controller (for whatever reason). I could.

This thread is asking people why they prefer using one device over the next. It just so happens that I like being able to play my old PC games using any controller I feel in the mood for.

And your point here is funny

That is why I prefer playing on the PC!
    Originally posted by dan958
    Just buy the games for the console generation you have. It would be rare to find a game that you'd be standing in a shop somewhere thinking "oh i wonder if this 8 year old game works on my brand new latest gen console" and if you do find youself in that quandry its easy checked online.

The are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of brilliant games for the latest gen consoles without having to resort to the back catalog of a console from years back no longer in production.

And i personally a standard controller can be an advantage, rather than having to have a range of controllers for various games - it forces the games designers to make the most of the controllers that people have. And there are various levels of Pro controllers if people really must.

And yes, there are many valid reasons for preferring PC gaming to console, however "because not knowing if my console will play a previous console game is a problem i dont want to have to deal with" is a new one on me....
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,609Posts Today

7,067Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• It isn't statistically representative true. But to say that tells us nothing isn't correct. It shows what people i? https://t.co/JBLu6Cd8a5

• Very interesting that on my Facebook page (which tends to be more pro Brexit) the same vote, with similar number of? https://t.co/NgYxaQDCnr

• Follow Martin