Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Jan 19, 5:14 PM
    • 18,283Posts
    • 11,185Thanks
    motorguy
    Fixed speed cameras on M1?
    • 10th Jan 19, 5:14 PM
    Fixed speed cameras on M1? 10th Jan 19 at 5:14 PM
    Just had info from a friend that fixed speed cameras are now in operation on the M1?

Anyone heard of any truth in it?
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
Page 1
    • damianmcr
    • By damianmcr 10th Jan 19, 6:55 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    damianmcr
    • 10th Jan 19, 6:55 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 6:55 PM
    Its in England. I seen this rumour do the rounds.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 10th Jan 19, 7:28 PM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 10th Jan 19, 7:28 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 7:28 PM
    The rest of the rumour that is doing the rounds (and the wording is virtually identical to the one last year) is

It is also the cameras on the M25. The cameras are set to 72MPH and the system will autogenerate tickets for all vehicles exceeding this speed.

Did it say where on the M1? As this motorway is nearly 200 miles long and goes through a number of police forces areas.
    • Grey Critic
    • By Grey Critic 10th Jan 19, 7:47 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Grey Critic
    • 10th Jan 19, 7:47 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 7:47 PM
    Operational? No idea but cameras are fitted and working. I did read that in certain circumstances you might get a letter from Plod.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 10th Jan 19, 9:54 PM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:54 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:54 PM
    Just had info from a friend that fixed speed cameras are now in operation on the M1?

Originally posted by motorguy
    Could be the southern M1? There are fixed cameras at Charleville, close to dunleer. The road next to the one on the south bound side is marked with a sort of grid.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Jan 19, 10:07 PM
    • 18,283 Posts
    • 11,185 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 10th Jan 19, 10:07 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 10:07 PM
    Yes the one i heard today was that 73MPH to 90MPH was an automatic fine and points and over 90MPH was an instant ban. Also the cameras were hidden and nobody knew exactly where they were.

Seemed odd as neither of those are thresholds for speeding - its normally something like 80MPH and then over 100MPH for a ban.

Also, if they had them up it would be all over the news as speed cams are supposed to be deterrents and they're not much of a deterrent if nobody knows about them and they're hidden.

So, yes, wholly skeptical but thought i'd pose it on here and see if anyone else had heard anything.

Not that i speed ever so not at all a worry anyway.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Coolhandluke
    • By Coolhandluke 11th Jan 19, 5:45 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    Coolhandluke
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:45 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:45 AM

Are you taking about the M1 in Southern Ireland or Norn Ireland?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Jan 19, 11:13 AM
    • 11,583 Posts
    • 5,160 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 11th Jan 19, 11:13 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 11:13 AM
    Could well be one of the new type of cameras that look like 4 speakers on a pole .
    Camera as in speed and photo evidence using a mobile phone etc .
    Add in the new MAP camera on mways .
    Speed limit the law says above the limit not plus this that or the other .many Chief Constables are actively lowering the margin they allow in their area.

M1 around East Midlands airport you will see the new cameras .
    • tara747
    • By tara747 11th Jan 19, 5:21 PM
    • 10,235 Posts
    • 26,901 Thanks
    tara747
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:21 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:21 PM
    Yes the one i heard today was that 73MPH to 90MPH was an automatic fine and points and over 90MPH was an instant ban. Also the cameras were hidden and nobody knew exactly where they were.

Seemed odd as neither of those are thresholds for speeding - its normally something like 80MPH and then over 100MPH for a ban.

Also, if they had them up it would be all over the news as speed cams are supposed to be deterrents and they're not much of a deterrent if nobody knows about them and they're hidden.

So, yes, wholly skeptical but thought i'd pose it on here and see if anyone else had heard anything.

Not that i speed ever so not at all a worry anyway.

1. Speeding = speeding = breaking the law.
    2. Are the authorities obliged to disclose the presence/location of speed cameras?
    3. As you don't speed, you have no worries in either case.
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £132,000 by 31 Dec 2018! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 11th Jan 19, 5:37 PM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Q2 yes. Because they are obliged to produce collision, casualty, speed and offence information for every fixed site speed camera and have been since 2011

Therefore by definition every fixed site will be known. Normally the relevant speed camera partnership will have the location of every camera site on their website.
    • purplecatlover
    • By purplecatlover 11th Jan 19, 6:10 PM
    • 6,355 Posts
    • 74,239 Thanks
    purplecatlover
    There have been speed cameras on the m1 north and south between Notts and London for ages. All the smart motorway sections have them. They’re often slightly hidden by the variable speed limit light signs that stretch across the road. I’d swear they move them from one sign to a different one every now and then too but that could also be my imagination �� likewise the m25 also has multiple speed cameras fixed to some of the variable speed limit light up signs. I usallh see traffic officers parked up behind walls on there, presumably with portable cameras.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 11th Jan 19, 6:31 PM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    There have been speed cameras on the m1 north and south between Notts and London for ages. All the smart motorway sections have them. They’re often slightly hidden by the variable speed limit light signs that stretch across the road. I’d swear they move them from one sign to a different one every now and then too but that could also be my imagination �� likewise the m25 also has multiple speed cameras fixed to some of the variable speed limit light up signs. I usallh see traffic officers parked up behind walls on there, presumably with portable cameras.
    Originally posted by purplecatlover
    This is yet another M1, and the one least likely to be used routinely by the residents of our dear island home. (The other island.)
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Jan 19, 8:02 PM
    • 18,283 Posts
    • 11,185 Thanks
    motorguy
    Sorry, theres seems to be some confusion here - i posted this on the Northern Ireland board, so not talking about the M1 on the mainland nor the one in the ROI.

Its the one in NI.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 11th Jan 19, 8:07 PM
    • 10,778 Posts
    • 9,655 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    I heard the ones on the M1 have machine guns fitted. If they detect that you are a central lane hogger, you are obliterated.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Jan 19, 8:08 PM
    • 18,283 Posts
    • 11,185 Thanks
    motorguy
    1. Speeding = speeding = breaking the law.
    2. Are the authorities obliged to disclose the presence/location of speed cameras?
    3. As you don't speed, you have no worries in either case.
    Originally posted by tara747
    Not so clear cut :-

1. I didnt say you wouldnt be breaking the law, i was saying you wouldnt get done for it. You can speed and not be done for it. Generally under the basis of the threshold of 10% + 2 MPH from memory. I personally wouldnt trust that, but you can almost with absolute certainty break the speed limit and sit at 72MPH for example with no fear of being done for it. Generally the police wont bother you on the motorway for doing anything up to 80MPH.

2. Yes.

3. Mild passing curiosity led me to ask.
    Last edited by motorguy; 11-01-2019 at 8:17 PM.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 11th Jan 19, 10:11 PM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    I heard the ones on the M1 have machine guns fitted. If they detect that you are a central lane hogger, you are obliterated.
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    We have no middle lane here.
    • Money_Grabber13579
    • By Money_Grabber13579 12th Jan 19, 12:32 AM
    • 2,975 Posts
    • 1,465 Thanks
    Money_Grabber13579
    We have no middle lane here.
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    Yes we do, there is a middle lane on parts of the M1 and M2. And yes, many people don’t know how to use it properly.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382
    • RikM
    • By RikM 12th Jan 19, 9:20 AM
    • 653 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    RikM
    Originally posted by tara747
    Yes...
    So far as I recall, they have to be visible, not hidden (dayglo paint is usually involved), they have to have been signed beforehand (a lot of roads over here have permanent speed camera signs, even though the cameras are mobile/temporary). I can't recall the distance/frequency of the signage, but not having it renders any fines void...

The justification here is that cameras are for safety, not collecting revenue, and it's not safe if someone bombing along spots a camera unexpectedly and jams on the brakes.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Jan 19, 11:16 AM
    • 18,283 Posts
    • 11,185 Thanks
    motorguy
    Yes...
    So far as I recall, they have to be visible, not hidden (dayglo paint is usually involved), they have to have been signed beforehand (a lot of roads over here have permanent speed camera signs, even though the cameras are mobile/temporary). I can't recall the distance/frequency of the signage, but not having it renders any fines void...

The justification here is that cameras are for safety, not collecting revenue, and it's not safe if someone bombing along spots a camera unexpectedly and jams on the brakes.
    Originally posted by RikM
    And thats totally how it should be. And as you say, these are supposed to be able safety not revenue collection.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 12th Jan 19, 6:28 PM
    • 10,778 Posts
    • 9,655 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    I dont agree that cameras should be visible. People should have a good understanding of the law and seek to be compliant. Its really easy to do. Just ensure that your car doesnt exceed the speed limit.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,951Posts Today

5,497Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin