Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,490Posts
    • 19,147Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    .....25/11/2018 ......
    I have decided to update as its been ages since I started this thread and so much has changed including my priorities.....

We gained a puppy after starting this thread and although she is a handful she has given me something to focus on and to get up for each day.

DS split from one long-term gf and is now several months into a new relationship and started a new job and seems very happy.

Sadly DM passed away suddenly this year and I miss her every day. Then DF was seriously ill in hospital with sepsis and almost died but thankfully he found the strength to pull through and is making a full recovery physically. We are supporting one another emotionally as a family.

I started this thread with the focus on saving some money. That hasn't happened and I have ended up with some debt on a 0% credit card but it is being paid off as planned and I am still managing to pay all bills and still have some money to spend with friends. I am planning to start saving for an emergency fund in the new year 2019.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 25-11-2018 at 7:52 AM.
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 1310 1210 1160 1110 1060 998 948 898 848 798

Emergency fund 150/500
Page 60
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Dec 18, 10:33 PM
    • 3,490 Posts
    • 19,147 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hi Kittikins bet you and the knitted Welshman and Dd are looking forward to your first Christmas in your new home together.

Today I got 2 fererro rocher on offer 7 and a Lindt chocolate Santa for DS and Lindt choc teddy for DS gf on offer 2 for 5. I have one more present to buy then I am done. I picked up 2 parcels for DS today. Tomorrow is my work lunch, then 1 more parcel to collect for DS on Thursday as he has no car, then that's it. Tonight I have started wrapping and have finished all DS's stocking fillers. More to do tomorrow... I hate wrapping !
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 18-12-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Emergency fund 150/500
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Dec 18, 5:07 AM
    • 3,490 Posts
    • 19,147 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Busy, busy, busy ! Work lunch was lovely. Roast turkey all the trimmings and chocolate brownie ice cream sundae 9.99 and diet coke 2. Came home and walked the dog, thankfully we got back just before the thunder and downpour ! Did some wrapping. Received 2 voucher from crisp company to apologise for open pack of crisps inside a 6 pack they are 1 for a 6 pack so that's 12 bags replace 1 faulty bag.

Collected another parcel for DS yesterday after work and got his gf a gift voucher. Managed to find free parking. Got a Big Mac & fries for 1.99 on way home got birthday card for my sister. Did more wrapping.

Have lots of little things to do today. Will walk dog after work then meet friend for cheap pub lunch. DS's car in garage today hope they can fix it as they are due to go away tonight with the dog. Trying not to stress and panic !
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 21-12-2018 at 5:14 AM.

Emergency fund 150/500
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Dec 18, 6:48 AM
    • 3,490 Posts
    • 19,147 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Good morning its still dark but I have lots to do before I set off in the car up North.

The dishwasher is on, I've set the timers on the lights and I still have to pack my bag. I filled the car up with petrol yesterday on the way to work.

After work I walked the dog, washed a last few tops to take with me and then met a friend for lunch in the pub. I had hunters chicken wrap with salad, chips and a drink for 6.49 Finally finished the present wrapping and DS went last night with his gf and the dog.

I have paid my credit cards this morning and noticed I went overdrawn by 28 for 24 hours and was charged an arranged overdraft fee of 6 I've just been on my bank website chat and grovelled and they have refunded the 6 as a gesture of good will Every little helps at this time of year !

So, if I don't get to post here again before the new year I want to wish everyone a merry Christmas, have a lovely holiday and see you back here for more moneysaving in 2019 !

Emergency fund 150/500
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 22nd Dec 18, 4:30 PM
    • 5,161 Posts
    • 44,304 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Have a lovely Christmas holiday xx

Yup, we are all VERY excited and happy about Christmas with the kitties. I broke up yesterday and I went for very yummy lunch with colleagues and have already switched off completely!!
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    Moved house with my beloved DD and KW - 29.6.18
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Dec 18, 6:55 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 47,322 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Merry Christmas. I hope everyone has a great day and that Skinty has a safe drive.
    Christmas Fund 88
    Reminder: NO FLEABAY MARCH!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 31st Dec 18, 8:33 AM
    • 3,490 Posts
    • 19,147 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Finally its Payday

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas. Ours was quiet, the first one without DM, but spent together with DF and my sisters family.

I picked up new years food from Tesco half price lamb leg and veg / potatoes 29p each and found a 1 in the car park

DS and his gf get home tonight with the dog. Its been very quiet since I got back yesterday. We are having a Chinese as a treat.

I've checked the credit card and the bill is mahoosive as its Christmas presents and car insurance / petrol but most of it will be covered by xmas fund and annual bills fund once I transfer money around. I want to start and top up my emergency fund but that may have to wait until next month, I will try and work out my SOA for the month later.

DS has asked if his gf can move in after Christmas so they can save for a deposit, so that may be a big change on the horizon. As long as they pay their share of the bills I wont be charging any rent and have said they would have to buy/cook their own food. They are both in the same job but based in different areas on different shift patterns so if they are grown up enough to move in together they are grown up enough to sort their own food budget/cook their own meals.

DF gave me some money for Christmas so I am going to treat myself to some new clothes/shoes/perfume.

So, its almost next year. I will have to have a think about some new year resolutions. I must have eaten my bodyweight in chocolate & biscuits over the last week, which is not good for my health or my waistline so cutting back/out will be on the list along with cutting back on takeaways.

Emergency fund 150/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 31st Dec 18, 9:27 AM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 47,322 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Ive posted this twice and keep losing it. lol.

Happy Nearly New Year Skinty and I hope you had a good Christmas with your father. well done on whoopsie shopping - I think the supermarkets over stocked and we have benefitted. Hurrah.

Don't worry about the waistline, I ate just as many chocs. The first thing my dad said when he heard about my tummy bug was ' How many chocolates did you eat???'

OMG DS will be inviting girlfriend to house. Wow that will be a change. It will mean the house is busy and cheerful. I hope they will contribute to bills in case the utilities go up but it will be good for you to have happy times in the house.

Yay to having money to treat yourself. I hope you get a nice bargain or two.
    Christmas Fund 88
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 31st Dec 18, 6:34 PM
    • 3,490 Posts
    • 19,147 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Have cleaned and hoovered the house ready for the return of the dog also changed the sheets and towels and cleaned the bathroom. Didn't get any washing done today as there was no wind.

I popped to the co-op for cheddar cheese for cheese sauce with dinner tomorrow and they were reducing stuff when I arrived so I got a chilli & rice ready meal down from 2.80 to 70p, 2 steak pies down to 35p each and apple crumble down from 2 to 50p all put in the freezer. Also got a chocolate trifle for tonight down from 2.50 to 62p Healthy eating starts next year

Happy new year everyone !

Emergency fund 150/500
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 2nd Jan 19, 4:28 PM
    • 3,490 Posts
    • 19,147 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    We had a lovely day yesterday. DS and his gf walked the dog while I did a big roast, the leg of lamb was delish and we chilled out and watched tv after.

I ordered some new clothes from george last night, 4 tops, 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of shoes, a new handbag and a jumper, came to 67

DS is back at work today. I walked the dog to the park this morning for a quick run around after her ball, then I dropped his gf home and went shopping. I got a new kettle in lidl for 15.99, it is just a basic boil but all the fancy ones I had looked at online, quick boil / quiet boil were over 20 and had bad reviews So I decided to just get a basic kettle and this one is quite light, sleek looking, easy to fill and quieter than my old one that has started leaking, so I am pleased with it.

I am off work the rest of this week so I am going to go into town tomorrow. I want to get some new sheets for my bed and pillow protectors. I also need to get a new kitchen clock as my old one has stopped working even with a new battery. All will be bought from my Christmas money.

I've just got back from an hour with the dog on the common by the sea and she is now snoring on the sofa My legs are aching, I can tell I didn't do much walking over Christmas

Emergency fund 150/500
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 3rd Jan 19, 1:05 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Leg of lamb sounds delish!! My husband and I went shopping on Boxing day (we went first thing expecting mental crowds but it was all quite calm and civilised) to spend our Xmas money and vouchers as we're terrible for letting vouchers expire. We now have enough books to last us until summer (and I bought two more books online using an Amazon voucher I got!!). Got to love a bit of "free" shopping

Hope the legs feel better soon! I've started RED January - it's organised by the mental health charity Mind and started off being "Run Every Day (RED)" January but over the years has evolved into a "be active every day" January. I'm aiming for a run every day in January - as short and as slow as I need and it can be a walk if absolutely necessary, but I HAVE TO DO IT. I've decided that 2019 is the year I start being more proactive about fighting my little mental health monsters, but 3 days in it's my legs that are feeling it rather than my brain

Edited to Add: And a HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too! Hope you have a wonderful 2019
    MFW 2019 challenge #99: 802.81 / 6,000
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: 802.81 / 30,000
    Save 12k in 2019 challenge #99: 6290 / 12,000
    2019 keep moving challenge: 163.7 / 1000 miles
    Last updated: 23/03/2019
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: Jan 2053
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Jan 19, 7:37 AM
    • 3,490 Posts
    • 19,147 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Good luck with your RED January challenge Pink.

I walked the dog yesterday morning to the local park where she had a run around and put some washing out. Then I went shopping. I got two tops in Peacocks reduced to 5 and a pair of boots in shoe zone 19.99. I got enough food shopping to last the weekend and next week at aldi for around 41 (haven't got the receipt to hand at the moment) and then called off at McD and had a big mac and fries for 1.99.

It was a lovely sunny day and my towels were mostly dried on the line by 3pm, just finished off on airers when the radiators came on in the evening. I walked the dog on the common for an hour but my left hip is now really painful. DS is off work today so he is taking the dog to the country park for a good run around so I don't need to walk her today.

I am meeting friends for "coffee" at cost-a-lot today. I usually have a pot of tea which is 2 cups for 2. It was quite cold out this morning when I let the dog out and as my leg is very sore I will drive there.

I have been thinking about my new year resolutions and so far:

1. look after my health better.
    After losing DM so suddenly I have let thinks slip so I need to get back on track. I am overdue for a diabetes check, another ladies health check is due, and I haven't been to the dentist for over a year.

2. continue to meet up / eat out with friends within budget.
    I will try and stick to my drink & meal for under 10 or use vouchers

3. to do the 52 weeks declutter.
    I will aim to declutter at least 1 thing every week. This weekend I will pack away the Christmas decs and declutter my dressing table top. I think there are at least 5 empty medicine bottles 2 cups and some Christmas presents (shower get etc) that I can see need to be cleared away/ moved to the bathroom cupboard.

4. continue to budget for all my bills, pay off my 0% credit card and build up my emergency fund.
    The two council tax free months (feb and march) will be 280 into my holiday fund to pay for petrol / trips up north throughout the year to see family.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 05-01-2019 at 7:41 AM.

Emergency fund 150/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 5th Jan 19, 7:59 AM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 47,322 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Morning. Lovely resolutions! I hope your hip is getting better. Wrap up warm. It looks so wintry by me!!!!

I think you and Pinky have been v brave - I haven't been out of the house for a week!!!!

Enjoy meeting your friends.
    Christmas Fund 88
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 5th Jan 19, 6:05 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Ha, thanks both! Sorry to hear about your hip, and bless your DS for taking her for you. Fingers crossed it'll be less painful tomorrow! And SW - in fairness, you've had a pretty solid excuse for going into hibernation-mode. I'm glad you're up and running again now!

Aren't lady-checks the worst Fortunately I'm too young for the upstairs checks yet, but the downstairs ones aren't much fun either!! Do you use Tesco Clubcard much? That's how we tend to "pay" for our meals out: you get 3 x value of your clubcard points. However, since you can no longer have TCB payments paid out as Clubcard points, we're starting to run a little low in terms of points for meals out

Your resolutions sounds fab, I'd love to join you on your decluttering mission - I keep seeing them online and wanting to sign up but can never muster the motivation to actually follow through for some reason!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 6th Jan 19, 8:19 AM
    • 3,490 Posts
    • 19,147 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    .. bless your DS for taking her for you.
    Originally posted by pinknsparkly

Its actually his dog ! However due to his work / study commitments I have ended up looking after her / walking her a lot! I don't mind as she has given me something to focus on and it makes me exercise !

I enjoyed meeting up with friends yesterday, although tea in cost-a-lot has gone up to 2.10 from 2. We had a wander round the shops afterwards and the only thing I bought was a toy for the dog 3.99

All food was from stores, we had the steak pies bought in co-op last week reduced to 35p for dinner with oven chips, mushy peas and gravy and the apple crumble reduced to 50p with the last of the double cream. We've used up all the christmas leftovers. The lamb made 3 further meals but has now all gone.

I've had a renewal through for my breakdown cover and have found a cheaper quote online, so I will sort that out later today. Funds will be used from the bills account. I will pack away the Christmas decs today and hoover up. Back to work tomorrow.

Emergency fund 150/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 6th Jan 19, 4:49 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 47,322 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on lovely food and meeting up with friends. Have a good night.
    Christmas Fund 88
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 6th Jan 19, 11:01 PM
    • 3,490 Posts
    • 19,147 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I walked the dog to the park this morning and thankfully the pain in my hip has gone

DS was home so we had sausage sandwiches with cheesy rolls from aldi which were yummy.

Week 1 declutter: I packed away the Christmas decs and hoovered. Also cleared my bedside table it's amazing how much junk had accumulated ! I am working my way up to the dressing table

I had a kebab delivered for dinner using some Christmas money. Cubes of chicken and lamb not the donner stuff, lots of fresh crispy salad and fries and a can of drink using a 15% off voucher on their own website instead of just eat cost 8.50

Off to bed now as up at 5am for work. Have been asleep on sofa since 9pm

Emergency fund 150/500
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 7th Jan 19, 9:08 PM
    • 3,418 Posts
    • 9,164 Thanks
    tori.k
    Glad your feeling better, I do like cheese topped rolls not tried the aldi ones surprisingly so will have to remedy that swiftly, I just like cheese and bread in any form to the point that its pretty much a least one of my meals a day if im honest.

Have you booked your diabetes appointment?
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Mortgage Free (stage 3) 134,157
    GC 3227.86
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 8th Jan 19, 3:27 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Glad you're back in good health!

And oooooooh, kebab! We've got an INCREDIBLE greek takeaway near us who do various kebabs (with the chunks of meat) - left to my own devices, it would be the only takeaway I'd EVER order. Sadly, I have to take my husbands wishes into consideration (occasionally at least!)

Sounds like the decluttering is going well - I still have my christmas trees up. Somehow taking them down always feels like giving into cold and dark January! But I really do need to take them down soon before I get too used to them and they stay up all year
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 9th Jan 19, 11:04 PM
    • 3,490 Posts
    • 19,147 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Have you booked your diabetes appointment?
    Originally posted by tori.k
    ...er no but I've booked a hair appointment

Seriously though I have booked one health appointment so its a start. I've also had an appointment to go for a mammogram... in the supermarket car park on a Saturday afternoon ! Will be changing that as I can't think of anything worse than trying to battle into a supermarket car park on a Saturday afternoon I've also had a letter this week from the optician to say I have not been for 3 years eek...

So that's:
    voice therapy appointment - booked
    ENT hospital follow up - booked
    Dr appointment - booked
    hair appointment - booked

Still to book:
    Diabetes check
    mammogram
    eye test
    dentist

I went to card factory today to get my dad a card for his birthday and they had a sale on I got 2 boxes of Christmas cards with 75% off cost 25p each and a 3 roll pack of foil wrapping paper with 75% off cost 50p. Also the birthday card was 50% off cost 49p. Total spend 1.49 amount saved 3.47 T

Had an email from energy club to say my energy switch cashback has been paid 25
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 09-01-2019 at 11:31 PM.

Emergency fund 150/500
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 11th Jan 19, 9:51 AM
    • 3,418 Posts
    • 9,164 Thanks
    tori.k
    My husband try's to delay his bloods in January, I think most people do so you may as well book the appointment and get it over with, or that's what they will think your doing
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Mortgage Free (stage 3) 134,157
    GC 3227.86
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,467Users online

Martin's Twitter