Commercial lease - what happens with rent review if the lease just rolls over?

I wonder if there are any solicitors out there with experience of commercial leases? My friend has asked me to look at a lease for him but I am unsure of the answer to his question. It is a fixed term lease which finishes at the end of this year and contains the procedure for two rent reviews to take place on two set dates during the term of the lease. The lease contains no provisions as to what governs the lease if it just rolls over and my friend just keeps paying the rent. The landlord has not responded to any of his communications over the last few months. As far as I can see the lease doesn’t contain anything that talks about the next rent review period if the lease rolls over. Does anyone know what would then govern the rent review period going forward? Is there any implied law in this situation? What are the pitfalls he should be aware of in this regard if he does just let it roll? Please can somone point me in the right direction of anything to read on this. Thanks very much.

Comments

• Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    fairy2 wrote: »
    I wonder if there are any solicitors out there with experience of commercial leases? My friend has asked me to look at a lease for him but I am unsure of the answer to his question. It is a fixed term lease which finishes at the end of this year and contains the procedure for two rent reviews to take place on two set dates during the term of the lease. The lease contains no provisions as to what governs the lease if it just rolls over and my friend just keeps paying the rent. The landlord has not responded to any of his communications over the last few months. As far as I can see the lease doesn’t contain anything that talks about the next rent review period if the lease rolls over. Does anyone know what would then govern the rent review period going forward? Is there any implied law in this situation? What are the pitfalls he should be aware of in this regard if he does just let it roll? Please can somone point me in the right direction of anything to read on this. Thanks very much.

Your friend should seek independant legal advice asap
    (as anyone should who embarks on a commercial lease)

But this gov.uk webpage seems to concur what I suspected would be the situation
    A fixed-term tenancy means the lease automatically comes to an end when the term is up.
    https://www.gov.uk/terminating-a-commercial-property-lease-early
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport