How I Got Myself Debt-Free - Freebird's Journey

Comments

• freebird65 wrote:
    Further to a few requests, I thought I'd do a write-up on how I got to the point of my debt-free announcement at 8.23am this morning!

My story started some years ago in the City where I worked. It's very much a culture of conspicuous consumption and it's very easy to get sucked into it. I earnt fantastic money, the social life was an endless whirl and yes, I loved it. You have to look the part too and be seen at all the right "do's". Then there's the breakfast's at Starbucks, lunch at Pret a Manger or some little cafe......oh and while we're out let's just pop into the shops.....oh look at that darling little must-have handbag....drinks tonight at China White & taxi home? (at least £100+)....no problem.....£400 a month in Tescos on food and drinks for entertaining etc....yeah and? Then one day you wake up and realise how fake it all is......the thought of going to yet another do made me feel ill.....what for?? I just wanted to sleep!!

I had loans totalling £25,000, a £4,000 overdraft facility (maxed!), credit card balances of around £40,000 and a couple of large HP agreements - oh and a wardrobe full of designer clothes and swanky handbags. It was becoming very tight every month to try and control....and I'm good with figures! So I had a good long think and decided the City had to go - I wanted a fresh start away from the temptation - something real. I put my house on the market and handed in my notice. My shocked colleagues thought I was mad and tried to talk me out of it. I downsized to a smaller place, cut my mortgage by £50,000 and used the leftover to pay chunks off my most expensive debt.

I was left with £6,000 on a loan, a £3,500 overdraft and about £5,000 on credit cards. About this time I discovered MSE - I don't remember how, but I was instantly hooked. I trawled the boards, got excited over deals and freebies and haunted the forums. Reading the debt-free board made me realise that I really had to knuckle down and do some serious surgery....as a shocked friend pointed out when we went shopping "My god, you're still shopping as if you're earning £50K a year".

Now I'm not going to pretend that any of it came easily - it was bloody tough and at times I thought I had the most awful life ever and that it was never going to get better. I thought the "sacrifices" were just too much to ask and how could I possibly live without all my "essentials"?

I went through my Tesco shop and cut out things like my fave smoked salmon and £12 bottle of wine. I can hear all the mothers out there screaming with horror at how I lived, but you have to remember that I was a single girl with money to burn, living in an environment where it was "normal". I started making most things from scratch, I looked out for deals, and switched to own brands. The difference meant I suddenly had an extra £300 a month to throw at my debt. Straight at that overdraft! I also switched my overdraft to a low cost one and my credit cards to 0% ones.

I opened an ebay account and started selling off my designer stuff - I no longer had anywhere to wear them as I also now only went out with my local friends and who cares about Jimmy Choos and Prada in your local pub! The money I raised over the next 9 months or so paid off my loan.

Next holidays - instead of 5 I had 1 and hunted around on the internet for a flight deal, booked the accommodation myself (B&B not 5 star!) and used the clothes I had instead of buying new. And I went camping......in the UK. My friends thought that was hilarious, but I loved it - in fact, I'm off again next weekend. I never knew there were so many beautiful parts of England!

Clothes? None....I had so much already and no longer had to keep up with my colleagues. Now I've discovered the likes of Primark which is just heaven! Who cares if those shades were £200 or £2 as long as they do the job? You can look stylish without spending a fortune! I stopped buying all those magazines that make you feel you have to in order to be someone special.....it's what we are inside that make us special, and NOT how much we spend "decorating" ourselves!

I ditched Sky (have never missed it), sold my car which was a bit easy as I now use OH's (who I was lucky enough to meet 16 months ago), went through all my utility bills to see where I could save. Actually I became a bit obsessed. I've spent hours on the boards checking for useful tips. Every time I go out and want to buy something, I stop and ask myself if I really need the item, or just want it. If it's just want, it goes back on the shelf! Every bit saved became a brilliant victory and just spurred me on even more. It did get to the point were I was "Do we have to go out? That's £10/20 I could save and there's a good film on". I also joined my mates in market research groups - much better paid than mystery shopping and makes me about £500-£700 a year! I joined Greasypalm and religiously check the site before I buy anything online and use every cashback opportunity going - that's made about £300 in the last year.

I get asked if I miss the City and the lifestyle. Well, do you think a single one of those so-called "friends" has ever been in touch since I left? Asked how I was? Invited me round like I had them so many times? Nope. Would I go back? I think you know the answer.

As soon as the cards were paid off I ditched all bar two and these I promptly used for stoozing - thank you MSE for teaching me that fab little trick! I also cut them up immediately after so I couldn't accidentally use them and then get killed with interest charges. The stooze pot went into a high interest savings accounts which I didn't touch. When the time came, I paid the money back and was left with the interest.....which at 8.23 this morning, I used to ring the last company and say "I'd like to pay the full balance please".

And there my little tale ends. It was by no means as bad as some I've read on here and in many ways I've been very lucky. But we all have our own roads to travel and and it's how we get to our destinations that really counts.

Thank you for listening to my ramble and being there for me and for each other. I'm feeling quite emotional now and think I might cry.

Be lucky xx

threadbanner.gif
    Well done freebird. Can I ask how to get into the market research thing you mentioned please?

Thanks
    :):):):):):):j:):):):):):)
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Very impressed!
    Well done freebird! You are an inspiration to all, and proof that it CAN be done! So for all those people moaning about their debts, and "how can we get out of it?" READ THIS and do it!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• Many congratulations on getting rid of your debts, but perhaps a bigger pat on the back for having the strength and courage to reject what must have been a very addictive way of living. It's stories like this that keep me hooked to this board. Thanks again for sharing.
  • jamescredmond
    jamescredmond Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    this is one of the best posts I've ever read. congratulations!
    who was it that came up with the equation 'look what I've got. look how much I earn, look at me living the dream = quality of life' and tried to get us all to believe it?

as for your 'friends' - they deserve our sympathy. seriously. they will probably never benefit from a lbm such as yours and lurch from restaurant to shop to debt for years to come without ever asking the obvious: 'am I happy?'

an excellent post.
    miladdo
  • Lola23
    Lola23 Posts: 1,650 Forumite
    Bake Off Boss!
    Well Done You!!!!!!!!!!!!! :j

This is a nice thing to read and very inspirational.

Since coming on this great site it does make you think twice before you buy things.

Thank You for a good read and inspiration to us all.

:T
    :hello: Never say Never :smileyhea
  • SAP_Saver
    SAP_Saver Posts: 186 Forumite
    Well done! This is an inspiration for all those fools on SPENDAHOLICS!!!

Deepest Debt - £13,000+
    Debt Now - £0
  • Well done Freebird, that is so inspirational!! x
  • .....So i get out of bed this morning on the wrong side. Sat in front of the TV for half an hour willing myself to get up and go to work. Finally get here and am having a hellish day, 'sick of all this moneysaving' I was thinking to myself 'it's never going to get me anywhere' then I open up my email and there is my tips from Martin sitting in my inbox. Having a read through it and came accross a link to this thread. I read through the story and i have cheered up so much! You have put the life back into me on what would've been a bad day.
    Thank you and you should be so proud of yourself, not just for what you have achieved but that you have cheered up and motivated a bunch of people you've never met before! Thank you so much for sharing your story and I cannot wait to share mine once I have achieved DF status :)
    Was debt free... then went travelling!
  • anniewoo
    anniewoo Posts: 469 Forumite
    Congratulations,Freebird.What a wonderful post,you are an inspiration.

My debts are small compared to what yours were,but I am definitely going to adopt your trick of saying "do I need it or do I just want it "
    You sound really happy with your new life and long may you continue to be.
  • freebird65
    freebird65 Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OMG....was sitting here clicking through the links on Martin's email and suddenly there was my ramble staring me in the face!
    :eek:

Am very shocked and feeling mighty humbled right now. There are so many amazing poeple on the boards who do so much for their fellow posters and they are the ones I expect to see pop up - not some daft City bird who got herself in a mess by flinging too much money around. I never considered my tale to be inspirational, but am delighted if it's given just one person a bit of hope that there CAN be an end to it all.

Keep at it MSE'rs - you can and WILL get there!

Thank you for all your good wishes and comments - it's highly appreciated and I intend to keep lurking on these boards to try and help others in return.

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport