Giving up work help

Options
rockdude82
rockdude82 Posts: 12 Forumite
edited 5 November 2018 at 11:23AM in Disability money matters
Hi we have a new born baby my partners on maternity leave and I work full time 48 hour week shift work.

It’s got to the point where I know Im going to have to leave my job been there 16 years started at age of 21.

My partner has a disability and recieves middle rate care and higher disability living Allowance and is not coping with the baby at home alone struggles with mobility I work long shifts out the house 14hours a day or night with travelling and when come home Im not getting any I’m sleep not coping myself as I need to help my partner doing the feeds at night as she struggles with walking.

If I was to give up my job at get a part time job how do I find out what benefits we could claim I’m afraid of not being able to make mortgage repayments and bills i just know we can’t go on like this will have a breakdown soon.

I don’t like asking about benefits but really feel I need some kind of help

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you resign then most benefits are not available to you for some time.

Can you get carer's allowance ?
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you discuss the shift patten/doing less hours with your employer? If that's a possibility, put some figures through entitled to or turn2us - there may be possibilities such as working tax credit.

Have you looked into making a flexible working request due to your personal commitments?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Having a new born baby is always a difficult time but things are likely to settle down after a time.

Hence I am wondering if Shared parental leave might be a better option for you (I am presuming that your partner will return to work)

Have a look at this link and see if this may be a better option than resigning from your job.

https://www.gov.uk/shared-parental-leave-and-pay
  • rockdude82
    Options
    My work won’t be flexible with my hours I tried to ask if I could reduce them but no luck. With regards to shared parental leave she will go back to work and wants to go back to work And I could take the remainder of time off but when I would need to go back we will be back in the same situation, I feel my partner needs me at home more it was a struggle before we had the baby
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So are you saying that you want to become the stay at home dad when your partner goes back to work? Do you intend to use childcare/nursery for the baby when your wife goes back to work?

Sorry for all the questions but I can't quite understand what you want to achieve?

What pay is your partner receiving at the moment? Statutory maternity pay or contractual maternity pay? How many hours will she be working when she returns to work? And how much will she earn?

To be honest this could be very complicated so I suggest you visit CAB and ask them to do various different scenarios - you giving up work and claiming Carer's allowance (which you would be eligible for) and working part time - less than 16 hrs and not earning over the limit for Carer's allowance and then your wife going back to work and you continuing as a stay at home dad/child going to nursery etc.

You need to have a chat with your partner about how you are going to manage in the future especially as she has disability problems. She may not be able to continue with her job if it is full time?

You may be eligible for tax credits or if your area is a full service universal credit area then you would have to apply for Universal Credit.

I cannot see, at the moment, that there wold be any help with your mortgage costs so you have to consider this.

Have you any family that can help out with child care?
  • rockdude82
    Options
    I’m Thinking of getting a part time job my partner works 30 hours a week when she goes back and that’s what she wants to do I can’t convince her to drop her hours as she loves her job and feels it would be better and easier for her if I dropped my hours instead, also her job is very good with her disability and adjusting her hours to her needs
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rockdude82 wrote: »
    I’m Thinking of getting a part time job my partner works 30 hours a week when she goes back and that’s what she wants to do I can’t convince her to drop her hours as she loves her job and feels it would be better and easier for her if I dropped my hours instead, also her job is very good with her disability and adjusting her hours to her needs

Which of you earns the most, because of you have a mortgage to pay that has to be part of the decision making process as well.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Can you not arrange things so everything is at hand for night feeds.

I had the cot at the end of the bed. The bottle was in a warmer at the side pf the bed ready to be plugged in when the baby woke.

Nappies etc were also there so feeding and changing did not require much walking . Only getting to the end of the bed.

Similarly, during the day have everything handy.

A new baby requires a lot of adjustment for both parents. You need to arrange things to suit your needs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure