Faulty PC

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Still no reply to my email of 7 May! Maybe time for a social media rant.
    Try phoning them and explain to them that under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 they are only entitled to a single attempt at a repair after which they must provide a refund (or replacement should you wish).
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I paid by credit card.

There was a document on the box the first time saying what they'd replaced but not sure what it said now. I still have the box so I can check if they've advised what they replaced this time.

Contact your card company and start a section 75 claim - make sure the bank do a section 75 and not a chargeback (ask them to make sure if you have any doubts).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • nhoneymonster
    nhoneymonster Posts: 165 Forumite
    After posting on Facebook they are dealing with it as a complaint, but have now offered to send an engineer rather than me having to send it to the service centre. Do they not get that I don't want another repair? I've quoted the Consumer Rights Act but they still seem to be insisting on a third repair attempt, although I am entitled to a refund after one failed attempt! Maybe they are trying to wait out the six months that I have to request a refund.
  • unholyangel
    After posting on Facebook they are dealing with it as a complaint, but have now offered to send an engineer rather than me having to send it to the service centre. Do they not get that I don't want another repair? I've quoted the Consumer Rights Act but they still seem to be insisting on a third repair attempt, although I am entitled to a refund after one failed attempt! Maybe they are trying to wait out the six months that I have to request a refund.

You don't have 6 months to request a refund. There are 3 ways you can be entitled to a refund.

One is the short term right to reject - you have this right for 30 days from purchase.
    Another is a price reduction - where you keep the goods for a reduced price.
    The last (which we're referring to here) is the final right to reject. There is no time limit on the final right to reject. You have this right if:
    1) after one attempt at either a repair or replacement, the goods still fail to conform to contract
    2) If the retailer is unable to either repair or replace within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience.

The CRA also states that if you exercise the final right to reject in the first 6 months (not if the retailer actually refunds you within the first 6 months) that no reduction can be made.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • nhoneymonster
    Thanks. The advice I read stated that it's easier within the first six months as they would have to prove the fault wasn't there to begin with, that's where I got the time frame from. Good to know there is no time limit though.

I have replied to them again stating that I want a refund and also contacted CAB. Section 75 claim may be the next step if I don't get anywhere.
  • unholyangel
    Thanks. The advice I read stated that it's easier within the first six months as they would have to prove the fault wasn't there to begin with, that's where I got the time frame from. Good to know there is no time limit though.

I have replied to them again stating that I want a refund and also contacted CAB. Section 75 claim may be the next step if I don't get anywhere.

It is easier in the first 6 months as any lack of conformity that becomes apparent in the first 6 months is presumed inherent and its for the retailer to prove otherwise. But it goes by the date you reported it. If you've done this via email or social media then you should have no problem proving you reported the fault in the first 6 months if its ever called into question later down the line.
  • nhoneymonster
    When I first contacted them it was via chat and they didn't send me a transcript although I requested it. I made sure subsequent contact was in writing!
  • nhoneymonster
    Despite quoting the Consumer Rights Act and requesting a refund they are insistent that there has to be another repair attempt, although there have already been two. Maybe I'll have to do a Section 75 as I don't seem to be getting anywhere with them. Initially I would have been happy with an exchange, but if this is how they deal with faulty items I just want a refund!
  • nhoneymonster
    They have now come back saying that although it was bought from Lenovo's online store it is actually Digital River who are the retailer and Lenovo are just the manufacturers. Could they not have mentioned this before? It was bought from the Lenovo online shop and emails regarding the order were addressed from Lenovo. Not unreasonable to think I had bought directly from the manufacturer!

Have now contacted Digital River to see what they say.
  • Greta_Sharbo
    Greta_Sharbo Posts: 349 Forumite
    There is nothing to stop you starting a Section 75 claim whilst communicating with the trader. Might save a bit of time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure