Faulty PC

Hope someone can offer advice.

In January I bought a new PC directly from the manufacturer, within a couple of weeks of using it I noticed it was intermittently restarting for no reason. After contacting support and the troubleshooting suggestions not working they arranged a repair. Around a week after getting it back the same issue occurred. I contacted support and was told they could only offer another repair at this point. It was sent back for repair again, but shortly after getting it back the same problem occurred again. I have contacted support and said I do not want to have to send it back for a further repair, but they've said that's the avenue of support they can offer at the moment. Do I have to accept this? This would be the third repair within three months for the same issue which has been occurring since shortly after purchase. Surely they have to offer a refund or exchange at some point?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Which manufacturer? A brand new or graded or reburb unit?

System updates?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    After one failed repair, you, as a consumer, can seek a refund from the seller.

During the first six months following the sale, that must be a full refund.

Also during that same six months any fault can be assumed to have been present at the time of the sale and it is for the seller to prove otherwise.
  • nhoneymonster
    nhoneymonster Posts: 165 Forumite
    Which manufacturer? A brand new or graded or reburb unit?

System updates?

It was bought brand new directly from Lenovo. I haven't done any updates other than the usual windows updates. The restarting doesn't seem to relate to updates either as it just happens without warning, sometimes when you are in the middle of something!
  • nhoneymonster
    KeithP wrote: »
    After one failed repair, you, as a consumer, can seek a refund from the seller.

During the first six months following the sale, that must be a full refund.

Also during that same six months any fault can be assumed to have been present at the time of the sale and it is for the seller to prove otherwise.

Thanks for the info. When they offered the second repair I said I wasn't really happy with that, the customer services rep tried to escalate to find a better solution but said that's all they could offer. When I reported it this time I said I didn't want to return it a third time but they still only offered a repair. I have replied and said it's not reasonable to ask me to return it again and I want a replacement or refund. Will see how they reply!
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What parts, if any, have they replaced?
  • nhoneymonster
    They replaced a part each time but not sure what. The last repair they said they identified a failing component.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    How did you pay ?

You could ask what they have replaced.
  • nhoneymonster
    I paid by credit card.

There was a document on the box the first time saying what they'd replaced but not sure what it said now. I still have the box so I can check if they've advised what they replaced this time.
  • nhoneymonster
    Still no reply to my email of 7 May! Maybe time for a social media rant.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    The Consumer Rights Act gives them only one chance at a repair.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure