Loft insulation and flooring costs

2»

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I hope to get my loft joists strengthened and boarded out; with a will to do further work myself.
    Money is an issue, I dont want to waste it. Because it could be another room which hardly gets used, or it could be a valuable asset.
    Moving the boiler and installing a staircase maybe £1,000 each; might never happen, lol

Would you mind saying what professionals you hired to assess the job? Did you get it inspected by a structural engineer? Or "just" a builder?

I'm asking because I want to board out at least part of the attic space in my new house but have read a couple of recent threads where the issue of joist strength has been raised.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    dunroving wrote: »
    Would you mind saying what professionals you hired to assess the job? Did you get it inspected by a structural engineer? Or "just" a builder?

I'm asking because I want to board out at least part of the attic space in my new house but have read a couple of recent threads where the issue of joist strength has been raised.

Structural Engineer is the only safe, guaranteed way forward, but the reality is almost no consumers would go down this route.

A competent builder could sort matters. But here there is a problem. What is the definition of a builder? Here there is no answer. Anybody can be a builder, even if their career until yesterday was cutting grass for the local council. Then come onto competence. How would you as a consumer judge this? Which means the concept of a competent builder is not easy for the vast majority of consumers.

Overloading roofs is a huge problem and a real problem. It is also getting worse. But this has to be coupled with the ventilation and insulation which most consumers do not focus on. Here you will note that your post mentions neither item. To give an example, I viewed a home that had remained unsold for six months because the roof was defective as a result of a diy loft boarding exercise. Even the Esatate Agent was warning people about this home - word had gone round!
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Furts wrote: »
    Structural Engineer is the only safe, guaranteed way forward, but the reality is almost no consumers would go down this route.

A competent builder could sort matters. But here there is a problem. What is the definition of a builder? Here there is no answer. Anybody can be a builder, even if their career until yesterday was cutting grass for the local council. Then come onto competence. How would you as a consumer judge this? Which means the concept of a competent builder is not easy for the vast majority of consumers.

Overloading roofs is a huge problem and a real problem. It is also getting worse. But this has to be coupled with the ventilation and insulation which most consumers do not focus on. Here you will note that your post mentions neither item. To give an example, I viewed a home that had remained unsold for six months because the roof was defective as a result of a diy loft boarding exercise. Even the Esatate Agent was warning people about this home - word had gone round!

Both ventilation and insulation are definitely on my radar (both were mentioned by the surveyor). Also, from the recent threads I did take away the importance of employing a structural engineer. As I plan to also build a garage-come-mancave-come-utility area, I figure getting a SE in for the roof space will allow me to try out the people who have been recommended on a smaller project first.

I must admit that from seeing so many "lofts" (I call them attics) over the years that have been boarded, converted, etc., I had almost assumed that all attics were floor-able, so to speak. Reading threads on here, especially by people like yourself and Doozergirl, has been an education.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    dunroving wrote: »
    I must admit that from seeing so many "lofts" (I call them attics) over the years that have been boarded, converted, etc., I had almost assumed that all attics were floor-able, so to speak. Reading threads on here, especially by people like yourself and Doozergirl, has been an education.

My sisters husband boarded out the loft in their bungalow, no issues. Its easy to search the different threads on here. But most houses will be different, so professional advice is always the best way to go.
    I understand metal joists that bolt together are what may be used; getting a piece of wood into the loft long enough to is impossible.

I have a company van that parks just up the road from me, Yorkshire Loft Solutions, should make getting a quote easy.
  • Furts
    My sisters husband boarded out the loft in their bungalow, no issues. Its easy to search the different threads on here. But most houses will be different, so professional advice is always the best way to go.
    I understand metal joists that bolt together are what may be used; getting a piece of wood into the loft long enough to is impossible.

I have a company van that parks just up the road from me, Yorkshire Loft Solutions, should make getting a quote easy.

Yorkshire Loft Conversions proudly show their loft room for "ocassional use". This in itself sets alarm bells ringing. It is typical sales spin given out by dodgy companies as a way of misleading people, and a way of evading Regulations. Buyer Beware as ever here and there are many companies out there ever so eager to con consumers.

I am not commenting on the photos - a cursory glance is enough to immediately flag up concerns, so enough said. But I will make one statement. Based on these observations there is no way I would recommend Yorkshire Loft Conversions to my worst enemy.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Buyer Beware as ever here and there are many companies out there ever so eager to con consumers.

Which is why people come on forums like this, so they can understand what they need. Can they make do with the cheap option, or perhaps its not viable at all.
  • Furts
    Which is why people come on forums like this, so they can understand what they need. Can they make do with the cheap option, or perhaps its not viable at all.

Yes agreed, but there is an old saying "buy cheap, pay twice". Buying cheap does not mean a proper job. I am sure people such as Doozergirl write on this forum thinking consumers can gain knowledge from those with knowledge, and then make informed decisions. In effect offering education by way of a social conscience.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There is no simple few words answer here.

And if there was, would you be the man to deliver it? ;)
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,565
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    LandyAndy wrote: »

Spot on.....................
    :D:D:D
  • Furts
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Spot on.....................
    :D:D:D

Come along now trolls, behave please, and pay attention ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure