DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    DMP_Tiger wrote: »
    Hi all, after reading through a lot of this thread a DMP doesn't seem so bad after all. I have £32k of unsecured debt which I had been on top of until recently (no missed payments).

1) Obviously my credit file will be wrecked for 6 years but will that affect mobile phone contracts and insurance renewals if I pay monthly?

2) My parents sometimes give me cash gifts of a few hundred pounds, do I have to tell Stepchange if that happens or can I save them up over 2 or 3 years towards a full and final settlement?

3) I receive a regular monthly payment of £280 from an investment policy, do I have to tell Stepchange about that or can I spend it on nice things instead? I can't cash in the investment because it's in my father's name and only comes to me on his death.

4) The debts are all in my name so is it just me that has the DMP or does it have to be joint with my wife? She currently has no income so can't help the repayments in any way.

5) Is it best to go with Stepchange or Self manage?

Thank you :)

Hi,

(1) Wont affect insurances at all, if you stay with the same mobile network provider, upgrades are not credit checked.

(2) DMP is not a regulated agreement, you can do what you like.

(3) Again, its not a regulated agreement, but would help in reducing your debts, again, its your choice.

(4) Your debts, just you are liable.

(5) If you need your hand holding, go with stepchange, if you don't, go self manged, each option is equally easy, but you have more freedom with the latter.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Weakmoments
    Weakmoments Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Thank you sourcrates the latest letter re request for information section 77-79 of CCA 1974. We have enclosed copy documents as requested please contact us within 10 days
    Do they not have to tell you it has become enforceable??
    Sorry if I!!!8217;m being a pain
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 May 2018 at 9:33AM
    Hello to my fellow DMP Supporters... I hope everyone manages to enjoy a little bit of sunshine this weekend.

I've just had a phone call the PRA group and for those of you who are familiar with my story, will recall that they've confirmed my accounts are UE. So, I could have ignored/blocked the call but I was feeling a little bit mischievous this morning so I answered :D

The call goes like this...

Mr PRA. Hello, am I speaking to Mrs xxx
    Me: Yes
    Mr PRA. I'm calling from the PRA Group and need to inform you that the call may be monitored for training purposes
    Me: Okay
    Mr PRA. So firstly can you confirm your DOB
    Me. No
    Mr PRA. Can I ask why you do not want to confirm your DOB
    Me. Because I don't
    Mr PRA. Well I need to complete some security checks and need to confirm I'm speaking to Mrs xxx
    Me: You called me on my mobile and I've confirmed it's me already
    Mr PRA. Okay, well can you confirm your name
    Me. Mrs xxx
    Mr PRA. And can you confirm your address and postcode
    Me. This is my address and postcode
    Mr PRA. Okay, thanks, so can you confirm your DOB
    Me. No
    Mr PRA. But I need you to confirm that so I can advise what the call is about and we already have it on file.
    Me. Then you don't need me to tell you.
    Mr PRA. Well then all I can say is its about a Barclays matter
    Me. Well I know that and to save what may end up being a pointless conversation... I know I have a Barclays debt outstanding and that you own it. I also know its UE because you've written to tell me so. And, as I've told you I will therefore be prioritising those that are enforceable and therefore not paying you. So, shall we call it a day.
    Mr PRA. Erm, but we can continue to contact you.
    Me. I know. Goodbye. Ends call.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but just felt the need to share :rotfl:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,091 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 May 2018 at 11:33AM
    Quick question .....Wrote to Link in January requesting CCA...heard nothing at all from them so stopped paying. They have now written saying if we do not pay the outstanding amounts immediately, they will cancel our DMP and we will have to pay the full amount.

As they have not sent required paperwork, surely this is now UE....so what would you do??
    Pay the outstanding instalments?
    Ignore the letter?
    Write again and let them know we are still waiting for relevant paperwork?
    Thanks as always guys

Should add that we did actually write again in March to tell them we were stopping payments and again they did not reply
  • System
    Suseka97 wrote: »
    Hello to my fellow DMP Supporters... I hope everyone manages to enjoy a little bit of sunshine this weekend.

I've just had a phone call the PRA group and for those of you who are familiar with my story, will recall that they've confirmed my accounts are UE. So, I could have ignored/blocked the call but I was feeling a little bit mischievous this morning so I answered :D

The call goes like this...

Mr PRA. Hello, am I speaking to Mrs xxx
    Me: Yes
    Mr PRA. I'm calling from the PRA Group and need to inform you that the call may be monitored for training purposes
    Me: Okay
    Mr PRA. So firstly can you confirm your DOB
    Me. No
    Mr PRA. Can I ask why you do not want to confirm your DOB
    Me. Because I don't
    Mr PRA. Well I need to complete some security checks and need to confirm I'm speaking to Mrs xxx
    Me: You called me on my mobile and I've confirmed it's me already
    Mr PRA. Okay, well can you confirm your name
    Me. Mrs xxx
    Mr PRA. And can you confirm your address and postcode
    Me. This is my address and postcode
    Mr PRA. Okay, thanks, so can you confirm your DOB
    Me. No
    Mr PRA. But I need you to confirm that so I can advise what the call is about and we already have it on file.
    Me. Then you don't need me to tell you.
    Mr PRA. Well then all I can say is its about a Barclays matter
    Me. Well I know that and to save what may end up being a pointless conversation... I know I have a Barclays debt outstanding and that you own it. I also know its UE because you've written to tell me so. And, as I've told you I will therefore be prioritising those that are enforceable and therefore not paying you. So, shall we call it a day.
    Mr PRA. Erm, but we can continue to contact you.
    Me. I know. Goodbye. Ends call.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but just felt the need to share :rotfl:

Brilliant!:rotfl:
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Quick question .....Wrote to Link in January requesting CCA...heard nothing at all from them so stopped paying. They have now written saying if we do not pay the outstanding amounts immediately, they will cancel our DMP and we will have to pay the full amount.

As they have not sent required paperwork, surely this is now UE....so what would you do??
    Ignore the letter?
    Thanks as always guys

Should add that we did actually write again in March to tell them we were stopping payments and again they did not reply

Sometimes these companies just do not play ball.

Its up to you what you choose to do.

All i would advise you is that if Link ever start a claim against you, you will have a defense to throw at them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • System
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Sometimes these companies just do not play ball.

Its up to you what you choose to do.

All i would advise you is that if Link ever start a claim against you, you will have a defense to throw at them.

Thanks Sourcrates...I think I may just resend the letter we sent in March, that told them we were ceasing payments and also mentioned that we had initially written in January. Will just add another quick note, saying "as you can see from previous letter...etc etc".
    All they have to do is send the paperwork and if it is showing that it is enforceable then we are happy to start paying again. Original debt was with BC, so not sure how good they are at keeping records....there is 3 accounts in total and all many years old.
  • selinek
    selinek Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ploppy57 wrote: »

Ignore the letter?

Thanks as always guys

I have 3 accts with Link too. They have not complied with my CCA request I sent in in August 2017. They sent very similar letter which I have ignored. I know they have received request as they have applied the £1 fee to the outstanding debts , cheeky so so's :p. Until they come up with a compliant agreements then they will be getting nothing from me. I remember a couple of people on here had done the same thing with Link .
  • Just_Afloat
    Just_Afloat Posts: 10 Forumite
    Sourcrates/January, I have just lost my job, last time i was unemployed i was 40 and found no problem getting a new post but now, at 54, i think it will be impossible to get a job earning what i was... I currently owe 30k and have been paying 1150 a month to stepchange, most debts defaulted, Halifax CC not defaulted and now charging interest again. My question is, i have some saving's, but think I need to stop paying stepchange and go self managed as i only have a part months salary coming. If I write to creditors and tell them this, and only pay tokens, whats my chances of good settlement figures in December? I will be 55 and have 19k in old pensions i can use after taxes to offer settlements come December, or am i being stupid?
    LBM August 2015 70K 9 Creditors
    Current Status 43K 8 Creditors
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sourcrates/January, I have just lost my job, last time i was unemployed i was 40 and found no problem getting a new post but now, at 54, i think it will be impossible to get a job earning what i was... I currently owe 30k and have been paying 1150 a month to stepchange, most debts defaulted, Halifax CC not defaulted and now charging interest again. My question is, i have some saving's, but think I need to stop paying stepchange and go self managed as i only have a part months salary coming. If I write to creditors and tell them this, and only pay tokens, whats my chances of good settlement figures in December? I will be 55 and have 19k in old pensions i can use after taxes to offer settlements come December, or am i being stupid?

From my experience it's unlikely you will get really decent F&Fs as early as December. I've been paying token payments for almost 2 years now (£1 per month to each creditor). Most of them don't want to consider massive reductions yet. I am unemployed now and still they seem to want to wait.

Even if you stay with SC - you can work with them to massively reduce the monthly payment to creditors. If you go self managed you can knock that right down to real token payments.

Despite the above, creditors treat each case individually and you may have more luck than me. For example they may consider I have equity in my property and can therefore play a long game with me. If you rent, they may think - let's take what's offered whilst we can. This is just an example but as I said they seem to treat people differently and there is no rhyme or reason to their logic for calculating F&F discounts. You can but try :beer:
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure