DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sorry no idea how to quote.....

Below a post you'll see a line of icons and if you click on the orange one that looks a bit like a 'thought bubble' or 'balloon' it'll open up a text box with the quoted post and you simply type below that text. You can then both preview the post and submit a reply.
  • Weakmoments
    Weakmoments Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Sirry if I am unclear PRA last year sent a reconstructed agreement and said it was unenforceable. Yesterday I received statements and asking me to call them. Which I did over the phone they have said it!!!8217;s enforceable. Should they notify me in writing that it has become enforceable again?
  • Hi does anyone have any tips on dealing with Lending Steam?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,825 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Sorry if I am unclear PRA last year sent a reconstructed agreement and said it was unenforceable. Yesterday I received statements and asking me to call them. Which I did over the phone they have said its enforceable. Should they notify me in writing that it has become enforceable again?

Once a debt is deemed unenforceable, that status will not change unless they come up with the required paperwork.

Sending a statement once a year is necessary under the consumer credit act, and asking for contact from you, has no bearing whatsoever on the accounts enforcability.

In England and Wales, the creditor can still ask for payment, they can still report on your credit file, what they cannot do is enforce the agreement through the courts.

So they can ask you to pay, but they cannot force you to pay, usually you would send a letter stating due to the lack of a valid credit agreement, you will not be making any further payments to this account.

That normally does the trick, and they go bother someone else.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates
    edited 11 May 2018 at 10:39AM
    Hi does anyone have any tips on dealing with Lending Steam?

Hi,

You treat them like any other creditor, are they a special case or something ?

I get slightly irritated when people post asking how do you deal with such an such a lender, you deal with them like you would any company, its usually best in writing, but they all have to follow the same rules and regulations, none of them are above the law.

If they do not respond to you, as you would like, they all have individual complaints procedures, and you have the option of the FOS, if you remain unhappy, the same as any other FCA registered lender in the UK.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi,

You treat them like any other creditor, are they a special case or something ?

I get slightly irritated when people post asking how do you deal with such an such a lender, you deal with them like you would any company, its usually best in writing, but they all have to follow the same rules and regulations, none of them are above the law.

If they do not respond to you, as you would like, they all have individual complaints procedures, and you have the option of the FOS, if you remain unhappy, the same as any other FCA registered lender in the UK.

Thank you so much and apologies, I'm just little more concerned when it comes to dealing with them as opposed to credit cards etc. I'm just getting started with all this and am quite stressed - reading all your kind messages of support are really hopeful though.
  • sourcrates
    Thank you so much and apologies, I'm just little more concerned when it comes to dealing with them as opposed to credit cards etc. I'm just getting started with all this and am quite stressed - reading all your kind messages of support are really hopeful though.

Yes i realise it can be daunting at first but creditors are obliged to treat you fairly, whatever the problem may be, there is a common misconception that they wont do this, and some are worse to deal with than others, that`s why sticking to written contact only, putting everything down on paper, and sticking firmly to your guns, is the recommended way to deal with anything to do with debt.
  • Afternoon everyone,

I've been on a DMP for the past 3 years and today I received a letter from PRA group offering to settle one of my debts at a 65% discount.

I'm in a position to accept this offer however I wanted to check the wording of their letter. It says 'your credit file will show default partially satisfied' and 'we will not pursue you for the outstanding amount which remains due'.

Is this ok or should I write back and confirm whether my credit file will show the account as closed and that no other company will take action to collect or enforce the debt?

Thanks in advance for any help :)
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • sourcrates
    Afternoon everyone,

I've been on a DMP for the past 3 years and today I received a letter from PRA group offering to settle one of my debts at a 65% discount.

I'm in a position to accept this offer however I wanted to check the wording of their letter. It says 'your credit file will show default partially satisfied' and 'we will not pursue you for the outstanding amount which remains due'.

Is this ok or should I write back and confirm whether my credit file will show the account as closed and that no other company will take action to collect or enforce the debt?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Ideally it should say "we nor our agents will pursue you", but i think that would be acceptable.

Your credit file will show as a partial settlement yes.
  • DMP_Tiger
    DMP_Tiger Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi all, after reading through a lot of this thread a DMP doesn't seem so bad after all. I have £32k of unsecured debt which I had been on top of until recently (no missed payments).

1) Obviously my credit file will be wrecked for 6 years but will that affect mobile phone contracts and insurance renewals if I pay monthly?

2) My parents sometimes give me cash gifts of a few hundred pounds, do I have to tell Stepchange if that happens or can I save them up over 2 or 3 years towards a full and final settlement?

3) I receive a regular monthly payment of £280 from an investment policy, do I have to tell Stepchange about that or can I spend it on nice things instead? I can't cash in the investment because it's in my father's name and only comes to me on his death.

4) The debts are all in my name so is it just me that has the DMP or does it have to be joint with my wife? She currently has no income so can't help the repayments in any way.

5) Is it best to go with Stepchange or Self manage?

Thank you :)
    August 2018: Secured Debt £70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,657 Total £104,660 DFD: March 2031
    January 2019: Secured Debt £68,269 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,457 Total £102,726 DFD: March 2031
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure