PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

80s party OS food/clothing ideas

Options
2»

Comments

• Zooxanthelle
    Options
    Word of warning about a vodka jelly rabbit.. once me and my friend found a rabbit mould in the back of his mom's cupboard so we decided to make said vodka jelly.
    The rabbit came out rather collapsed and sad. But it was quite funny.

80's party sounds like such fun! I want to come!! :beer:
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    vodka jelly better in shot glasses really, alcohol makes it a very soft set. Have fun!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    may I suggest that on your Ritz crackers you spread cream cheese and top with a slice of cucumber or a slice of tomato? and for a bit of variety you could just snip some chives over the cream cheese. I can remember doing a birthday party for my daughter in the late eighties and she had three different kinds of pizza, some of the ritz thingies, sausage rolls, cheese stix and bowls of different kinds of crisps, mini cheddars, nuts and twiglets.
    sweet stuff was I believe cheesecake and a sara lee gatuau (gatow? gataua? how do you spell it?), along with some of those pink and white wafers.
    But, she was only 12 or 13 at time - it was her first grown up party (all girls and NO alcohol) and the rest of the family were all banished for a couple of hours!
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Seakay wrote: »
    vodka jelly better in shot glasses really, alcohol makes it a very soft set. Have fun!

You do have to get the set right, but it stands up fine if you do get the right proportions. I make vodka jelly in a loaf tin every Christmas/NY to turn out. :)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 February 2011 at 9:55AM
    Options
    :) Gordon Bennett, my youth is now far enough in the past to be the subject of retro-themed parties..........?! ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You could channel some of the popstars of the era; go new romantic-piratical (frilly shirt, waistcoat, tight trousers, high boots.) Back-comb long hair into a high-pompadour at front/ ponytail at back. Ra-ra shirts over black leggins under legwarmers (mismatched colours). Batwinged tops with slit necks sliding off one shoulder..... Fingerless gloves, lacy or otherwise....Armfuls of chunky bracelets. Underwear as outewear... Makeup was v .v. heavy on the stripy blusher and bold lippy; google for Bananarama. Look at Madonna and Rosanna Arquette in Desperately Seeking Susan. The fellers wore even more. Can't recall too much about the food as was a starving student in bedsit-land living on baked beans but we were tragic enough to consider Viennetta to be a sophisticated dessert. ;) I have vague recollections of it being very "permed" in the early eighties. I have personally wiped my memory, rounded up most of the photos and murdered eyewitnesses. I give hourly thanks we didn't have FB etc back then so that our naffness wasn't posted for all to see....

:) You have a ball, you young person, you!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • sandiesparkles
    Options
    i love arctic roll £1.99 from coop. but i would also recommend crispy pancakes. i liked cheese the best, you can chop them in half and have them as finger food.

have fun..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport