MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Ken ‘save’ Deidre’s kids from being taken into care?

Options

Comments

• charis18uk
    Options
    Hell no! Firstly this is a well known type of scam. I fell for a similar one a few years ago. Woman pushing a buggy saying she'd lost her purse and needed bus fare home, only a quid. I thought what the hell and gave it to her. A week later this very woman and her scam was discussed in the local paper.

Secondly, if all that was wrong with the house was money issues, that would not be grounds for taking kids into care. It's a ridiculous idea that they would do this. The problems would be more deep seated to attract the attentions of SS.

Thirdly, £10 just wouldn't solve the problem. What happens next time? How is it empowering the person to be creative and solve their own problems if they are bailed out of a situation. I'm sure anyone who is in debt would agree that having to actually sort that debt out is the best lesson in life for staying debt free.
  • phemalee
    phemalee Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    You cannot choose to be smarter; intelligence is innate. That is like saying "I will do something I am perfectly able to do if you do something you are incapable of doing". Nice!

Whosforachat, slightly off topic but please don't get upset, perhaps you don't get the fact that it's tongue-in-cheek? Perhaps you're just having a bad day?

If you look back at my other sparse, small amount of posts you'll see I've been very helpful to other money savers rather than, totally unprovoked, criticise people just because of their forum signature.

Thank you though for your explanation about the characteristics of intelligence.
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    I know there are many scammers who spin the same stories time after time to get money from strangers (needing bus fare home of whatever), but if this woman is in tears she's unlikely to be one of them.
    It might be her fault she's run out of money, or it could be due to circumstances beyond her control. The point is, it's unlikely to be her children's fault.
    If I could afford to I would not only buy her a couple of powercards, I'd offer to go home with her and help her tidy up too.
    Secondly, if all that was wrong with the house was money issues, that would not be grounds for taking kids into care. It's a ridiculous idea that they would do this.
    Though being out of electricity by itself probably wouldn't do it, you'd be surprised how little it takes to provoke an extreme overreaction from some social workers. I'm not suggesting that all or even most of them are like that, but I know at least a few are.
  • MJay
    MJay Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmmm,
    It would take a lot more than that to "take her kids away".... The Court process today is such that many children are left in desperately vulnerable positions and parents given endless opportunities to 'prove' themselves....

In the meantime, a few months of a tiny child life not having their basic nurture needs met can profoundly effect a child's long term developmental prospects...

Keep your cash.
    :rotfl: Older and growing
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry, but this woman needs more help than my tenner could give and who is looking after her kids while she's out desperately searching for cash?
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • climbgirl
    climbgirl Posts: 1,504 Forumite
    Options
    I would give her the money without question. At the end of the day if she is scamming then she answers to god. People nowadays are far too judgemental and want to believe the person is scamming so they don't have to put their hand into the pocket and give.

It's not that people are unhelpful and they want to believe the person is scamming, it's that most of the time it is a scam! I agree with you, it's a horrible situation if it was true and I think that most people here would help if it could be guaranteed that the situation was geniune.

But people take advantage of this and there are many, many scammers who prey on the generosity of others when faced with a sob story. I live and work in central London and not a day goes by when I'm not approached by people asking for money, most with some kind of distress story. Most of which are total lies.

It's sad that the few genuine cases of need will not get help because scammers have destroyed any sense of generosity which was there. But I understand why people (including myself) automatically say no - it's not because we're horrible, judgemental people. It's because we're tired of being ripped off!
  • laughing_cow
    Options
    climbgirl wrote: »
    It's not that people are unhelpful and they want to believe the person is scamming, it's that most of the time it is a scam! I agree with you, it's a horrible situation if it was true and I think that most people here would help if it could be guaranteed that the situation was geniune.

I agree. If I was certain that this woman was genuine then I'd happily help, but unfortunately the scammers have ruined it for the genuine cases, and in big cities like London it seems more likely to be a crook most of the time.

It's not just that people are disinterested in helping others, they are sometimes afraid. A few years ago I stayed with a man at a bus stop and called the police because I was concerned about him. It turned out that he had lost his medication and was not the 'random nutter' he appeared from first glance. Most people ignored him, but it was late at night, an isolated spot, and not long after a knife attack from a care in the community case, so you can't blame people for being afraid. I'm glad I helped, but in retrospect it was possibly a bit foolish of me.

Incidentally, re social services. In my experience growing up with foster brothers and sisters, parents usually get quite a few chances. One boy we fostered was repeatedly sent back to his mother who wasn't a capable parent and was rarely there because she was funding her heroin problem through street prostitution. Sadly he's now in prison for murder :( and I can't help wondering how his life would have turned out if she'd not been given so many chances......
  • liitleblackcat
    Options
    Have none of you cynics heard of the parable of the Good Samaritan? Most prepayment meters are now card based so the way to deal with the possibility of it being a scam is not to hand over cash but to go with the young woman to an appropriate shop and offer to add it to her card. You will feel better and she can't spend the money on anything else.

I have stopped giving to anyone begging or collecting in the streets - I give to charity through standing orders so they can reclaim the tax and if someone is begging I may offer food, depending on their age, but most likely not.
  • laughing_cow
    Options
    Have none of you cynics heard of the parable of the Good Samaritan? .

Yes - and i would be great if everyone was honest but unfortunately some have ruined it for others. It's sad but I'm not surprised when people are cynical.
    I have stopped giving to anyone begging or collecting in the streets - I give to charity through standing orders so they can reclaim the tax and if someone is begging I may offer food, depending on their age, but most likely not.

I agree - I usually give to the charities instead. There's one old guy who I've given food and new socks to, but that's about it. I don't give anything to the guy who sits near our local cash machine because when he's away from his 'pitch' he always has a can of beer in his hand and he has two mobile phones :rolleyes: .
  • Daz1234
    Options
    No, i wouldn't because if she went to social service, then they would probably pay it for her anyway and see what help she actually needs, and they wouldn't take her children off her for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure