refund on cancelled trip due to operation

Options
Hi all -

I'm wanting to take my wife away for a few days next month overseas (via plane to Prague probably); the catch is she is on the NHS waiting list for an operation and we have no idea when it will be. We've been on the list since before the start of the summer and have spent that time being non-committal to everything, and I'm starting to think enough is enough, I'd really like to take her away and not let this thing own us. However if the operation would cross over (I know the chances are slim) I'd like to do what I can to avoid loss of money. I can find hotels with a cancellation policy, but does anyone know if there's some sort of travel insurance policy, or a way to pay with American express or something like that which would allow us to claim it back? I know it probably wouldn't be seen as a surprise illness so I'm not super hopefully but thought I'd ask anyway; perhaps there's someone kind person out there who's been in a similar position.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most airlines sell flexible, refundable tickets. Obviously they cost rather more than the usual ones, but the flexibility could well be worth it for you.

And the tickets that you get as rewards using Avios are flexible: if you have a stack of Tesco club-card points you could exchange them for Avios and use those to get flexible tickets from BA.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You won't get travel insurance if she's waiting for an operation
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • koalakoala
    Options
    You can phone the hospital and talk to the secretary of the department.
    Either get an idea of when or they can make sure you don't get the dates you're away
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 16 November 2018 at 1:55PM
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    You won't get travel insurance if she's waiting for an operation

Well you might, it depends on what kind of operation it is. If, for example, it's something like a bunion then insurers won't be too bothered, they'll likely just exclude anything relating to it.

If she's been on the waiting list for several months, presumably it's not anything life threatening.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well you might, it depends on what kind of operation it is. If, for example, it's something like a bunyan then insurers won't be too bothered, they'll likely just exclude anything relating to it.

If she's been on the waiting list for several months, presumably it's not anything life threatening.
    \
    But the OP wants a policy that will pay out if he has to cancel because his wife's operation clashes with the holiday.

A policy excluding anything to do with it wouldn't be much use.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    \
    But the OP wants a policy that will pay out if he has to cancel because his wife's operation clashes with the holiday.

A policy excluding anything to do with it wouldn't be much use.

Oh yes, I agree

I read Browntoa's comment to mean that because she is on a waiting list they just wouldn't be able to get insurance at all, full stop, so wouldn't be able to travel anyway even if the dates don't clash
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My daughter is waiting for an operation on her foot. The hospital asked if there were dates she was unavailable. They have a few days away booked between Christmas and New Year so she specified that. Can you do something similar with your wife’s condition?

Oh, it’s not a bunion by the way!
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    koalakoala wrote: »
    You can phone the hospital and talk to the secretary of the department.
    Either get an idea of when or they can make sure you don't get the dates you're away

Yes. Simply tell them the dates you will be unavailable.
  • dilby
    dilby Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanls everyone, lots of useful information. Insurance a no-go so in the end I chose a flight with the airline with the best cancellation policy I could find for where I wanted to go (jet2) and will just take the risk. Using avios was a great shout, but nothing was available! (I've used their cancellation policy before!)
  • koalakoala
    Options
    Why so reticent to phone the hospital?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills