New to the UK

Hi All

I will move to UK in next month, since that I don't have UK based current account at least for 1 month (you know, how the process will work for news in the UK), among these options : revolut , Monzo , Starling, which one supports the direct debit feature
for instance, if I want to get a only sim-card 30 days plan, based on my conversation with IDThree and VOXI(vodafone), it seems I can not because the payment should be handled by direct debit

so, which of these options will work better for me ? OR do you have any other suggestion?

Regards,

Comments

• Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Any UK current account will allow you set up direct debits, and online/mobile/internet banking is standard. If you are in the EU, you can open some accounts now, e.g.
    https://www.bankofscotland.co.uk/bankaccounts/compare-current-accounts/basic-account/#collapse1-1494018974059

Once you are in the UK it is quick to open an account. Some banks need you to show you are here for a period of time, so for example if you are a student you will need a letter from your college or university.

Most accounts can be opened online, which means you would have your sort code and account number instantly (which you need to set up a direct debit) - just click apply online, e.g..
    https://www.bankofscotland.co.uk/bankaccounts/classic/

Note: TSB are having IT issues which mean you need to go into a branch if you want to bank with them.

I would research accounts in the UK and just open one when you get here. Check their ID requirements on the website to make sure you have all the documents you need (usually passport, proof of address etc). For proof of address your accommodation contract may be ok, or a letter from a university/employer for the purposes of opening an account.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Don80 wrote: »
    Most accounts can be opened online, which means you would have your sort code and account number instantly
    Not if you're new to the UK with no credit record...

In my experience Monzo are good as they're relatively permissive about what ID they'll accept, don't require proof of address and you submit everything through the app:
    https://monzo.com/blog/2018/09/07/new-to-the-uk/

There are a few other banks who are similar, but the big names will almost certainly require a branch visit and multiple original documents to be supplied which someone new to the UK won't have.
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    dj1471 wrote: »
    Not if you're new to the UK with no credit record...

In my experience Monzo are good as they're relatively permissive about what ID they'll accept, don't require proof of address and you submit everything through the app:
    https://monzo.com/blog/2018/09/07/new-to-the-uk/

There are a few other banks who are similar, but the big names will almost certainly require a branch visit and multiple original documents to be supplied which someone new to the UK won't have.

If the OP plans to receive money from overseas, I think I would have some concerns about Monzo - they don't (by their own admission) have a reliable method of receiving money from overseas, so you'd need another account able to do this.
    https://monzo.com/blog/2018/07/24/receiving-international-payments/

Many banks do let you open the account online, but yes, often need you to physically show up at a branch with your ID.

I work with international students mostly on Tier 4 visas, and part of what we do is help them open accounts in their first week in the UK. Typically they need 3 things
    * Their passport
    * A letter from us confirming they are a student
    * Proof of address (usually an accommodation contract matching the address on our letter)

At the end of the day, my advice would be to check with the bank and they will keep you right.
  • I went through a similar experience when I moved to the UK - I did not have any UK credit history so opening anything more than a basic account was problematic. I was able to prove my identity, but having proof of address was the thing that I had the most issues with.

Monzo/Starling are great as a first stop. They can be opened online without the more rigorous address proof required by other banks - they simply need a valid UK postal address where they can send the cards. They are full UK current accounts and can accept direct debits - I haven't used them to transfer in money from overseas, but they should be useful in that you have a place to deposit money, pay bills, etc. After you are a bit more set up you could look to opening an account elsewhere if they don't have all the features you need.
  • Here's what i did couple of months back. Opened a Monzo account, asked one of my cousins to transfer some money in that. Used it for TFL and other small purchases for couple of days, requested them to send me a signed bank statement via in-application chat and then applied for a current account at Natwest online. Submitted BRP/Passport and Monzo bank statement as proof of address. Had a Natwest account up and running in matter of few days. For mobile sim, i would say buy a Pay as you Go number for first couple of months and then apply for a sim only contract and port your old number to new network.
  • Santander have an account targeted at people who've just moved to the UK. I've no experience to go on other than the website, but the fact they offer a product of this nature suggests they'll understand what kind of ID it is and isn't reasonable to expect you to provide.

£1 a month fee though.

https://www.santander.co.uk/uk/current-accounts/essentials-current-account
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family