Hotel change on arrival without prior notification

Options
Just got back from a weekend in Switzerland. Booked a Hotel Lucerne for the 2nd Night of my stay which looked amazing on the website. I picked that particular hotel for its quirky rooms and fantastic location overlooking the river and it's historic 300yr old bridges. When we got to the sister hotel to check in I was told that they had given me a complimentary upgrade to the sister hotel instead of going back to the other one. However when I got to the room I was disappointed as the room was smaller than what I had booked at the other hotel and the room was dark, dingy and had no views of the river just of the building opposite. I went to reception and stated that I wasn't happy and asked if I could go to the other hotel but I was told this wasn't possible as the other hotel wad closed as the lift was broken ..I then contacted Agoda (whonI booked the room with) and they replied stating that they were sorry and offered me complimentary breakfast. I accepted this but again emailed saying I wasn't happy and they then offered me a $9
56 gift card to use on my next booking with them. My question is should I have been informed of this before my arrival and should I have been able to refuse the room I was given? It was a total let down. There were pictures of the other hotels in the same chain in reception and they all looked amazing! Have I the right to anything more?

Comments

• koalakoala
    Options
    You should have refused at the time, why did you accept it ?
  • ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who is to say when the lift broke down ?, normal procedure is for the hotel to contact the booking agent , who in turn inform you, with the number of active bookings that Agoda manage it is not something that will happen overnight.
    You would have been offered a hotel room at the same price bracket that you originally paid.
  • Lisa.O
    Lisa.O Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    I only accepted the breakfast. I was going to tell them that they could keep the $9.56 and put it towards fixing the lift. There was nowhere else for us to stay .. we had travelled by train as there was no parking or cars allowed in the old town .. apparently the room we were placed in was an upgrade.. the rooms were priced higher than what I had originally booked.. it's more the fact that they could have told me before and I would have cancelled .. I know things happen... am I within my rights to ask for anything else?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Lisa.O wrote: »
    I only accepted the breakfast. I was going to tell them that they could keep the $9.56 and put it towards fixing the lift. There was nowhere else for us to stay .. we had travelled by train as there was no parking or cars allowed in the old town .. apparently the room we were placed in was an upgrade.. the rooms were priced higher than what I had originally booked.. it's more the fact that they could have told me before and I would have cancelled .. I know things happen... am I within my rights to ask for anything else?

you say they could have told you before, how long before did the hotel know they were going to change your hotel

you asked to go to the other hotel did you ask for a better room.

you also say the room you had cost more than your original so what is it you want from them now
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If there was nowehere else for you to stay what would you have done if you had been told that your chosen hotel was closed? You couldn't have booked another one, so would you have simply written off the entire holiday?
  • Lisa.O
    Lisa.O Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Two days before my stay the lift broke. I asked for a better room but none were available so I was told. We were only 1 night in this place. We would have stayed at husbands apartment an hour away and not bothered. Imagine you'd booked a suite at a swanky hotel and instead got dumped in an ibis budget room .. I guess I should have refused and not botheref
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure