Minimum Payment Hike

Options
I have had Lloyds credit card for a long time and have never missed a payment but they have just written to me and said that my minimum payment calculation is going up. What would have been a £400 minimum repayment will now be £620! Are they allowed to do that! Can they just change the rules so easily - it is going to be hard for me to find this extra money every month

Comments

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    From the minimum repayment figures you quote, you presumably have an outstanding balance of at least £20,000.

You need to calculate what monthly repayment you realistically can afford and contact your issuer.

Also, perhaps close this thread and post on the Debt-Free Wannabe board for advice.
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    I’ve had a letter from Lloyds saying if you’ve been paying the minimum payment for 18 months they would look to increase your payments to help you get out of persistent debt.

They can also stop you from spending if they feel your over comitted. They are trying to help I guess.

It doesn’t really affect me as 90% of the time I pay in full. I’d call them to see if they can come to an arrangement.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    mmm123 wrote: »
    What would have been a £400 minimum repayment will now be £620! Are they allowed to do that! Can they just change the rules so easily - it is going to be hard for me to find this extra money every month

It seems they can. I think it's wrong and unfair given this process wasn't in place when you ran up the debt. Somebody, such as you, shouldn't be put into a situation where a rule change pushes you into missing payments etc.

Personally I think the same rules should apply as with interest hikes. You should be free to reject and continue on the existing basis.

You could try complaining but I doubt you'll get anywhere because, supposedly, they'll be able to say that the change in underlying regulation is designed to "help" you.
    A4445 wrote: »
    I!!!8217;d call them to see if they can come to an arrangement.

All very well, but that will likely be noted and mess up the OP's credit history.

OP: is there anyway you can apply for a new card and shift the balance, ideally at a lower/0% interest rate?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All down to the new FCA rules to help those in persistent debt that has been talked about elsewhere here. If the bank do not take these measures they will be penalised. https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/new-credit-card-rules-introduced-fca
  • dazzaofdagenham
    dazzaofdagenham Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So with customers paying less interest per year......where will they earn all there profits
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 July 2018 at 9:44AM
    Options
    From a lower default rate over time hopefully, and smaller sums being defaulted on.
  • Larac
    Larac Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally, I would be looking to see how I can get that debt down. All you need is a 'loss of earning' for whatever reason and you will be 'up the creek'. I am speaking from experience as ended up with a DMP (£28K worth of CC debt). As a consequence interest rates are frozen and the debt starts to reduce. Unless you have some payment plan in place, this debt will go on forever. Its a bitter pill to swallow, but most likely your credit report is already shot to pieces with only paying minimum payments.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    As with previous regulatory changes, some CCs will take advantage by using them as an excuse to slip through changes that aren't actually required.
  • dazzaofdagenham
    dazzaofdagenham Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have no idea of defaulting rates etc on credit cards. But if people are forced to pay more, then in the short term will this not push up defaults?

From my own perspective......I was in credit card trouble about 6 years ago.......credit was and I think is still to easy to get and credit limits are increased far to soon and without check.

For example....my aqua card has a increase twice in the last year and is now 4 times the original limit that I started with just over 14 months.

Also my amazon card ( classic ) has a limit increase twice and been upgraded to the premium version with a limit of 5K from a initiL limit of 500 pounds.

Now I!!!8217;ve learnt my lesson in relation to spending money I don!!!8217;t have, but as I say credit to far to easy to obtain and credit limts increased far far far to soon
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have no idea of defaulting rates etc on credit cards. But if people are forced to pay more, then in the short term will this not push up defaults?

It certainly has the potential to. This is why lenders resisted the initial regulatory suggestions in 2010 that the min payments should be increased for the backbook, as payment shock would be too high.

However, over time, for those who do not default, their repayment behaviour will improve and their indebtedness will come down. Defaults are largely a result of bad habits.

Either way, minimum payments will only be going one way over the next few years, so it's something we'll all need to get used to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure