MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Ben go to Bill's wedding?

Comments

• trking wrote: »
    Ben should come clean about his finances and ask Bill to pay for his flight too - or relocate to somewhere in the UK for the wedding and save all the poor guests the costs of attending an overseas wedding. Really people should think of their guests before having a wedding overseas.

My sentiments exactly. What's more important - exotic location or closest family/friends around you. Unless everyone in your circle is wealthy, choose a location at home or pay for everything!
  • sluggy1967
    sluggy1967 Posts: 190 Forumite
    My brother announced some years ago that he was going to get married in the Carribean & wanted my husband to be best man. We told him that was fine if he wanted to go there, but we wouldnt be there because firstly, we couldn't afford it, and secondly, it wasn't a location we would personally choose for a holiday. I think it is extremely arrogant of people to choose such holidays and just assume that we are all desperate to join in. After realising MOST of their family and friends wouldn't be there, they abandoned the idea. Ultimately, they felt it was more important to have loved ones around them than an exotic location.
  • chr1s23
    chr1s23 Posts: 10 Forumite
    No.
    If Bill is paying for others, he should pay for his best man also!
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bill is paying for the others, but only the accommodation, not the flights - did you read that too fast?
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Going into debt for your own wedding is bad enough (not a good way to start married life anyway!) but going into debt to attend someone elses is plain stuipd.

Tell him thanks, buy you can't afford the flight. Agree with everyone else, if you want an exotic wedding, pay for everyone to go or don't expect any guests!
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I think there's another dilemma here, regarding the CO2 emissions that will be created as a result of all these people flying to the Maldives. If Bill is marrying someone who lives in the Maldives then fair enough, but otherwise, there are plenty of perfectly lovely locations for a wedding that would have a much smaller carbon footprint.

Perhaps Ben ought to raise this issue with Bill and suggest that for the sake of the children he and his future wife no doubt intend to have, flying dozens of people to the Maldives for a wedding is exactly the sort of extravagance we all need to start doing without.

The location of the Maldives is particularly ironic, given that this low-lying group of islands will become uninhabitable in only a few decades if the sea level rises only a small amount.

Getting them to do the right thing would also solve Ben's money problem.
    koru
  • Ben should just tell him he can't afford it. I'm sure his friend will be upset that he can't attend but if he's a real friend he will understand.
  • Joscar
    Joscar Posts: 139 Forumite
    this trip'll mean harsh budgeting, and basic food for the rest of the year.

Should Ben go to Bill's wedding?

YES

Regardless of the strength of the friendship.

The Maldives is a stunningly beautiful place that everybody should visit at least once in their life time. If the cost to Ben is just one year of budgeting and basic food it is a low price to pay for the holiday !!!

Plus we all know that he will get the best price for the flight using Martin's MSE tips.
    HOW MUCH CAN YOU SAVE?: OLYMPIC CHALLENGE 2007
    BRONZE 10% SILVER 25% GOLD 50% PLATINUM 75%
    January 7%
    February 13%
    March 20%
    April 27%
    May 32%
    June 39%
    July 45%
    August 54%
    September 62%
    October 68%
  • sinizterguy
    sinizterguy Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    Split the cost after talking.
  • Unfortunately many people decide to have big, expensive weddings and it doesn't just cost them lots of money, but the people who are invited too. Hubby and I have been to a family wedding which apparently cost the couple/their parents about £30k :eek: . This almost broke the bank for us too as we had to travel and pay for accommodation, gifts, etc, and whilst I suppose we had a choice to go or not, we would have been frowned upon had we not gone (ironically though, the couple in question got divorced 2 years later).

I'm sure that if Bill and Ben are good enough friends then Bill will understand Ben's financial situation, and therefore it shouldn't be a problem if Ben does not go. If Bill then decides to pay for Ben's flights then Ben has to decide whether he'd feel comfortable with that or not.

However, if Ben does decide to pay for himself and go then he should deffo get his money's worth from the free bar!!! :beer:
    Trust me - I'm a scientist!!! :idea:

Mortgage - too big to comprehend!

CC debt - none! :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills