Haggle with BT - our new guide

Comments

• mh1923
    mh1923 Posts: 525 Forumite
    BT.com wrote:
    If you want to move your broadband away from BT From 20 June 2015, you'll no longer need a MAC from us to move your broadband away. However, we would be delighted to talk to you about why you want to move, as there may be special offers available which could persuade you to stay! So please feel free to give us a call on 0800 800 150.

:money:I was going to use live chat, but I decided to try this number. They lowered my £52/month bill to £42/month, and when I said 'Can you do better?' they said they couldn't do better today, but that more deals will open up in a few weeks, so I should call back. And they could still give me the £42/month now.

We have a standard phone line, and fibre optic broadband. I know we can get it cheaper elsewhere, so I have put in a reminder to call back and haggle again.
    Hi, I'm Mich :o
    I won a years supply of Comfort fabric softener in November 2013 - more than half remains...
    2015 survey proceeds £115.36
  • johnbhoy10
    johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2016 at 6:06PM
    My recent experience. Firstly, i should state i'm limited because of geography and children and that my criteria will be different from a lot of people. I live as far from the exchange as possible so we're limited to 2/2.5Mbps ADSL speed. I don't think we're too device heavy as a household but with an xbox, 2 tablets and 1 laptop this speed just doesn't cut it. Their tv uses bandwidth as well i believe. So in my opinion we need Infinity. Also, my 4yo daughter NEEDS the disney junior channel.

Anyway, 18 month contract ending in March and they phoned me last week. Full price, which i'm now paying for my package, is £63.19 and they've just offered me same package for £39.60 for 12 months.That is for-

Line rental (i pay monthly), w/e and evening calls, unlimited infinity 1, Entertainment Plus tv package with kids bolt on channels and obviously BT Sport is free.

I also had a clause in my old contract that if speeds dropped 10% below min speed they've given me and they can't fix they i can leave without charge. They've allowed me to keep that clause. They are also going to add credit of approx £75 (3 months infinity charges) and £15 (3 months sport charges) because of my issues with them. For that price i'm willing to give them another shot.

Any existing customers beat that??
  • Tried all my charm to haggle with BT but failed miserably having been a phone customer since the 1970s and a broadband customer for 30 months. The maximum that they could offer was a reduction for unlimited broadband from their standard charge of £19.50 per month (not £18.00) to £10 per month (the maximum charge for most of the other suppliers).
    Consequently I have switched both phone and broadband to Sky for 12 months with free broadband (and an M&S voucher) - saving at least £20 per month. Thank you Martin for giving me the incentive (and courage) to switch.
  • Being another long term B.T customer with phone (anytime calls) and capped infinity 1 fibre broadband (40gb) followed the advice on getting a better deal for phone and broadband as years contract up managed to get the same with uncapped infinity 1 all for £15.85.Also took the line rental saver option and paid £194.28 up front.It just goes to show if you don't ask you don't get.Many thanks to MSE and B.T.
  • Daft_Vader wrote: »
    Being another long term B.T customer with phone (anytime calls) and capped infinity 1 fibre broadband (40gb) followed the advice on getting a better deal for phone and broadband as years contract up managed to get the same with uncapped infinity 1 all for £15.85.Also took the line rental saver option and paid £194.28 up front.It just goes to show if you don't ask you don't get.Many thanks to MSE and B.T.

Hi I have just haggled with virgin, got a good deal also
    You should get the haggler badge from MSE Andrea. pop over and ask the Badger for one :)
    SP 9#531=£620/SP 10 # 531=?PDBX 2016 #2 = £16,766.67/£12,000
    PDBX 2017 #2 = £1,200/£12,000

''If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain''
  • Motormad
    Motormad Posts: 134 Forumite
    I've ditched BT today after 37 years of loyalty and so glad I did it.For last few years they've given me a small discount on BB after haggling but I looked back at last years deal which was supposed to be BB for £10.30 a month and found they've been charging me nearer £14.I was going to keep my BT email address but found out premium mail is increasing from£1.60 to £5 a month,they just keep raising prices and service is a joke.
  • Well my experience this morning has been excellent. 18 months ago I had a bit of a nightmare with Origin broadband in Sheffield closing down and leaving me without broadband and no migration code so had to go through BT and pay the advertised prices Very long and painful story). Contract is finished this week so rang them and was offered my 38 meg FTTC for 13-85 a month for 12 months :j without even having to ask. They also threw caller id for free (1-75 a month normally) and as I have my mobile with them for £5 month I am really happy.

I have saved £20 month from a 5 minute phone call
  • Baby_Angel
    Baby_Angel Posts: 540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Paid line rental saver in advance and a ditch would have meant about £126 out of pocket. Currently on BT infinity 2 unlimited and really happy with speed. I had followed every advice on the haggle guide without even reading it. So haggled it to £17.50/month for 12 months. Currently paying over £28. Even going to virgin media for a similar package would be £32 a month. I was thrilled to fix it for 12 instead of their usual 18 months.
    SPC 08 - #452 - £415
    SPC 09 - #452 - £298
  • mobilejo
    mobilejo Posts: 333 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Called BT to haggle after price increase announcement.

I'm only 5 months into this contract having received Quidco cashback and a £60 voucher from BT when I started it so I assumed they would at least try to keep my business. I explained that the best comparable deal I found was £14 per month cheaper than their post-increase prices and included £70 cashback less £30 connection fees (£40 net). The guy said we can't match it and activated my 30 day notice period.

I was willing to sacrifice the cashback if they could match the month cost but oh well, I guess I'll be switching and getting the cashback too.
  • OldDIYer
    OldDIYer Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 May 2016 at 9:24AM
    Anyone else got a 'special offer' in the email about the BT price increase? It says:

- 'And here's a great deal available now.
    Get better value: We've reviewed your account and have a personalised offer for you, based on the services you have with us. Just log in with your BT ID or account number before 2 July 2016.'

I looked and it's £14/mth (+ line rental) for 12 mth contract BT Infinity 1 unlimited up to 52Mb - 46% off they say. I'm currently paying £16.90 for up to 38Mb.

Looks good to me.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure