Great 'cheap things to do in London' Hunt

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 June 2011 at 1:15PM
    I say this to everyone - when you arrive- buy a copy of Time Out magazine from any newsagent and it will list many free and bargain events in the capital. http://www.timeout.com/london. there is also a free app for Iphone if you have one.

Use maps on your phone instead of buying an A-z.

Another good app is vouchercloud that often throws up a free coffee or discounts when you are nearby a bargain!

Markets:
    Borough food market ( artisan and local/ sustainable food, plenty of free samples!)
    Brick lane market ( trendy, craft, artisan food, vintage)
    Roman rd market ( bargain clothes & shoes etc)
    Petticoat Lane market ( Sunday am, loads of bargain clothes, souvenirs etc in a historic place!)
    Spitalfields ( modernized, but very crafty market, lots of gifts, nice to see)

See film first often has freebies to see films, plays etc.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Daisy_doo_3
    Daisy_doo_3 Posts: 205 Forumite
    Last time we went to london, we did the bbc tour. Cost £10 lasts about 2'30 hours. Must be booked day before. It was really good. Informative, interesting, fun. Also might see someone famous!

You can also get free audience tickets from bbc, audience store, sro etc.

I also love Portobello Market - free, good stores - antiques, clothes, food etc, amazing houses in Notting Hill. A really experience (but gets very busy/crowded)Can walk from one end to the other (tube at either end)
  • I can't put links in, but here's a good website type in the www. bit then.... golondon.about.com/od/londonwithchildren/ss/uclday.htm
    It gives you a free day out with your kids. We went to the Grant Museum yesterday (it's moved so be sure to look up the right address so you can find it), even the stroppy 15yo liked looking round the skeletons and preserved specimens.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    locations of famous films shot in London

http://www.londonforfree.net/outdoors/filmsets/filmsets.shtml

and album covers

http://www.londonforfree.net/outdoors/filmsets/albumcovers.shtml

all for the price of a travelcard
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • During the summer there are hundreds of free things on all along the river.

At Festival Hall they have music and dances and all manner of randomness http://ticketing.southbankcentre.co.uk/find/free.

At the National Theatre they have Watch This Space http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/wts (the 2011 programme hasn't been announced yet, but it will be soon).

At The Scoop, near Tower Bridge, they have free theatre and sometimes music and films too http://www.morelondon.com/events.asp .

In addition to the entertainment, the river on a lovely sunny day is the best place in London to be for people watching and general excellence.
  • kaz0705
    kaz0705 Posts: 240 Forumite
    Techno wrote: »
    Contact your MP to arrange a tour of the Clock Tower (Big Ben) and Westminster Place (Houses of Parliament) for free plus write to the Tower of London to get on the Ceremony of the Keys tours when they are putting the Tower to bed for the night.

I used to work for Parliament and have been on a million tours- they're BRILLIANT (although, to some extent, depends on the guide!). I always feel quite passionate about this: it's your democratic right to visit parliament! No MP can refuse you a tour (but you need to be flexible on dates!). Use theyworkforyou.com to find out your local MP. Additionally, you can also visit any Select Committee meetings and APPGs. I went to a Treasury Meeting after Northern Rock crashed and it was filled with frayed tempers and insights to the background; very interesting.

Big Ben gets booked up months and months in advance but is worth doing- you get to be right by the bell when it goes off! (with ear plugs!)

Whilst I am anxious about sharing this place with people, one of the cheapest lunches you can get in Notting Hill is just off Portobello Road, Books for Cooks. It's a recipe book store (not just a clever name) but has a test kitchen at the back. Each day (except Sundays) they do one meat recipe and one vegetarian recipe from two different books as well as about 5 or 6 different cake recipes. All AMAZING and two courses is £7! Cheapest lunch in West London, I'd guess.

But please avoid going there! :)
    LBM: January 2010
    DFD: August 27th 2012
  • msph321
    msph321 Posts: 58 Forumite
    This is GREAT stuff. Thanks for sharing. By all means, please keep the information coming.
    Listing debts to help keep my eyes on the prize
    Discover - $0 (!!!) :T
    AMEX - [STRIKE]$500.00[/STRIKE] $200.00 | BofA - [STRIKE]$3000.00[/STRIKE] $2000.00 | Capital One - [STRIKE]$2079.60[/STRIKE] $1745.00 | HSBC - $800.00 | Chase - $4000.00 (estimate) | Student loans (federal & private) - will likely be paying for life :mad:
  • There is currently a free fake beach on the South Bank complete with beach huts and sand which will be there until September. Also a fairground nearby with helter skelter and carousel, although that may be attached to E4's Udderbelly event which is on until 17 July and has comedy at very reasonable prices.

I'd also vote for the museums, and if people are prepared to go slightly outside central London would suggest the Horniman Museum in Forest Hill, the Museum of London Docklands at West India Quay (who currently have a really good exhibition about pirates although you have to pay to get into that bit), and the National Maritime Museum and Royal Observatory in Greenwich.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • superlative
    superlative Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There are lots of great free festivals in London, often music and dance, sometimes more obscure themes, and usually in London's wonderful parks. A great sunny-day day-out, take a picnic!

I can't post links, so google 'free london summer festivals' or 'free london music festivals' The viewlondon site has good lists of free festivals

• kaz0705
    kaz0705 Posts: 240 Forumite
    Also, I know it's cliched, but I have just moved to West London and have discovered that the walk through Hyde Park from Hyde Park corner tube through to Bayswater is beautiful- you start off in the Rose Garden and it just keeps getting better.

For beer lovers you *have* to try The White Horse on Parson's Green (district line). Over 180 beers to choose from and the 'standard' ones are actually cheaper than most places in London. They also match their (amazing) food to beer instead of wine which is quite the revelation to a beer-convert like myself!

Also try googling 'free london walks'. the 'city of london' one was fantastic, talking in loads and giving you snippets of info. Also take you to the 'wall of heros' which is in a hidden garden in the city. the wall is covered in plaques for unsung local heros- very touching!
    LBM: January 2010
    DFD: August 27th 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family