PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Spring!!!

Comments

• pookiewn
    pookiewn Posts: 471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you for starting this! It's been such a stunning day and is starting to get dark as I found it :)

I will finish the house before spring, not sure I've enough writing room to add the list!
    The garden will be prepped for veggies in the summer. :)
    De clutterring will take place too, wouldn't believe how much junk is in this house :(

Off to pot some chilli and pepper seeds... :)
    "Live each day as if it were your last and garden as though you will live forever"
    Anonymous
  • pollyskettle
    pollyskettle Posts: 2,163 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2011 at 5:03PM
    Lovely idea for a thread! The only preparation idea for Spring that I have is to buy those little pots of jonquil from Morrisons when they have them and dot them around the house. When they have finished flowering I plant them in the front garden and buy some more. I think they were £1 a pot last year and they make the place feel so much brighter. I did this last year too and I have lots of lovely little green shoots poking their head through the earth in the front garden :D

I did a full 'spring clean' between christmas and new year so that's just being kept up to date - for some reason I always do this, I think I get twitchy with the children home and the mess that is created at Christmas!

I shall read your ideas with interest (and a notepad at the ready!)

Oooo I did think about popping some chilli seeds in as I did them too late last year and does anyone have an idea of something I could make to put between the layers of things I'm storing away until next winter - maybe little lavender bags or something (to keep the post less gardening!)
    "A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits." - Mary Cooper
    "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058
    Forumite
    Thanks frugal -

my springy plans are to find a how to beginners (or idiots) guide to get some veg growing - the when is right to plant etc sort of stuff
    get my windows cleaned inside and out - the sun today showed up just how bad some of them are
    get dog bathed and groomed
    investigate lino for the dining room
    paint dining room and downstairs toilet

Have checked my meters again today and we have used half the amount of gas as we did the week before - so obviously spring must be coming - its a relief as my gas/elec bill stands today at £500 and still almost three weeks till the bill.
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We have already started the decluttering process, as DH has decided it's time to redecorate the dining room, and the front hall, and to move the living room door and knock a wall down..... Don't think I'll be spring cleaning until that's don?!

Trouble is, there are 3 full bookcases in the dining room, and the computer table and... where to put it all.
  • I've not been turning the heating on at all during the day till 3pm when the children come home and it feels chilly when it's drawing in dusk.

I'm going to enter my readings to predict my next bill tomorrow. At least there's a let up in the heating for a little while as the past two months have hit us hard financially.

I noticed my snowdrops are popping through when I came home from the school run :D still they come out when it's knee deep in snow but shhhhh! It's springlike :D;):rotfl:
    weight loss so far: 6lbs
    clothes neutral in £2011: fund.. £13.23
    virtual sealed pot member # 99: £5.03
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sorry hit the wrong button & sent my last post before I finished typing it.

I have got rid of some things on freecycle. On Saturday offered some books we had used when home educating, and a lovely lady who is home educating her son came and picked them up on Sunday morning. This morning in the post I had a hand-made thank you card from her. It really made my day.
  • shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Thanks frugal for setting up this wonderful spring post.......I love the spring and always say its my best time of the year, ive been out and done my hens mucked,fed watered and dug a bit ground over , super large worms out there, it must be all the rain we had yesterday...............:mad:

Birds are busy eating alot of my different feeds ive put out, its been dam right nippy today even with all that lovely winter sunshine.............I cleaned a few more bird boxes out ready for the nesting season, cant wait, last year I built myself a terrace box for the sparrows, it will house quite a few, ive put it north facing and its on top of the chicken house so fingers crossed on that one, also got loads cobwebs and leaves out of last years nestboxes .........

Also put up some bigger holes boxes to try get some great tits here, cos we do have loads on the feeders, be nice for them to nest in the garden too..........

If it stay nice on wednesday im going to clean the summer house out , it just need a sweep and gentl tidy up, cant wait to get out there when the days get a wee bit warmer than they are now...................

Oh and I went out and got myself another 7 chickens this afternoon :Dto go with my 13 , so ive now got 21 hens..........they are all laying very well but as soon as I put one dozen out front to sell, I need more eggs, my son as also got 13 hens to he try to supply me , but word gets about how nice the eggs are so more people want them.........so with 34 hens that will have to do...................Id rather wear my wellies any day than put a decent pair of shoes on, I love my scruffy clothes so much, I even wear my wellies to go shopping in....:eek::eek: well we do live in the country so it quite the norm about here, well thats my excuse....:D:Dsoon have all the spring bulbs showing , cant wait for that either........im easy to please.....:)
  • Great idea for a thread. :T I do think we will have more wintery weather before spring comes, but its a thought that its not too far away. I plan to...

* start at top of the house and work my way down, cleaning

* start at the top of the house and work my way down decluttering

* wash all windows, inside & out

* wash all curtains, throws, extra blankets, cushion covers, sofa fleecys

* clean all carpets

* sort out books, cds, dvds, and return to original owners, give to charity, ebay, as appropriate

* put all winter clothes away, after washing and repairing as necessarty,

* look out all my lovely bright summery finery

* plan my summer holiday

* repaint patio furniture.....

(Unfortunately I will probably only plan my summer holiday :rotfl:)

I am going to have a lie down now, I feel exhausted!!

katie

• cornishlady
    cornishlady Posts: 1,446
    Forumite
    beemuzed wrote: »
    Sadly, I suspect BitterAndTwisted may be right in that we haven't yet seen the back of this winter - but I really love the idea behind this thread - just what the doctor ordered! It's good to keep in mind that we are now steadily seeing the days inch into slightly longer ones, the bulbs are just beginning to appear above the surface and so we can remind ourselves that spring will arrive eventually. Today, after a really wet start in the early hours, is cold but bright, so lovely after the grey and damp of the last few days.
    I'm going to start my list of things to do in a notebook ( and yes, window cleaning will feature!) Not so sure about changing from the snuggly duvet just yet!
    Great idea, Frugal!
    i agree going to keep my winter duvet on till march atleast .i've a few days annual leave this week so have been giving kitchen cupboard a good clean &srt out but i keep getting drawn back to the laptop,oops
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    What a lovely thread, thanks for starting it Frugal.

I havent made any plans for Spring, but now we have this thread I'll certaintly give it a thought. I do like spring cleaning though (and Autumn) so my plans will probably be based round having a sparkling house. Actually, one or two rooms could do with a coat of paint and the garage woodwork needs doing.............and the fence............and the shed..................this list could get rather long.

Pollys x
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure