PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

6000 meals under 50p in 2010; feeding your family on a low budget

Comments

• mark88man wrote: »
    mmm - bit selective PBS - typically only 1 meal a day with cheese, and I am using less than previously. I think you have convinced yourself for personal or professional reasons and nothing I do will convince you. Have you got something against cheese? - I bet you don't like Wallace and Gromit then :wink:

Nothing against cheese - in moderation. But cheese every day is hardly the sign of a varied, healthy diet. There's plenty of other things to pick on, but I thought I'd just highlight the overuse of cheese as an example of why this diet isn't particularly healthy.
    Grateful for your interest - I would be interested in some more detail on the bad things that will happen if I continue in this fashion. Vague allusions to potential things that are bad for you are not the kind of argument I find too convincing

Don't ask me, ask a British nutritionist what they think of the meals. I can almost assure you that they will find the diet very, very poor.

As for what will happen - eating habits gained in childhood often stay for life. Think about that one?
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Mark Something that I do nearly all the time is to make soup. DH & I have it for lunch most days and the children have it at weekends too. When they were younger & on packed lunches I used to send them into school with the usual sandwiches plus a flask of hot soup & they loved it. It's amazing what manner of veggies you can hide in it ;) Our favourites are Spicy Lentil (Not very spicy, just a hint), Mixed Veg with a couple of potatoes thrown in to thicken it before blending, Leek & Potato, Celery & Potato and Minestrone. There are some lovely recipes on the Grocery Challenge too :D HTH
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Reporting back for Sunday 17th January

End of Weekend - Boo hoo

Today's Summary - 16/18 meals 50p or under
    Summary Total - 275/306 = 89.9%

Breakfast: 50p or under (6/6)
    OP - Sainsbury's value Fruit & Fibre
    OH - Lidl Crunchie Oats
    DD2 - Scrambled Eggs (No cheese)
    DD1, DS1 : Cereal + OJ
    DS2 - Porridge with milk - 10p

Lunch: 50p or under (6/6)
    OP+OH+DS1+DS2 : Lentil and root vegetable soup (1/2 pk red lentils 60p, 1 leek 20p, 1 large red onion 20p, 1 lb potatoes 20p, 1/4 pack soup mix (dried peas, lentils, pasta) 15p + 1/2 loaf HM Bread = 10p = £1.45 = 35 p each
    DD1 : Cheese Omelette
    DD2 : Out

Supper: 50p or under (4/6)
    OP+OH : 2 portions (from 4 remaining) from Chicken & Vegetable Curry last night = 88p + 33p broccoli + 10p potato (to freshen it up) = £1.31 of food = 66p each
    DD1, DD2 : half pack each Spinach and Ricotta Tortellini = 34p
    DS1 : Noodles with sweetcorn
    DS2 : Veggie curry : one large onion 19p, Brocolli 30p, 1/2 Jar curry sauce 37p, 1/2lb potatoes 10p = 96p for 2 potions = 48p
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ..snip..
    As for what will happen - eating habits gained in childhood often stay for life. Think about that one?
    PBS - I do worry about our kids (for all sorts of reasons, though they are truly lovely), and I am trying to heed advice and move towards a healthier diet - it's just that it doesn't feel unhealthy when I see how much fruit, vegetables, and fruit juice that goes through the larder and that doesn't feel to me as dire as you imply nutritionalists would find it.

Pondering your post - I do think that the girls eat more of the cheese than the boys and I will look at that over the next week

If you had time a review next weekend would be welcomed
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Don't forget that cheese is a vital source of calcium if kids don't/won't eat yoghurt or drink milk say. (I know there are certain veggies that contain calcium!) As long as it's in moderated quantities then a little helping each day, alongside plenty of fruit and veggies, does no harm.;)
    Happiness is not getting what you want - it's wanting what you have :D
    (I can't remember the originator!)
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tut-tut-tut Mark

There's the cheese creeping in again, do you have mice in the house? for heavens sake your children will grow up to eek out an existence :rotfl:
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • Interesting thread Mark. Well done and good luck. This site will give you a rough idea of the government guidelines and might be of interest to you.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/eatwellplate/
    Murphy was an optimist!!!
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite

Didn't happen to me - since i left home I've never eaten cabbage boiled 'til it's grey or a plain boiled potato or spam fritters now I think about it:rotfl:
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Many thanks Mark for this thread. I have read it for the first time this morning, although I nearly did give up half way through, but glad I didn't. :D
    Ideas have kept popping into my mind, only to find that others have said what I was thinking. :rotfl:

One in particular, was using smoked paprika. It's used not quite daily, but at least 4 times a week. :o I add it to tomato sauce (home made), chilli dishes, bolognaise, macaroni & cheese, fish and shellfish dishes, even to an omelette or some scrambled egg. It just adds a little extra, and is scrummy. I advise just to add a tiny little pinch at first, to see how it goes, as it can be overpowering if you add too much. I also add it to mayonnaise for dips, sandwich fillings....the list is endless.

As to what to do with cabbage, here is another suggestion.

Baked cabbage
    (My apologies if this has already been posted, but not seen it on this thread).

1 cabbage cut into wedges (if it's a small cabbage, cut into quarters).
    Place in pan of boiling water and simmer for about 1 minute. (You could always steam if you prefer for a couple of mins).

Drain cabbage, reserving liquid to make sauce, and place cabbage wedges into ovenproof dish.

Sauce
    Make up a bechamel sauce, but rather than using milk, use cabbage water instead. The original recipe I had, was to add curry powder to the sauce, how much depends on your taste. If you don't fancy that idea, which really is very good, you can always make up your own sauce and add more veggie stock to give more flavour. I have tried it with a cheese sauce and it's very good too, I used half cabbage liquid and milk though, for this variation.

Pour sauce over cabbage and bake in oven (about 180C) for about 30 mins.

Do try out soya mince (the dried variety which you can get from Holland & Barrett, or perhaps locally, if you have a health food shop or grain store).
    It is a great source of protein if you don't eat meat. I also highly recommend eating lentils and other pulses too for their protein content. (I don't want to go into this in great detail and start off another debate, as I am not a dietician, just a vegetarian for many years).
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    nodwah wrote: »
    Didn't happen to me - since i left home I've never eaten cabbage boiled 'til it's grey or a plain boiled potato or spam fritters now I think about it:rotfl:

Didn't happen to my daughter either.....she now lives mainly on junk food! :eek: What happened to all those years I spent making sure her food was healthy and nutritional? :confused:

I am joking in a sense here, she still loves my home cooking, but to fend for herself is a different matter.:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure