Inconsistent addresses when applying for a mortgage

Options
Bingjamin
Bingjamin Posts: 21 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 16 November 2018 at 10:29AM in Mortgages & endowments
Hi all,

Understand this is in hindsight a very avoidable situation, but we are in a predicament none the less. We have recently received quotes for a mortgage and passed an affordability test, from which we have began our property search, found an amazing property and had an offer accepted. Yesterday advanced our mortgage application through a broker to get a MIP, which was in turn rejected by the lender. No detail where given, however on further investigation credit searches via Noddle have show my partner as 'not registered on the electoral roll', which is not the case.

In short, there are inconsistencies with her address. On the electoral roll she is registered to my current address and everything else (bank, payslips, driver license) shows her parents address. Stupidly this has not been picked up prior to where we are now. Everything I've read has pointed to this being a major issue, with addresses needing to be aligned in order to get a mortgage at all.

To make matters worse, we are being pressured to push through the sale and to instruct a solicitor and I cannot speak to my mortgage broker until Saturday. I understand this is our fault for not sorting this prior to where we are, however is there anything that can be done at this stage to resurrect our mortgage application quickly and the purchase of the house.

Thanks.

Comments

• kwame41
    kwame41 Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    That may not be the reason the application was rejected.

Im sure there is still time for your broker to help you sort things out.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Have a look at your own credit history and identify any negatives you find
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bingjamin wrote: »
    Stupidly this has not been picked up prior to where we are now.

Said rhetorically, one has to question why? Most people would change addressess out of sheer convenience.
  • DottieDam
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Said rhetorically, one has to question why? Most people would change addressess out of sheer convenience.

Well we have been in current rental for near three months and still receive more than 20 letters a week for previous occupants. Not to mention online shopping parcels!

Plus, we had major inconsistencies in addresses after going travelling, returning temporarily to in-laws, and moving into short term rental. It didn't stop the DIP but we did have to sort it all before putting in full application.

OP - not helpful but if this falls through maybe wait until you have a MIP before putting an offer in on a house next time.
  • Bingjamin
    Bingjamin Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 November 2018 at 5:24PM
    Options
    Its difficult because she has been essentially living between both addresses; to stay with me due to more space and stay at her parent to provide care for her mum. So it remained easy for her to college anything as she was always there so frequently.

Also this is the only real blemish on either of our records. Just have to hope that our broker is able to sort it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure