Speeding ticket and the date of the NIP

Options
Hi All,

My daughter has received a Notice of Intended Prosecution of a speeding fine.
The date of the offence was 03-10-2018, 40mph in a 30 mph limit area.
She has just received the NIP, which is dated 14-11-2018 and arrived on the 15th Nov, some 42 days after the offence. She is not disputing the offence, but my understanding is that, under the Road Traffics Offenders Act 1988, the issuing authority has to issue the notice within 14 days of the offence.
This clearly has not been done. How does one appeal the notice?

Comments

• FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is she actually the registered keeper on the V5? Any lease company or company car? The NIP only has to go to the registered keeper within the initial timer period.
  • Rebel_Phish
    Options
    She is the registered keeper and the notice has come to her home address
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 November 2018 at 11:48AM
    Options
    Go to the forums on http://forums.pepipoo.com/ you'll be able to get all the advice you need to deal with this. Make sure you read the stickies.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Has she moved house recently? Has the V5 address detail changed recently? (Just preparing you for the sort of questions you'll be asked at Pepipoo - which indeed is the best place for issues like this; don't try to register using a Hotmail address).
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Worked for Beckham.
    Hmm thought I'd posted this previously.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Scrapit wrote: »
    Worked for Beckham.

That's because the NIP went to the lease/hire company, and they had proof that the NIP arrived late. ;)
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What is the DocRef number on page 2 of the V5c? Answer that and it will tell you if the NIP is late or not.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    That's because the NIP went to the lease/hire company, and they had proof that the NIP arrived late. ;)

Well, they conveniently agreed that the NIP turned up 1 day late, which helped his defence. I'm sure the staff member wouldn't commit perjury of course. Never understood why fabulously wealthy people want to avoid having points on their license for an offence they committed, even if they had enough to tot up to a ban they could always get a chauffeur
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    Any where on the NIP does it say reminder? Although reminders are not always labelled as such, and ofcourse they don't have to issue reminders.

If the V5C is correct and dandy (doc Ref' on Page 2 would be of assistance) then it appears on the face of it the NIP could potentially be late (whats the date on the envelope?), all be it that there is no other anomaly that has not been left out.
  • Rebel_Phish
    Options
    The address has not changed. The NIP came to the correct address of the registered keeper, and owner of the car.

The offence was on the 3/10 and the date of issue on the NIP is the 14/11. Seems to me that the NIP has been issued too late. But nothing is ever that simple. I will take a look at pepipoo

The notice does not say that it's a reminder and the date on the envelope says that it was posted on the 14th Nov, so no delay in posting and its arrival at the registered address.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport