Transfer my Serps into my SIPP

Options
I had a letter this week telling me about my Serps pension. It was Barclays now its Reassure. I was advised to opt out when I started working in late 80's. I had forgotten about this so I rung up and I found out I can and have been no longer pay into this.
I have recently been advised to start up a SIPP pension, would I be better off transferring the old serps( approx. £20k )one into the SIPP?
I am paying Reassure yearly and the fund is just decreasing.

Comments

• Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    SERPS = State Earnings Related Pension. You did not pay into it except through NICs. It added to your state pensions.

You could opt out if you were paying into some other pension scheme.

You must be talking about that other pensions scheme.
    You need to work out what scheme that is. It isn't SERPS.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have recently been advised to start up a SIPP pension, would I be better off transferring the old serps( approx. £20k )one into the SIPP?

You say you were advised. So, what does the adviser say?
    I am paying Reassure yearly and the fund is just decreasing.

Why is it decreasing? Unless you know the cause, you are destined to see the same in the SIPP. As Barclays were a unit linked investment company, I suspect it has not been decreasing and you are misreading or misunderstanding it. And as SIPPs are the most complicated of all the pension options, the risk of you making bad decisions and false information is much greater.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You must be talking about that other pensions scheme.
    You need to work out what scheme that is. It isn't SERPS.
    I assume the OP means he opted out of SERPS for a few years and the NI contributions were paid into a personal pension instead. Many people still refer to this as their 'SERPS pension' as opposed to other pensions they might have , although in reality it is just another DCpot.
  • bow74
    bow74 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes I opted out of Serps way back in the day. I was only 17 at the time and was told to do this as it was the best option.
    The same was said about my endowment mortgage :( we all know how they worked out.
    Yes they took a % and put it into a pension pot I always called it SERPS sorry if I got it wrong I'm not an expert.
    The reason I said it was decreasing is because as I am no longer contributing to it, the pot has stayed the same, yet Reassure take a yearly fee from it, so every year its going to get less.
    The way I see it is, I am better off transferring the money out into my pension that way I only pay a yearly fee once as apposed to twice as is currently the way.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Yes I opted out of Serps way back in the day. I was only 17 at the time and was told to do this as it was the best option.

You didnt opt out. You contracted out. Common error in terminology. It was the best option and you should be pleased you did it.
    The same was said about my endowment mortgage we all know how they worked out.

Over 90% of the people who had endowments paid surpluses. So, those did work out. For the later ones with shortfalls, the shortfalls are often less than the cost difference compared to a repayment basis (i.e £25pm cheaper over a 25 year term is £7500. So, a shortfall of £7500 or less in that example would still see the person better off).
    The reason I said it was decreasing is because as I am no longer contributing to it, the pot has stayed the same, yet Reassure take a yearly fee from it, so every year its going to get less.

That is an incorrect assumption. Fees do not mean every year is going to get less.

Barclays only offered unit linked funds. So, you are asking us to believe that an equity based fund has stood gone backwards. That is highly unlikely. The only real way that is going to happen is if you selected a deposit fund. What fund(s) are you invested in?
    The way I see it is, I am better off transferring the money out into my pension that way I only pay a yearly fee once as apposed to twice as is currently the way.

That is not logical and I suspect you do not understand the charges. I highly doubt your "only" charge is taken annually. Most charges on investments are 1/365th. The SIPP charge may be annually but that is just one piece of the jigsaw. And just because it is annual, does not mean it is cheaper than monthly. It is the amount over the comparable period that matters. Not the frequency of payment.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    Options
    As Dh has said, the only reason the pension has been decreasing is you've invested in a terrible fund, perhaps a cash one. But there's no harm transferring it into your SIPP and choosing better investments.
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Worth checking if there is a penalty for transferring the money out of your 'SERPS' account early - there is with mine and it is quite large.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • bow74
    bow74 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks all
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Over 90% of the people who had endowments paid surpluses. So, those did work out. For the later ones with shortfalls, the shortfalls are often less than the cost difference compared to a repayment basis (i.e £25pm cheaper over a 25 year term is £7500. So, a shortfall of £7500 or less in that example would still see the person better off).

Over 90% seems very surprising. I had 2 endowments, one for a 40k mortgage in 1989 that paid 33k in 2014 and a top up for 16k in 1992 that paid 12k. I thought that was in the peak period for such mortgages.
    Ino longer had the mortgage when they matured.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Terron wrote: »
    Over 90% seems very surprising. I had 2 endowments, one for a 40k mortgage in 1989 that paid 33k in 2014 and a top up for 16k in 1992 that paid 12k. I thought that was in the peak period for such mortgages.
    Ino longer had the mortgage when they matured.

Maturities were being paid in the 80s that were massively in excess of the target figures. It is the post 2000 maturities that went wrong. Not the decades earlier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure