Cineworld Unlimited Card

Last year I got a Cineworld unlimited card via my works benefits scheme. It cost £151 for the year which had to be paid in one go. Now I have been a member for 12 months I get an automatic upgrade to the black card which gives me 3D movies free (just 2D originally) and increases my cinema food and drink discount from 10% to 25%. However, they now want to revert to their standard price of £214.80 for the year or £17.90 per month. They say I cannot purchase at the discounted rate via the work scheme and must now pay the full price.

I go regularly as I have a day off during the week every week (2 days every other week) whilst my wife and kids are at school so in terms of savings, I have saved over £500 this year on cinema tickets alone, so even paying £75 more this year I am still £425 better off before I even think about the extra £2.50s I have spent going to 3D movies.

Has anybody successfully negotiated a lower price with them? I am wondering if in the same way Sky, Virgin Media etc offer retention deals if maybe I could get the same from Cineworld.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Last year I got a Cineworld unlimited card via my works benefits scheme. It cost £151 for the year which had to be paid in one go. Now I have been a member for 12 months I get an automatic upgrade to the black card which gives me 3D movies free (just 2D originally) and increases my cinema food and drink discount from 10% to 25%. However, they now want to revert to their standard price of £214.80 for the year or £17.90 per month. They say I cannot purchase at the discounted rate via the work scheme and must now pay the full price.

I go regularly as I have a day off during the week every week (2 days every other week) whilst my wife and kids are at school so in terms of savings, I have saved over £500 this year on cinema tickets alone, so even paying £75 more this year I am still £425 better off before I even think about the extra £2.50s I have spent going to 3D movies.

Has anybody successfully negotiated a lower price with them? I am wondering if in the same way Sky, Virgin Media etc offer retention deals if maybe I could get the same from Cineworld.

You could try and negotiate.
    I've never done it so can't comment if it works.
  • ShaneUK
    ShaneUK Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

I have a similar scheme at my work, and mine too runs out soon..... I emailed them and asked the question, and got the opposite answer to you!
    cineworld wrote:
    Dear Shane,
    Thank you for your email.
    Please, be advised that you can use the promotional code from your work to renew your annual subscription.
    In order to do so, please contact our Unlimited Helpline and we will be more than happy to renew your subscription on the basis of the promotional code.

Should you have any further enquiries please feel free to contact our Unlimited Helpdesk Team on 0330 333 4444 (UK) or 0818 304 204 (ROI).

So, the way I understand it is that I buy it as normal, then give them a call!
  • DCFC79
    So can you not take out a membership via your works scheme so can you take out a second membership, this would mean you wouldnt get the black card which would get you the discounts on food.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have done this for a number of years (having originally signed up in 2003 before Cineworld bought out UGC).

I buy the 12 month membership through work and they send a code. The first time you put the code into their website and they send you a card as normal.

The next year you buy another 12 month membership and get another code. This time phone the Unlimited helpline and ask them to add the code to your account, when it adds 12 months onto the expiry date (and keeps the black card going).

As for discounts on food - I haven't ever bought anything in the 15 years I have been going as Cineworld are happy for you to take in whatever you want.
  • DCFC79
    Altarf wrote: »
    I have done this for a number of years (having originally signed up in 2003 before Cineworld bought out UGC).

I buy the 12 month membership through work and they send a code. The first time you put the code into their website and they send you a card as normal.

The next year you buy another 12 month membership and get another code. This time phone the Unlimited helpline and ask them to add the code to your account, when it adds 12 months onto the expiry date (and keeps the black card going).

That's interesting to know.
    Thanks.
  • Have had a card for a few years and do same as Altarf.
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget £350 - Spent £64.45 to date
  • DCFC79
    Have had a card for a few years and do same as Altarf.

Ive currently got an unlimited subscription so do you think I could phone up and get them to add on the code if I buy a 12 month sub through my works scheme ?
  • Not sure how it works if you are part way through a subscription. They are normally very helpful if you give them a call.
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget £350 - Spent £64.45 to date
  • ShaneUK
    ShaneUK Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Ive currently got an unlimited subscription so do you think I could phone up and get them to add on the code if I buy a 12 month sub through my works scheme ?

I would say yes, you can do this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport