My light-bulb moment, need help

13»

Comments

• nyc_451
    nyc_451 Posts: 502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi :)

I'd suggest looking for a better job within a customer service sector. There are many roles that can lead to promotions or at least give you the experience to apply for better jobs. You also tend to make friends when you work in a small team, eg foreign exchange bureau, a bank, a shop etc, so that might help you with mental health. It's very good that you've been working from a young age but you will be questioned at the interview as to why you've been stuck in a supermarket for so long - be honest or come up with a good convincing excuse, it's up to you. From my experience, being too honest sometimes doesn't help to get the job. :)

I've been working in customer service for the last 8-9 years, met many different people, learned a lot, made friends and even got a mortgage on my own. So working in a customer service isn't too bad.

I'd say only take some classes/courses if you know exactly what you'd like to do. But I personally don't think that working at the same place gave you enough experience to learn your strengths and weaknesses.

As for your debt, use a debt repayment calculator to see how much you need to pay monthly to get rid of it in X years, and stick to the plan. Don't worry about paying it off too soon, I'd focus on improving your life in other ways for now.

I have a big loan, I view my monthly payments as a any other bill and still spend money on myself and put some money aside for emergencies. If you don't have an emergency fund, start saving a small amount. Lets say you start putting money aside and find a new job, perhaps start doing more hours - then splitting with your boyfriend will not scare you because you'll have enough money for a deposit.

Anyway, good luck!
  • mrfoxy
    mrfoxy Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    blue_mango wrote: »
    Hi :)

I'd suggest looking for a better job within a customer service sector. There are many roles that can lead to promotions or at least give you the experience to apply for better jobs. You also tend to make friends when you work in a small team, eg foreign exchange bureau, a bank, a shop etc, so that might help you with mental health. It's very good that you've been working from a young age but you will be questioned at the interview as to why you've been stuck in a supermarket for so long - be honest or come up with a good convincing excuse, it's up to you. From my experience, being too honest sometimes doesn't help to get the job. :)

This is what worries me tbh. I know I've been in the same place for too long but it's not been without ups and downs and periods of illness etc. Plus I started there to do my studies in fairness. The careers advisor I spoke to said you can put a positive spin on being with an employer for a long length of time, such as loyalty etc. But I know it may prove my sticking point in all honesty.

When I think about applying for new jobs my anxiety really kicks in. I think the worst possible outcomes, such as being shy, nervous and trembling when talking to others etc. So at the moment, I'm not sure if I should continue with the CBT therapy that I'm awaiting and then look for new jobs, or just start looking for new jobs now.

But it's good I've stopped spending.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport