Phoenix Life | Private Pension

Options
Rikky
Rikky Posts: 8 Forumite
Hi,

I've been reading about Phoenix Life who I took a pension out with way back in the late 80's. It matured (paid up) when I turned 55, I'm now nearly 60.

I have read some real bad reviews about them which have shook me up.

As you can imagine, I'm fearful that by the time they decide to release it, I would have lost substainly via fees, market etc especially with what's going on with the brexit issue!

Apparently, the Ombudsman has received lots of complaints in many have been upheld in which the company in question was forced to compensate pensions based on compound interest.

The staff are well versed in procrastination, time tactics and simply cannot get them to accept my decision to cashout.

The reviewers echoe what I have been asking for years in terms of poor performance and bad management because it should be worth more than I have been told - currently standing at 60k which I believe should be much more?

I told them I want to take it all out and reinvest, spread around in an ISA, Savings etc. Since informing them of this as each day passes, it being eroded at a rate of 200 a day!

I would appreciate some pointers on what I can do to save what I have left before it is eroded by fees!

Many Thanks

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you transfer it to a SIPP and enter drawdown rather than "taking it all out" which is likely to cost you a great deal in tax?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 November 2018 at 7:58PM
    Options
    I have read some real bad reviews about them which have shook me up.

Really? I have absolutely no concerns about Phoenix life. There are some frustrations with certain legacy companies they own but nothing that would shake me up.
    As you can imagine, I'm fearful that by the time they decide to release it, I would have lost substainly via fees, market etc especially with what's going on with the brexit issue!

I cant imagine that. I suspect your imagination on a subject you know nothing about is driving this.
    Apparently, the Ombudsman has received lots of complaints in many have been upheld in which the company in question was forced to compensate pensions based on compound interest.

The ombudsman does not award compound interest in cases of wrongdoing. It uses 8% simple.

I just checked the complaints stats at the FOS for Phoenix and the number of complaints received is quite low. 250 to Phoenix life ltd and 113 to Phoenix Life Assurance Limited over the last 6 months. The figures are ballpark for expectation given the number of policyholders they have. Indeed, possibly a bit lower.

What is surprising is that the FOS only uphold 15% and 17% of complaints (respectively on the two parts). That is way below the average of 30%. This indicates a company with a good complaints culture giving the correct outcome the majority of the time.

Your comments do not reflect reality.
    The reviewers echoe what I have been asking for years in terms of poor performance and bad management because it should be worth more than I have been told - currently standing at 60k which I believe should be much more?

But is your expectation realistic or pie in the sky?
    I told them I want to take it all out and reinvest, spread around in an ISA, Savings etc. Since informing them of this as each day passes, it being eroded at a rate of 200 a day!

Well I appreciate your generosity to the Treasury but is that really a sensible thing to do? Yes, it is very kind of you to gift the taxpayer but i very much doubt it is the right course of action.

The last 6 weeks have been a market downturn. So, values will drop in that period. Just as they go up in positive periods. You cant get one without the other.
    I would appreciate some pointers on what I can do to save what I have left before it is eroded by fees!
    It isnt charges that are lowering the value.

Firstly. Stop reading completely rubbish online reviews. Phoenix have bought hundreds of old insurers over the years. Many of these still operate out of the same old life offices with the same staff as their original brand. Some of these offices are better than others in terms of admin. So, any of these reviews that mention Phoenix without mentioning the legacy company are just pointless. Are you talking about a Phoenix plan operated out of Glasgow? or Peterborough? on completely different systems, in completely different investment funds with completely different staff?

Phoenix are financially sound. So no issues there. As I said, the main issue is that they can be a bit old fashioned in places or operate methods which can frustrate but absolutely nothing you should be scared of.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure